Automatic updates are killing me

Mathieu Ackermann

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I love Windows 10 for many reasons, but I hate it for at least one: automatic updates.
How could they possibly implement such a dumb feature?
It happened to me today: I boot my computer, start browsing with Edge, then suddenly everything freezes. The computer is almost fully unresponsive, Edge hangs and the drive access LED on the front panel of the computer is constantly ON. Then after more than 5 minutes the computer becomes finally responsive, just in time to "inform" me that the system will, by its own will, restart in about 10 minutes. There is only an "OK" button to the message box, because anyway I cannot cancel or even delay the reboot. At the said time, neglecting anything I'm currently doing and forcing all programs to close abruptly, the computer does indeed reboot to install updates. After 10 additional minutes, I can finally use my computer again. In total, it took me about 25min to be able to really use my computer. This is simply UNACCEPTABLE. No patch for whatever security flaw can ever, ever justify this behavior.

I've had PCs for years, never got into any trouble with any virus or anything. I know how a computer works. I apply updates when I'm shutting down the computer after my work is finished. I'm glad if the computer informs me when updates are available, but that's it! My actions should always have the utmost priority over anything the computer is doing in the background.
The same goes for mobile: automatic updates of apps could be acceptable when the phone is idle. But they should immediately pause or go to ultra low processor usage whenever you, as the user, is commanding an action on the device. If I am checking a map, sending a text or updating my calendar, this is the number one priority.
I cannot understand that anyone could design a system giving more importance to a Candy Crush update, than responding to user input. However this is exactly what Windows 10 is doing on all platforms: automatic background tasks are given top priority for disk and processor usage.

Am I the only one?

BR

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've personally never seen a 15 minute warning about updates under Windows 10. The last time I got the "warning" was Windows 7. Windows 8.1 and 10 can update whenever they want (typically in the middle of the night), but then they schedule a restart during the standard maintenance window (usually 3 AM) unless you tell it to restart now in Windows Update - or execute a restart command after the installs are done.

Shiells

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
How could they do it? They did it because trying to establish their products, like Bing, even by underhanded means, has not been working well enough. For example, previously, because too few people wanted it, they would try to trick people into downloading Bing like a virus. This way, even if you manage to find a way to rid their products, such as Bing, from your PC, they will be automatically reinstalled with a later update. Also, with forced updates, they can enter into contracts with other parties, maybe Walmart or Starbucks, to force unwanted outside products onto your PC permanently, for profit. I mean, Microsoft gives a different excuse, but it's entirely transparent.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
How could they do it? They did it because trying to establish their products, like Bing, even by underhanded means, has not been working well enough. For example, previously, because too few people wanted it, they would try to trick people into downloading Bing like a virus. This way, even if you manage to find a way to rid their products, such as Bing, from your PC, they will be automatically reinstalled with a later update. Also, with forced updates, they can enter into contracts with other parties, maybe Walmart or Starbucks, to force unwanted outside products onto your PC permanently, for profit. I mean, Microsoft gives a different excuse, but it's entirely transparent.

This is a terrible slippery slope logical fallacy.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

So kinda like all those Chrome and Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer sponsored downloads.....

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Automatic updates are there to ensure that everyone is on a level playing field in terms of security, even business customers can no longer defer updates indefinitely. Furthermore by deferring up updates on the pro version, you no longer get further any updates until you install the previous ones. This ensures that security holes are patched and Peoples' PC's, tablets & laptops are not used as nodes to spread malware.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
just go to policy edit and disable it, all it does on my pc is alert me when there are updates, if there's a Lenovo keyboard driver for my HP laptop I simply open a utility they made for "hiding" misbehaving updates, hide it, and wait for it to stop showing up in the list of updates, and finally proceed with downloading it if I only see actual useful ones, also disable that defender thing, if your pc freezes from time to time you can check for yourself that app consuming all your hard drive, the photos app needs some fixing too, it likes to index your picture folders all day no matter what, you can remove the folders it watches and it will stop, only thing left bothering me is Cortana having like 40min cpu time in App History

sure, Microsoft has all my hate for implementing such an intrusive and out of control updating system, since I now have to take extra care for it, rather than looking at a list and updating what I want(8.1 and older) but yea, help gramma jane have the latest software ^^

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Well it seems you are complaining because you probably got a not so good computer? I don't have the greatest computer and I haven't had any problem with updates, in fact, sometimes I Have to force updates so they would start downloading, because I can leave them 24 hours alone, and it still says the last time it checked for updates was a day ago.

