Band 2 is faulty, Microsoft should recall it.

Memristor

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So I'm now on my 5th Band 2 and there are many many users that have the same issues over and over again. The Band randomly turns itself off, it can happen every couple of hours or once or twice a day. The only way to turn it back on is by plugin it into a charger. You're than greeted with a message that says it lost power and you have to reenter the time and date. Of course, the battery is still at the same charge level as before it shut itself off. There are hundreds of reports online with the same issues. I think its time for the blogs and news sites to look into this issue and make it more public so Microsoft does something about it. I'm tired of changing out my Band 2 every couple of weeks at the Store.

(Here is one support page with this issue: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/.../1e4500d4-ce05-46d3-a75a-153535a0b1d7?page=33)

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
MSFT has been aware of this problem for quite awhile now and is said to be working on it. I'm beginning to think the fix for this band 2 problem will be the band 3. Hope I'm wrong. We'll see.

Memristor

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Definitely looks like a hardware problem, a software issue would have been fixed by now. So hopefully they will release a revised Band 2 that doesn't suffer from this issue sooner that later.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I've only had minor issues. Floors climbed stopped counting for a week, but a factory reset resolved that issue. Occasionally, the keyboard cannot connect to my phone to reply to texts. I had that same problem with the original Band, but a simple power cycle always fixes the problem.

In the first two months of owning the original Band, I had to get 2 warranty replacements in 2 months for different issues. I got one more replacement after six months because the battery covers had started peeling. I did this right before selling that Band.

With the Band 2, I've had the same unit for 3 months with no signs of physical wear yet. It seems much more durable than the original model.

driedl

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm on my second Band 2. The first had this exact problem. So long as MS continues to replace them hassle-free, I have a hard time complaining too much, but MS really needs to improve the durability of this device. I can buy a $10 watch at wallyworld that will hold up for a year just fine.
I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR on pre-order. As much as I enjoyed the Band 1 and 2 when they were first released, I think MS has been surpassed in features and quality.

Teeceman

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm on my second Band 2. The first had this exact problem. So long as MS continues to replace them hassle-free, I have a hard time complaining too much, but MS really needs to improve the durability of this device. I can buy a $10 watch at wallyworld that will hold up for a year just fine.
I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR on pre-order. As much as I enjoyed the Band 1 and 2 when they were first released, I think MS has been surpassed in features and quality.

I agree the process seems to be less painless if you are near a bricks and mortar store, if you are like me in the UK with no stores, it took almost two weeks for my defective band to be shipped, inspected and a replacement sent which is awful if you hate gaps in your training data.

The Garmin Vivoactive HR is definitely on my shopping list too, unless there is some eye popping improvements in the band including more use of the extra sensors...sweat, perspiration etc...

Last edited:

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Definitely looks like a hardware problem, a software issue would have been fixed by now. So hopefully they will release a revised Band 2 that doesn't suffer from this issue sooner that later.

Not so sure about that. My band had been working perfectly until the update this past Tuesday. I woke up Wed. and it would not respond at all to button presses (even the two button reset) and plugged it in, still nothing. But plug it into the computer, and the computer can read and sync, and left it for a while (the entire time showing 0% battery). After letting it charge and getting it reset a few times, it seemed to be working fine.

This morning, it's alarm went off fine and I thought it was working again, but by the time I got to the gym an hour later same thing, no response. Plug it back into the computer, and it's reading a 40% charge.

But like I said, I've had this band since release day on 10/31, and it's been flawless until yesterday.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Interesting posts, I've had mine since release, it's been flawless. The recent update(s) haven't affected mine at all, it's still working perfectly. Sorry to hear people are having problems.

thalador

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I am very interested in this thread as the price drop has made me consider getting one, but if there are big hardware issues, maybe this isn't the time?

Memristor

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I wish Microsoft came forward to explain what is causing that issue. If it was just a bad production run or a bad flash chip you could wait it out until new Band's show up with the revised hardware. I don't think the software is at fault otherwise all Band 2 owners would be affected.

Cliff_W_R

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I’m on my third Band 2 and preparing for this issue to appear any moment now. It doesn’t matter how easily MS handles the return, when the warrantee runs out and this issue returns (and it might) you are left with a $249 paper weight, or paying out of pocket to get it fixed. How many times do you have to return it before they refund you?

