Battery critically low and shutdown

Arie Vianza

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi... I'm having this problem for 3 weeks now. It started right after I installed a USB charger on my bike (dimotiv brand on er6n) and tried charging my 1520 with it several times. At first (with stock 1520 cable + bike charger) it gives "Slow charging" error message. :unhappy:

From what I read on a forum in Windows central somewhere about car charger, all I need is a Fast Charger cable (a cable that has been tweaked in some ways,-something about the power and data pin or somwthing like that).

After several try with different cables on the Store, I found one that shows no "Slow Charging" message and it charged like normally (1% for few minutes..). Then I fully charged my 1520 with bike charger and that cable.

The next day I noticed the problem! >.< Somewhere at 20-30% my phone dies when normally use. plug stock wall charger, reboot, unplug, reboot... the percentage shows lower than 20%. Every another reboot shows 2% less. I turn off the battery saver. charge it with stock wallcharger. It performed normally for about 2 days. And I never plug it again to bike charger.

But... somehow the problem appears again until now.. and it's getting worse! Now at 70% my 1520 shutdown by itself after showing battery is critically low-goodbye :( When I press power button it can start and shows 70% ..but another minute it suddenly dies again. plug the wallcharger, reboot, unplug, reboot, shows 69%, and let it standby for about 30 mins now... it still on.. meaning no drop on capacity.

I cant see the pattern now for it's inconsistency >.< Just caused by a bike charger (eventho it's a good quality/brand charger )

Help? :unhappysweat:

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Not necessarily the best site, but I bought one on e-Bay from some guy in New York, College Station I think, something like that. It said Nokia on it anyway, and it looked new, not like a refurb. It was packaged like it came from the factory and the manufacture date was relatively recent. I've had no problems with it.

scionluna

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Actually no, this is in fact absolutely typical of a failing battery, and is not caused by a software bug. (I was an electronics bench technician for years, and had this a lot.)

A common failure mode for batteries of this type is that the internal resistance of the battery rises. Under a light load the voltage dropped across the internal resistance is small, so the voltage from the battery reads as healthy. So long as you don't draw too much current it may continue to work fine for many hours, indeed it may appear completely normal.

However, as soon as you place a high load on the system the voltage collapses dramatically, enough to trigger the "critical" alert. If the battery is bad enough it will cause the phone to shut down immediately.

The battery charge indication ONLY works reliably when the battery is in good order. When it is failing you cannot rely on the charge indication. It is not an indication of the overall health of the battery.

Just replace the battery: it will cure it.

(Edit): I should add that if Denim causes the phone to draw more power it may well exacerbate the symptoms. However, the battery is definitely faulty, and it isn't an actual "bug" in Denim.

Steve, let me ask you this.
Does keeping a phone connected to a charger with a full battery damage it?
When I went to a local battery shop to replace the battery on my Lumia 1520, she told me that keeping the phone on the charger "dries the battery" and I should have not kept my phone on the charger for no more than an hour. I had hard time believing her since my Lumia 1520 before the battery failure would take more than an hour to charge.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Is there an app to tell you how many charge cycles your battery has on it? I bought a 1520 off Ebay, not sure if its a refurb or overstock, but it looks brand new. The only thing I'm concerned about is if it is a refurb, how old the battery is/how much life left on it. 1520 batteries on Amazon are only about $15 a pop I think.

9sag9

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Just turn off all.. All background apps..even system apps.. Like phone update ..weather ..etc etc......... M sure it will 100% boost ur battery ... It worked for me.. Getting 2 days backup and night stand time is 2-3%

8820man

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I too am having this issue, getting new battery installed by local technician. I'll post some results after Christmas. Just limiting extra use without being plugged in. Stay tuned...

Update!!!! 1-11 I had my local technician replace battery with an OEM 1520 battery. So far so good. I have had no shutdowns and all seems to be working correctly after 1 week. Hope this helps!!

Last edited:

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Steve, let me ask you this.
Does keeping a phone connected to a charger with a full battery damage it?
When I went to a local battery shop to replace the battery on my Lumia 1520, she told me that keeping the phone on the charger "dries the battery"

Actually, it isn't possible to say, without more information. It all depends on how smart the charging circuitry is in the phone. If it is really good, it will do no harm at all to leave the battery on charge all the time. Indeed, smart charger circuits can maintain the battery in tip-top condition pretty well indefinitely.

Unfortunately, there are also "dumb" charging circuits, which can indeed shorten the life of the battery if left on charge all the time. I don't know whether it's literally a "drying out" process, or some other chemical changes, but yes - such a circuit can shorten the life of a battery.

The problem is I have no idea how good the charging circuitry is in modern smartphones, nor do I know any way of finding out. Perhaps if a trained smartphone technician reads this he/she might have some inside information for us.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. :-(

dbrie

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I bought my new battery on eBay from a seller called "TSCBARGAINS" and it had all of the Nokia branding and a manufactured date of July 2015.

I replaced it in my phone last night and it works well. Like others, I had the issue where the charge status shows as 82% after a full charge. Total install time took about an hour for me. Need to heat the glue on the back of the battery with a heat source to loosen it up (I used a hair dryer) and then wedged the battery out with small screw drivers.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I replaced mine with an aftermarket Nokia BV-4BW (not genuine) and can only charge it to 82%. Which indicates that it is actually a 3000 mAh battery and not 3400. Otherwise it works well, was easy to change out and now my Lumia 1520 is working as new with a full day easily attainable on one charge.

wp_ss_20160228_0002.pngwp_ss_20160228_0001.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FegleyArnold