So yeah. there are ways to stop it, and they will not install the updates unless you tell Windows to do it, and it usually it's a 3 am.
There is even an option "notify me to set a restart" or something like that. but if you have it set to "automatic" it's obvious it will try to install everything since you are telling windows to do it.
But like I said, no updates should ever slow down a computer unless you got a crappy slow harddrive. I don't have a SSD and I haven't have any problems updating. and I work, study and do a lot of things in my computer.

The only time an update "affected me" was when I was using the Sports app and it decided to close, and then I found out it was because it updated the app, for a moment I thought it could be just that it decided to close but it was the automatic store update, and that was not big issue, I opened when to what I was reading and didn't care, updates are good anyway.

But well options?... if you are not on pro, then upgrade to pro and do more to stop it on group policy and all those steps. if you are on 10 pro well, maybe next time you should find the answer instead of complaining.
and if you have so much problems for a small update maybe you should upgrade your system? it doesn't matter if you are on a laptop or desktop, it's easy to change the hdd so no excuse.
again, it's a small update, all windows have done it's giving small updates that don't eat anything but internet speed. but HDD? I am sure if it was possible to install Windows 10 on a floppy disk, it wouldn't have any problem about the updates either. because I don't know how can updates make your PC so slow than you can't even browse the web with Edge.

Mathieu Ackermann

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

The 3am reboot is OK for computers that are always ON (like my SP3), but I don't leave the desktop computer ON all the time, since it's located in my bedroom.
Anyway, the worst is for me to "steal" computer resources to do these updates, although the computer is in use. Even the SSD on the SP3 Pro is sometimes overwhelmed by these background tasks. It's just not clever to have the updates running full steam when the computer is being used for something else. I believe they should limit the maximum amount of resources these background tasks are allowed to use.
The behavior on Windows 7 was perfect for me: ask whether to download updates, ask for restart when appropriate. You can force that all updates are mandatory, but the timing should be for the users to choose.

It's even more critical on phone.

BR

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I understand your frustration. However, Microsoft coded 10 for the vast majority. There will always be people on the fringe that are not serviced well by the new policies. If you let the users decide if they want to download updates, they may turn it off and therefore become a zombie. Or code can turn it off (like a virus), leaving the person more vulnerable. I know, it doesn't help you, but it helps the majority of people (moms, dads, and grandparents) who are not tech savvy.

As for resources - again, they had to code for the majority. If an update is critical, they don't want to wait until the system is idle to apply it - what if the system is never idle? What if I'm streaming video or playing games for 12 hours? Or I'm processing a 3D rendering that's going to take 18 hours? And their telemetry told them that most people leave the computers on 24/7 (it just sleeps at night), so 3AM is a good time to perform system maintenance. Again, it's not the best for everyone, but the best for most people.

You just happen to be in the sweet spot of people who are negatively impacted by the new policies.

ronkubik

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I agree with you 100%, Tony. Many people comment on this issue and say "what's the big deal, it's needed to protect you!"... however today I am totally fed up with the automatic updates. I was in the middle of working and suddenly my computer screen went blank, and the update started .. so I LOST ALL MY WORK. And I do have my settings to (theoretically) allow me to schedule the update, however this time I never received any warning and it seems that the default behavior is to schedule an update reboot. I see now that updates were installed last night a little after midnight, and reboot must have been scheduled for around 9:00 am this morning....

This is the most unacceptable behavior I can imagine for an operating system, maybe I might accept it and make excuses for Microsoft if it was a bug .. but this is BY DESIGN.

And this isn't the first time it has happened either, but this time I'm hopping mad because I lost important work !

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
it probably would yes, thats if you act fast and are at your screen, best bet is to use the method is post #10, that way it wont reboot for updates whilst the system is in use, it will simply install updates when you shut it down or reboot it manually, been using it for years, and after all its a native windows option.

I don't know if it works in 10 but shutdown -a will abort a shutdown/reboot in other versions.

Mathieu Ackermann

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
If installing updates and rebooting automatically on short notice is the best solution they have found to "protect users from themselves", at least they should have implemented an "advanced user" mode which behaves much like Windows 7 and gives choice. I've always installed all updates "manually" in the past, and I did it at the appropriate time for me, i.e. just before shutting down the computer for instance. I don't need some kind of dumb AI to figure out when is the best time for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h