VFC

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
All this reminds me of the Microsoft 360 game console. The main issue back then was the Ring-Of-Death (All 3 red lights on in the power button). I had it fail four times and MS finally got it fixed when they redesigned the motherboard. So the 5th 360 console has been working ever since.

BTW - MS extended the warranty another 12 months because so many people had the problem and it was definitely a design issue.

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
My gf and friend's gf had the same issue after a month of owning their Band 2 from release date. Both got an exchange at our local MSFT store. After owning mine since release date, mine just encountered the problem last night. Going to try to get it replaced also, just such a hassle.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
My Band 2 worked flawlessly, except three times when it shut down when battery was still 40%, so I returned it when I had the chance. (I live in Central America so returning stuff means having a friend take it back, which isn't that often.) I decided not to replace it both because of rumored problems (band tearing, shut offs) and because it's hard to return. (But I bet people report problems more often than successes on websites like this, so who knows how wide spread the problems really are.) I liked the device, so I hope they fix it. But I'll probably wait for Band 3, and buy it after it's been out for three or four months to heat reviews.

VFC

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
This issue is real. The band for a fitness device must be very flexible to allow for wrist flexing (especially during push-ups and certain weight lifting exercises).

The Fitbit Surge has a very flexible band (i.e., rubbery), but even that design was flawed because the last 1/2" of band, that attaches to the main module body, was thick and stiff. As a result, many users had reported cracked bands. When mine cracked after 8 months of use, I didn't bother posting on the Fitbit forum, I just contacted Fitbit and they sent me a replacement in 2 days. Fitbit learned their lesson and released the Blaze with the same rubbery band but it now swivels where it connects to the main module body. Plus the band is replaceable, so if an unforeseen band problem arises, it can be replaced easily with minimal cost to Fitbit and/or the customer.

The Band 2 has three major band design flaws:
1 - The material is not flexible enough, so there is tremendous force on the band connection to the body during certain exercises.
2 - They ran breakable wires through the inside of the band. Even a small amount of band stretch will damage the wires.
3 - The band is not user replaceable. Any damage to the band or wires is fatal.

Last edited:

Cliff_W_R

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
All this reminds me of the Microsoft 360 game console. The main issue back then was the Ring-Of-Death (All 3 red lights on in the power button). I had it fail four times and MS finally got it fixed when they redesigned the motherboard. So the 5th 360 console has been working ever since.

BTW - MS extended the warranty another 12 months because so many people had the problem and it was definitely a design issue.

I had the same freaking experience with my sons Xbox 360, except it ended terribly. After the 2nd time of sending it in the technician working on it didn’t place the tampering seal in the correct location! So when the red ring came back and I sent it in for the third time they sent it back and accused me of opening up the case!

Last edited:

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
This issue is real. The band for a fitness device must be very flexible to allow for wrist flexing (especially during push-ups and certain weight lifting exercises).

I'm one who has seen no signs of the strap tearing after 3 months of usage. I'm just curious how you wear the Band. I wear mine above my wrist bones (toward my forearm) and as snug as I can get it during exercise. I have full range of motion of my wrist and the Band strap doesn't have any additional stress placed on it where it requires more flexibility.

I can do push ups, pull ups, bench press, etc., and the Band never moves on my arm. The only way I can see the flexibility you described being a necessity is if I wore the Band directly on top of my wrist bones. I don't see how that would be comfortable for everyday use, much less how it could be tolerable during a workout. Just trying it feels like it severely restricts my wrist movement.

The only time my Band strap flexes is when I'm putting it on my wrist or taking it off. There seems to be plenty of flexibility for that activity.

VFC

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I have a relatively large protruding wrist bone. My Band 2 usually sits between the top of my hand and this bone. If I move the B2 above the bone, it digs into that bone and causes pain; so I have no choice but to wear it below the bone. Now I don't have the issue with my Surge's rubbery band.

Surge on arm.jpg

Crack Crack Wong

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Actually I live outside US and currently at HK.

The band 2 is not working now as it shows 0% on the battery level when charging, I suspect there is wire broken inside the rubber.
The problem is how could I get my band exchange without sending it back to US?

It causes sudden power off before when i stretch my hand, but now it's totally unusable.

I bought it in US and using it now in Hong Kong, I am very distressed as I can't get a warranty order to get it repaired/exchanged.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nehalwadehra