audio issue/s

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
A few weeks ago, I noticed my volume down button was no longer working. I could swipe in from the right and adjust the volume, but not turn it down with the physical button. I did the Refresh Your PC, and boy was that a mistake. I had to go back and reinstall all of the updates. Still didn't resolve my issue.

So the other day I'm doing some work and I needed a screenshot. Yep, you guessed it. Can't take a screenshot without the ability of the volume down button. So I went to the online Microsoft Service Center and submitted a warranty claim to have my Surface replaced.

Now, I have no audio at all. Key presses still sound, sliding the volume slider up and down produces the "ding", but no audio when playing videos. It's like Microsoft hacked into my computer and disabled all of the audio.

Kinda ticks me off. Here I am on vacation and the audio is jacked up.

Anybody else seeing this issue?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Never heard of anything like this before, really odd. I guess you'll just have to wait for Microsoft to replace your device for ya, because I don't know what else to say. Sorry, but this is the first I've heard of such issues.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
OK, so videos I've downloaded play audio. It seems to be only video playback from the web is not working. Physical volume down button still doesn't work.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure you haven't muted Internet Explorer or something of that nature? I know that Windows 7 lets you individually change the audio for different programs, so I see no reason why Windows 8 would be any different.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
You can check by opening up IE in the desktop, then right-clicking the volume control thingy. Click, "Open Volume Mixer," and it'll show your system's master sound (what you adjust when using the volume buttons), in addition to every open program's individual sound. There, you can check and see if IE is muted or not.

An unlikely scenario that you muted it by accident, but worth a shot.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Tried that and didn't work.

Oh, hmph.

I'm out of ideas, and I don't own a Surface myself (yet), so I'm not sure what else to say. How's that replacement coming along? Are you with-in close enough proximity to a Microsoft Store to get some help from them, or are you one of the many unfortunate souls who doesn't have convenient access to a Microsoft Store.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh, hmph.

I'm out of ideas, and I don't own a Surface myself (yet), so I'm not sure what else to say. How's that replacement coming along? Are you with-in close enough proximity to a Microsoft Store to get some help from them, or are you one of the many unfortunate souls who doesn't have convenient access to a Microsoft Store.

Holy crap! I'm in Myrtle Beach for the week and my neighbor called us yesterday saying FedEx had left a delivery notice trying to deliver a package. I thought it was something from ebay. I just tracked the package and it is the replacement Surface. That was way faster than I expected. I'm hoping I get a Surface 2 as a replacement.

Yes, I am too far from a MS Store to check with them.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the latest updates fixed the lack of audio on IE. So far videos played on Youtube sound perfect.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Looks like the latest updates fixed the lack of audio on IE. So far videos played on Youtube sound perfect.

Glad to hear everything worked out. The Surface is a fine product, having it crippled due to lack of audio is just not acceptable.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear everything worked out. The Surface is a fine product, having it crippled due to lack of audio is just not acceptable.

Thanks. Almost everything. The volume down button still doesn't work. I think I figured out why. Couple weeks ago, my wife and I was sitting on the front steps waiting for our son to get on the bus. I went to open the tablet and type cover and use in my lap and the Surface sailed off my lap, disconnected from the type cover and face-planted on the sidewalk. We both expected to see a shattered screen. But amazingly, not even a crack. I was amazed at the stability of the screen. Guess the volume button is not as strong. Had I remembered that prior to requesting a replacement, I may not have requested it, since it is probably my fault the button doesn't work. My replacement Surface is waiting for me at home. Guess I'm stuck with it.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Almost everything. The volume down button still doesn't work. I think I figured out why. Couple weeks ago, my wife and I was sitting on the front steps waiting for our son to get on the bus. I went to open the tablet and type cover and use in my lap and the Surface sailed off my lap, disconnected from the type cover and face-planted on the sidewalk. We both expected to see a shattered screen. But amazingly, not even a crack. I was amazed at the stability of the screen. Guess the volume button is not as strong. Had I remembered that prior to requesting a replacement, I may not have requested it, since it is probably my fault the button doesn't work. My replacement Surface is waiting for me at home. Guess I'm stuck with it.

I keep hearing more and more about how resilient the Surface is, in terms of build quality. That's awesome, seeing as I have a bad tendency to break electronics, so it seems (three broken Lumias :[). It definitely gives some piece of mind with my forthcoming Surface tablet purchase.

And hey, the replacement is there, might as well use a nice, shiny new Surface. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soste