Bad Windows Phone 8 experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikosNx

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello!! I want to share my experience with the OS and hear your opinions/experience.
I gave windows phone two big chances and in both cases I had been suggesting it to everyone supposing it's weak points will be quickly improved. I bought a windows phone 7 device in 2011 and an Ativ S this summer. Both proved unsatisfactory and a loss of money.

Why buy a windows phone 8 device if 1) Facebook is that slow with many many features missing (..facebook in internet explorer has problems with back button function and you cannot upload photos to your profile!!), 2) Skype lacks attachment support and is slower than Android version even though it's an MS product!! 3) Viber is so slow and buggy without supporting for example drawing-on-the-screen messages?
Also, Microsoft seems to need lots of time to release an update with two or three new simple features. Of course they want to have a stable OS but I don't think it's just that. Even Viber and other demanding mainstream apps is being updated once in a blue moon with very few small additions/fixes in every version.
WP 7 & 8 appeared in the market with many must-have features and fuctions missing and there is still a lot to add while Android and ios offer most of what a user needs.

It's unacceptable for me to buy a smartphone that cannot support basic things and functions. In my opinion, something goes terribly wrong with the platform. Ok, I know I concentrated a lot on three specific apps but these apps are one of the most used apps in smartphones world.
Today I sold my Ativ S for 150 euros (200 dollars) in order to save some money to buy something that will cover my needs.

JonnieLasVegas

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
All valid, good points. And exactly why I only use my 920 as a backup/media device (which it lacks in as well, no Xbox video support, wtf? I know, I know, it's coming...) and use an iPhone as my main device. Microsoft is slow and stuck with their '80's mentality.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
You are correct that the Facebook app sucks. Photo upload is available direct from the photo hub in the os though.

Its sad that you have had a bad experience with the platform, and there are some things missing. But there are no basic features missing. None. There may be features missing from apps. But Ms cant make every app for every company out there. At some point the responsibility for app quality should rest with the devs.

The fact those particular features are the very ones you require is unfortunate. I hope you have a better experience with another os.

NikosNx

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Glad to see you "see" those points JonnieLasVegas. Also, what's important too is that something goes wrong with sd support. I have put a 16GB microsd in the phone and have added some music. It seems that the os has trouble handling the contents of the card as browsing music is slow and it's at his worst when already playing a song from there and simultaneously trying to browse. Try to put and explore music in internal memory instead..It will be ok..

NikosNx

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I believe that social networking is a basic feature from the user's side. Photo upload from the photo hub does not offer the option to upload to a specific album, facebook timeline or create a new album on Facebook profile (If I am wrong correct me but I don't think I missed such functionality all this time I 've been using WP8). Skype and Viber are also very widely used. Why Skype to be that slow while lower specs android phones offer a much snappy experience and not supporting attachments? Of course MS canoot make every app out there but the user gets the result of the whole thing. you may be right about devs but it seems strange to me that none of these apps work as it should. Maybe the dev tools MS offers? Maybe the limitations of MS for apps? Maybe general capabilities of the platform? Maybe there are few devs not well paid? I don't know but the result is far from good.
I would like to hear how you use your WP (if you have one) and how satisfied you are.

You are correct that the Facebook app sucks. Photo upload is available direct from the photo hub in the os though.

Its sad that you have had a bad experience with the platform, and there are some things missing. But there are no basic features missing. None. There may be features missing from apps. But Ms cant make every app for every company out there. At some point the responsibility for app quality should rest with the devs.

The fact those particular features are the very ones you require is unfortunate. I hope you have a better experience with another os.

Last edited:

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I use both Viber and Skype flawlessly. Skype is slow but it works for what it is intended to do. I speak with family half way around the world almost daily.
I understand WP is not for everyone since people have different needs but you should do more homework on the device your buying before making the leap and this would lead to less wasted money.
I don't know much about the Samsung phones since I've never owned one but I think the lag you experience must be a faulty device. I'm sure it was not designed to work that way. You also need to remember that WP 8 is still the new kid on the block when comparing OS's. Android and iOS has had time to perfect their OS (kinda) and developers have had time to add those features and test them thoroughly. WP8 is catching up but it will take another year or so in my opinion.

NikosNx

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for replying to my thread (you and all others)!
For Skype, you cannot add attachments and when a new message arrives it does not autoscroll down to the message you just received. It's not about a faulty device as my brother has the same device and I see the same behaviours. Also I 've seen several other WP's in shops. You 're right about doing research before buying but sharing and communicating are major functions of a smartphone these days. Why? read the rest of my comment xD
Smartphone features are like a pyramid if you take the average of all smartphone users today. The most basic things concerning a smartphone are calls and sms (as it's a phone). What comes higher is easier and more completed communication...this is about social networking, messaging apps, email etc. in this layer you can add handling & reading documents, taking notes and media (sound & video). The highest layer consists of any other specific apps that people want for other usage ( it can be about sports, cooking and everything else). Web browsing is spread to all these layers so I didn't refer to it.

Check which elements of the second layer are ok in windows phone. As you see, the pyramid almost breaks in this layer. The third layer is not that important for most users (not all, as there are users that aim yo use specific features on a smartphone) if things break at the second layer.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
But there are no basic features missing. None.

1. A half-decent attachments experience in the built in mail app (specifically, lack of ability to attach more than one document file, lack of ability to attach any file whatsoever to a reply email, lack of ability to attach docs properly rather than as a Skydrive link)

2. Multiple audio volumes.

3. Notification center. And no, Live Tiles are not a replacement; for one thing they're broken, half of mine never update, and for another I have apps not on my home screen that generate notifications.

4. Ability to monitor my data usage without having to have an app, which carrier can choose to block. The hilarious (and sad) part of this is that something so basic was touted as a major part of an upgrade to the platform.

I consider these basic features.

NikosNx

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely agree with your points. I cannot even remember all things together at once to mention them in one comment. About notifications, I want to add that tiles are not a replacement for one more reason. Notification center on android & ios need a single look for everything in one point. In WP, in order to manage to be near this, you should move all tiles that provide notifications to the top of the screen for example, and they must be in small size too! So, they become like androids simple icons that have a number on them. But, this makes the whole home screen to lose functionality as you cannot put apps in homescreen in the way you are comfortable with; you should keep a space for live tiles!
Also there are lots of small goodies in android that make your life easier. For example shortcuts on the lock screen. This and other similar things are not basic features but they worsen the experience even more.

1. A half-decent attachments experience in the built in mail app (specifically, lack of ability to attach more than one document file, lack of ability to attach any file whatsoever to a reply email, lack of ability to attach docs properly rather than as a Skydrive link)

3. Notification center. And no, Live Tiles are not a replacement; for one thing they're broken, half of mine never update, and for another I have apps not on my home screen that generate notifications.

4. Ability to monitor my data usage without having to have an app, which carrier can choose to block. The hilarious (and sad) part of this is that something so basic was touted as a major part of an upgrade to the platform.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Not speaking for anyone but myself but the shortcomings mentioned really don't effect me at all. The new Facebook app finally does everything I need it to. Now using my wife's iPhone is a true chore... No live tiles, hate the keyboard, miss my back button! Windows Phone may not be for everyone but it is by far the best for me!

NikosNx

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
It seems strange to me that you find facebook app to be ok even to what it does. Don't you find it slow? What's only sure is that you are not the average user.

Not speaking for anyone but myself but the shortcomings mentioned really don't effect me at all. The new Facebook app finally does everything I need it to. Now using my wife's iPhone is a true chore... No live tiles, hate the keyboard, miss my back button! Windows Phone may not be for everyone but it is by far the best for me!

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't find Facebook slow either, I've had a lot of WP's all the way from 7.0 til now. The new fb app is quite solid. I also like how the UI is very similar to the Windows 8.1 app on my surface pro

NikosNx

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried Facebook on ios or android? It's appearance is really nice but..
I don't find Facebook slow either, I've had a lot of WP's all the way from 7.0 til now. The new fb app is quite solid. I also like how the UI is very similar to the Windows 8.1 app on my surface pro

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I was about to post the same things, and the half-baked attachment issue is why I keep my Xperia V.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

And let's not even drag Facebook here. I have an Xperia that is used daily, the version on Windows Phone is lacking unarguably.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Now using my wife's iPhone is a true chore...<snip> hate the keyboard,

I never understood how someone can say the WP keyboard is better than iPhone's, or the iPhone's keyboard is better than WP's (iMore users). To me they're quite similar. I don't see any difference in accuracy or auto correction. I say they're both garbage. Since I started using Swiftkey I hate any keyboard that isn't sliding. Now even the stock Android keyboard is sliding.

NikosNx

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
WP keyboard is very good according to my experience.
I never understood how someone can say the WP keyboard is better than iPhone's, or the iPhone's keyboard is better than WP's (iMore users). To me they're quite similar. I don't see any difference in accuracy or auto correction. I say they're both garbage. Since I started using Swiftkey I hate any keyboard that isn't sliding. Now even the stock Android keyboard is sliding.

Lumia 8x

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Because time to time, the autocorrect on WP is better than any competitions thanks to Office team.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
The problems with the phone that were experienced don't reflect all Windows 8 Phones. A phone that has trouble playing music from an SD card could be slow doing other things. I haven't experienced lagging during use of my Lumia 521.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
WP keyboard is very good according to my experience.

Because time to time, the autocorrect on WP is better than any competitions thanks to Office team.

I was actually a bit harsh saying that the keyboards on WP & iPhone are garbage. They're actually quite good, but a notch below Android's offerings, stock or 3rd party. One thing I don't like about the iOS keyboard is that the letters are always showing upper case. What's up with that? But as far as accuracy and autocorrect I'd say the keyboards on WP & iOS are pretty even.

Again, my surprise comes when users on this forum say that WP's keyboard is better than iPhone's, and on iMore they say that iPhone's is better. They rate the same in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers