Are you satisfied with Microsoft's "retrenchment" mobile strategy?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
When Nadella became Microsoft CEO and announced his mobile strategy inc "retrenchment" and the mantra "mobile first, cloud first" many people said it was the right path to take. What is your opinion and verdict of the strategy now?

Tunde Fajimi

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Retrenchment means "becoming invisible" in this case. And now they want to be invisible in their own stores too (at least on phone).

"Mobile first" is not a true statement. Maybe he should clarify as "mobile experiences, not devices, first". "Cloud first" seems to be accurate with Office 365, etc.

Scott Pisciotta

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
When he said mobile first, he meant MSFT apps for other platforms like office, arrow launcher, etc... not mobile Operating systems and devices...DOOH!

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Are you satisfied with Microsoft's "retrenchment" mobile strategy?

It was the dumbest thing they've done. There's a very limited number of phones now, there's no cdma phones and developer interest in dwindling....i could see if they retrenched with a active plan to reemerge after 6 months but nothing of the such has come of it. No effort on Microsofts end at all

Sent from Idol 4s

Akira X

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey people,

I recently made the switch back to Android after coming from a Icon and 950XL.
For an O/S(Android) with all the apps, its still not that great of an experience. Apps still crash, phones still get into
a weird state from time to time that requires a reboot.

The worst part of "retrenchment" is there are no new phone refresh devices to keep windows mobile alive, I like other people lose interest, get bored and look for something new. Even with my daily driver, Axon 7, I still grab my 950XLand get wowed at how nice the home screen looks and acts.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Satisfied? Of course not. It's painful to watch as top-tier apps continue to sunset their WP offerings even when we know some apps haven't updated for a long time and the features were sub-par anyway. It's also sad and short-sighted that devs can't see the potential of updating their apps to UWP so that they can reach 100's of millions of PC-Tablet/XBOX/Hololens users in addition to mobile and shows how Microsoft's poor execution of UWP continues unabated.

It's gut wrenching to see how Microsoft has embraced iOS / Android to the point that they regularly release new things on their platforms with the Windows ecosystem a sad footnote about future support, maybe. It's embarrasing to see how desparate they are to remain relevant in the mobile space, not by innovating or fighting back but being prepared to sell, yes sell a Microsoft signiture Android device directly from their own stores. What the hell is going on?!

It seems that anything goes now. There's no one group within Microsoft prepared to put its own platform ahead of others anymore. Under Nadella's leadership, the ship, from a mobile perspective, is ruderless, out of control and virtually abandoned. This would never have been allowed to happen under Balmer, what ever his mistakes were.

Last edited:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I think it's a two-sided coin. You can't take one side without acknowledging the other. We know that Windows on phones has been failing for a long time. Not only that, but PC sales have been falling dramatically for years. Microsoft needed to make the necessary changes in order to protect the user base they've built up over decades of work. Windows 10 was the answer to Microsoft's problems, their attempt to simultaneously salvage the failing PC market whilst also building a foundation for the future of Windows on mobile devices. Windows Mobile has never been a money maker for Microsoft, so why on earth would they dedicate precious resources to building it up when their profits were slowly dwindling? Now PC sales are back on the rise according to noted and respected analysts, and Windows 10 has successfully become an operating system that can reliably run on any number of form factors. The next step for Microsoft is to take advantage of their newfound position and to bring their mobile efforts to the forefront. The retrenchment was absolutely necessary for Windows 10 to happen, and Nadella and everyone else on Microsoft's board recognized and acted upon this.

Windows 10 Mobile has not faded into nonexistence, it has simply hidden behind its larger, more capable brother, Windows 10 on PC. The Universal Windows Platform, the Universal Update Platform, the CShell, Continuum, these are not flags of surrender, these are the pillars that will support a new era of Windows that's more capable, more mobilized, and with a broader consumer focus. Windows 10 Mobile runs amazingly on my phones, when only six months prior it was plagued with problems and bugs. The improvements have come slowly, but they have come. Microsoft is looking to the future that is device agnostic, where no matter what you're using Microsoft's services are available at your fingertips, and they do the job just as well if not better than any competitor. Windows 10 Mobile is a part of that future, or it would've died a long time ago. We all know Microsoft is one to kill things off rather suddenly, not dragging them to their slow, painful death.

One thing can definitely be said of Microsoft, and it's something that has always been true. Microsoft is terrible at communication. We rarely have any clue what Microsoft's plans are, or their reasoning behind their decisions. Not only this, Microsoft is awful at communicating what they have done to their consumers. Microsoft's silence regarding Windows 10 Mobile doesn't necessarily mean that Windows 10 Mobile has died and we've just yet to smell it's body, only that Microsoft is doing what they always do. And that's not tell us a single fluffing thing.

I just don't think either side can jump to conclusions so hastily. The business world is a slow moving one. It takes months for a business the size of Microsoft to execute a plan, especially when working with such a large, complex operating system. All of our arguments have merits, but not a single one of us can claim to know what Microsoft is truly planning with Windows 10 Mobile. I understand perfectly well why Microsoft took this retrenchment strategy, but I dislike this long silence. I really believe communication is the issue here.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Their silence speaks a thousand words, I have at this time ditched windows mobile my elite x3 and alcatel 4s are going up for sale. I have an iPhone 7 plus now and just preordered the Galaxy S8. Microsoft can go be silent and undecided with someone else now.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Their silence speaks a thousand words, I have at this time ditched windows mobile my elite x3 and alcatel 4s are going up for sale. I have an iPhone 7 plus now and just preordered the Galaxy S8. Microsoft can go be silent and undecided with someone else now.

To each their own, my friend. I won't berate anyone for making their own decisions about what operating system or mobile device they want to use.

How much are you looking to get for you phones?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I really like my Lumia 950 XL. And I really like Windows 10 Mobile. But to your point about the current state of the retretchment strategy - I'm not "satisfied..." But I continue to hold out hope that I will be... Eventually.

post-23251-Amanda-Bynes-eventually-gif-Im-AuxO.gif

LumPhile

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
I have to say I'm a bit skeptical about some of the WM10 naysayers: They claim to have abandoned ship long ago, and yet they're here on an almost daily basis desperately trying to influence others to follow suit. Their unwavering, and hysterical mantra is that WM10 is dead; a clearly false and nonsensical claim. The question is, why the unrelenting attempts to "talk down" the OS? Some of the more extreme and vitriolic posts do lead me to wonder about the motivation of the posters

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
I think they are not taking the right decisions on the marketing department, a lot of things depends only on how much the consumers knows about something and how cool it is!.

Some stuff we see as novelty on the market are simply common things in a fancy way, Microsoft I think is not doing enough marketing or even a good marketing at all.

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
there is no strategy they got defeated in smartphone war and they gave up they probably wont try again for another two/three years. game over.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

...is that Logan?

I don't think anyone would be "satisfied" with this strategy. It has been painful watching the few people around with WP devices moving on to iOS or Android because I can't, in good faith, recommend any decent Windows 10 phones to them. I'm still using one, but this is likely going to be my last one as well seeing how India is no longer an important market for Windows 10 Mobile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss