Battery management in WP8.1

RoboLoftie

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
This is what I'm seeing too. I've seen a slight decrease in power use when idle, but the moment I start using my phone it's going down fairly fast. Maybe we're more aware of it, since we can just pull down the action centre and see it drop, but I don't think it is.

My day has consisted of reinstalling FB and FB Messenger, sending a few SMS, uploading 2 small files to onedrive and reading about 3 articles in the news/food apps. 24 hours after I charged my phone, it's on 34%. It's been on WiFi the whole time. Before the update, it'd probably be on about 50% minimum, and I'd using Whatsapp a bit which I haven't touched today.

I used to get down to this amount of battery when I used to take a 40 minute bus ride a day, using the music player the whole time and using Bing News/Food with no wifi.

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I think WP8.1 is learning the battery usage. Previously 8 hours of sleep drained 2%, but after a few nights, I think it understood my pattern of battery saving. After a full charge, immediately turned on Battery Saver, after 8 hours of last night sleep, it was still 100%. Absolutely remarkable. 👍

Clad14

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
its been 1 day and 4 hours and i'm still @ 100%. now i'm kind of... wondering what is going on. either the battery is crawling so slowly to drain, or it the battery saver thing is incorrect, and its not tracking how much battery i really have left.
I also have 100% reported for a while at the beginning of the day. In both cases, this 100% reported value is wrong, no doubt about it. Instead, we should see a slow but continuous decrease of the state of charge. Again, estimation of state of charge is not an easy task and here the algorithm shows its limitations when confronted with idle/standby type of use.
But this is irrelevant to most smartphone users.

I think WP8.1 is learning the battery usage. Previously 8 hours of sleep drained 2%, but after a few nights, I think it understood my pattern of battery saving. After a full charge, immediately turned on Battery Saver, after 8 hours of last night sleep, it was still 100%. Absolutely remarkable. ��
Actually, unless the device is plugged-in the whole time, 99 or 98% would make more sense.
Anyhow, 98 or 100%, both tell you nothing is draining your battery, which is fine of course.

Last edited:

Faisal Khatib

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Battery life for my 920 has gone down to 4 hours on a full charge from 12-16 hours before the update. I've removed all live tiles, disable most back ground tasks, done multiple soft resets and disabled facbook-outlook connection. I'm on the verge of doing a hard reset but going to give it another 12 hours to see if there are any improvements.

ksmx

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I have upgraded my wife's L820 to WP8.1. Now I can confirm that in the battery saver mode wi-fi/data is not entirely shut down/disabled. Of course this accelerates a battery drain in unprecedented way. This was not the case in WP8 and I think this is just plain stupid that MS is forcing me/us to disable/enable wi-fi/data manually. All I want is that battery saver application shuts down data connectivity few seconds/minutes after my screen goes dark.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I have to ask what model phone you have when you have a battery draining issue. I just solved mine and I was having a massive battery drain and heating issue. It was all because of xbox music app and the phone having trouble with the memory card. I swapped memory cards and my phone has not had an issue since. Hope this helps cuz this issue was driving me nuts trying to fix it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124