BB side chatter from Idol 4 S review thread

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I returned mine. Right now I am just not in any financial position to be paying off a device over time.

In the meantime I will enjoy my paid off 950 and just wait it out to see what happens in the new year regarding more makers releasing new devices .
I may be doing the same. I'm grandfathered into the old Jump On Demand so I might try out something else. I have no interest in iPhones or Galaxies. I have a G5 laying around doing nothing since my Passport has every app I need so I might try out the Gear S2 to compare with my Band 2.

When a "dead" OS like BlackBerry 10 offers more apps than Windows, it requires some thought. Whether they're ported Android apps or not isn't relevant, the fact they work and are up to date is.

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
[Real Users] My Alcatel Idol 4S Detailed Review

When a "dead" OS like BlackBerry 10 offers more apps than Windows, it requires some thought. Whether they're ported Android apps or not isn't relevant, the fact they work and are up to date is.

Its quite relevant considering the fact it is an unfair comparison. Bb10 has ported android apps..windows doesn't. Natively speaking windows has it beat and given BlackBerry android stance i don't see how anyone can voluntarily support bb10 while condemning and criticizing windows phone.

Im just thankful for now we don't have the android porting on Windows phone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Real Users] My Alcatel Idol 4S Detailed Review

Its quite relevant considering the fact it is an unfair comparison. Bb10 has ported android apps..windows doesn't. Natively speaking windows has it beat and given BlackBerry android stance i don't see how anyone can voluntarily support bb10 while condemning and criticizing windows phone.

Im just thankful for now we don't have the android porting on Windows phone.
So you don't mind that the "native" Facebook and Messenger apps on Windows Mobile are ported iOS apps.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I may be doing the same. I'm grandfathered into the old Jump On Demand so I might try out something else. I have no interest in iPhones or Galaxies. I have a G5 laying around doing nothing since my Passport has every app I need so I might try out the Gear S2 to compare with my Band 2.

BB10 is no longer being developed. Sure, there may be one more security update but that's it. The R&D department turned off the lights when they left.
On the other hand, I get regular updates for my 950. Heck I even get to give them my two cents since I'm in the insider program. The app situation isn't great, but I get by just fine.
Bottom line is you have to decide what your needs are and decide from there.

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

BB10 is no longer being developed. Sure, there may be one more security update but that's it. The R&D department turned off the lights when they left.
On the other hand, I get regular updates for my 950. Heck I even get to give them my two cents since I'm in the insider program. The app situation isn't great, but I get by just fine.
Bottom line is you have to decide what your needs are and decide from there.

Sent from mTalk
Really? I just got a BBM update an hour ago. BB10 version 10.3.3 will be dropping "soon" and an entirely new Enterprise Software program is just getting off the ground as I write this.

Just like Nadella is re re re focusing Windows Mobile for the corporate world, so is Chen with Blackberry. And I'm not talking about Android 'Berrys either.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Really? I just got a BBM update an hour ago. BB10 version 10.3.3 will be dropping "soon" and an entirely new Enterprise Software program is just getting off the ground as I write this.

Just like Nadella is re re re focusing Windows Mobile for the corporate world, so is Chen with Blackberry. And I'm not talking about Android 'Berrys either.

I'm glad you put soon in quotes, because it's been coming soon for quite a while! Blackberry is developing into a software company because BB10 failed. They should do quite well from that perspective.
In the mean time we will enjoy our regular updates and development in Windows, awaiting the Surface phone which will hopefully arrive before BB 10.3.3 does. 😉

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm glad you put soon in quotes, because it's been coming soon for quite a while! Blackberry is developing into a software company because BB10 failed. They should do quite well from that perspective.
In the mean time we will enjoy our regular updates and development in Windows, awaiting the Surface phone which will hopefully arrive before BB 10.3.3 does. 

Sent from mTalk

You seem to forget that BlackBerry has many contracts in force that they have to honor. BB10 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Next week they'll unveil the new software program that has Microsoft's enterprise market squarely in their cross-hairs. The longer Windows goes without a Good for Work app or native support, the slimmer their chances to make a real dent in the enterprise sector.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

You seem to forget that BlackBerry has many contracts in force that they have to honor. BB10 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Next week they'll unveil the new software program that has Microsoft's enterprise market squarely in their cross-hairs. The longer Windows goes without a Good for Work app or native support, the slimmer their chances to make a real dent in the enterprise sector.

I've been using Blackberry devices since 2006, so I'm quite aware of their history as well as their conversion to a software company. Enjoy your BB device.

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I've been using Blackberry devices since 2006, so I'm quite aware of their history as well as their conversion to a software company. Enjoy your BB device.

Sent from mTalk
I enjoy all my devices, Windows included. What I don't do is blind myself to each platform's fallacies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Compared to what blackberry has/Astoria no I don't mind.
I have full access to the Play Store. Astoria was cancelled by Microsoft due to piracy concerns - there is no Astoria. How do I have access to the Play Store? Because unlike Windows, OS10 has/had an active community that enabled it. I still am, and always will be, a fan of Windows Mobile. But don't even try to suggest the development is better than OS10 and its Android capabilities. While the Windows Store keeps losing apps, I'm enjoying fresh updates on apps long since abandoned by developers. Yeah, I'm enjoying my Passport and my WM phones and PCs. I'm sorry if I've committed some form of heresy by saying so but that's just the way it is. Burn the witch later, I'm busy right now making a fresh pot.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I enjoy all my devices, Windows included. What I don't do is blind myself to each platform's fallacies.
I honestly think this is the best way to go, and I generally try to take that advice for myself. It's impossible to go wrong with it. If that rumor of the small Blackberry phone actually comes to fruition, it could be fun to try.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I honestly think this is the best way to go, and I generally try to take that advice for myself. It's impossible to go wrong with it. If that rumor of the small Blackberry phone actually comes to fruition, it could be fun to try.
If you're referring to the small-ish keyboard BlackBerry rumor, that one is running Android. OS10 is effectively dead on the consumer side of things with at least one more firmware update and a host of new enterprise apps coming. As long as the Android apps continue to support 4.3 Jelly Bean, it's still a viable option for those of us who prefer swipe gestures a la webOS. That and the most comprehensive notification center available on any platform.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

If you're referring to the small-ish keyboard BlackBerry rumor, that one is running Android. OS10 is effectively dead on the consumer side of things with at least one more firmware update and a host of new enterprise apps coming. As long as the Android apps continue to support 4.3 Jelly Bean, it's still a viable option for those of us who prefer swipe gestures a la webOS. That and the most comprehensive notification center available on any platform.
That might be true but if this is it, I would love to try it! It looks kind of big though.

https://twitter.com/CrackBerry/status/804935999771947008

http://crackberry.com/could-be-first-real-look-blackberrys-next-qwerty-device

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

That is indeed the purported Mercury. It's only a 4-1/2" display (3:2 ratio) so it can't be that tall. Considering the display ratio, it would be shorter, albeit wider, than the 16:9 4" display of the iPhone SE. Because of the portrait qwerty, they had to go with a flatter aspect ratio otherwise the buttons would be unusable. I can't imagine this phone having a bigger footprint than a typical 5" slab.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

That is indeed the purported Mercury. It's only a 4-1/2" display (3:2 ratio) so it can't be that tall. Considering the display ratio, it would be shorter, albeit wider, than the 16:9 4" display of the iPhone SE. Because of the portrait qwerty, they had to go with a flatter aspect ratio otherwise the buttons would be unusable. I can't imagine this phone having a bigger footprint than a typical 5" slab.
Interesting! I hope that you're right. Hopefully it wouldn't carry Priv pricing at launch.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Interesting! I hope that you're right. Hopefully it wouldn't carry Priv pricing at launch.
It'll probably be priced closer to the DTEK50 ($299) considering it has similar specs. Better camera though, I hope it's the same 18MP from the Priv with the Schneider-Hasenpfeffer (or whatever it's called) lens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss