Beauty is as beauty does (n't)...

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Recent job hours reductions forced me off my WP7 Arrive as a smartphone to just a PDA and back to the Feature Phone Sanyo scp8400.

What has come to light is that I DO prefer custom alert tones for DIFFERENT notices which come through fine on the Sanyo, but as we all know are NOT available on WP! Hmmm, but Android does, and so does iOS now.

I cannot exchange the great pix and videos from my Arrive to my Netbook or my laptop unless I have ZUNE AND a Wi FI connection - not always available when I am in the field. WHY isn't Bluetooth file exchange turned on? But hmmm, Android does bluetooth file exchange.

My WP7 phone ( and most of the ones out there) don't even utilize a micro SD card - so cannot simply swap a card to change files! But the Sanyo feature phone has a swappable micro SD card! As do most Android phones.

I have no file explorer on board. But the Sanyo feature phone does! I can view files saved o the phone as well as files saved to the card.

WP7 touts "integration" - but with WHAT? I can't use it as a USB device - but my Sanyo feature phone does!

Skydrive files don't want to open on my phone, and if they open it is read only - they aren't editable and my phone files don't want to open in skydrive! The office app installed on the phone is NOT backwards compatible with older Office files - and converting them is creating a nightmare of files between my laptop, skydrive and the phone and requires an investment of incredible amounts of time as well as an upgrade of office to the tune of close to 200.00!

Synchronzing of files via ZUNE is NOT quick, nor intuitive, nor synchronistic! Files get duplicated, not deleted, or deleted on one device and not the other requiring me to follow behind the sync to clean up the mess!

Even as simply a WI-FI device my notices from facebook, and through people hub don't update automatically.

IF I was to get a tablet - I couldn't exchange anything with my phone unless there was a Wi-FI, and then its very likely that any files exchanged couldn't be edited anyway , connection so this pretty to look at smartphone ends up pretty dumb!

I'm rebuilding my service business as part time income and will need a way to:

1) take photos and videos, quickly draw lines on them to emphasize features and points of interest or that need attention.
2) Offer input of findings to excel spread sheets.
3) Create invoices.
4) Take payments while in the field - using MORE than just a Wi-FI but none of the Card reader companies look like they are or will be supporting WP devices!
5) Recognize various communication alerts to know which ones to respond to immediately or ones that can wait a few moments, so as not to interrupt work at hand.

The current 8107 update doesn't address ANY of these issues.

Sure WP7 is visually pleasing; except that I cannot even personalize the device beyond ten colors of tiles. So far the device itself has NOT been buggy. The Arrive is solid, but the physical case buttons are all in the wrong places and persistently aggravate me when they get bumped. The screen is crystal clear, responsive with no visible pixelation; but the capacitive buttons are extremely annoying and seem hypersensitive. Marketplace apps are growing, but I don't give a crap about games of war or Angry birds or Pac Man! I simply want but to have a device actually INTEGRATE with actual business TOOLS (that Microsoft created and I already use)! It appears that I looked in the wrong place to "get things done"!

:unsure: Am beginning to think that the "dark side of Android" may be just a gray area afterall - because things for me here in WP7 land are looking pretty dim!

London Jr

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
WP7 definitely has those particular gripes, i feel you... I loved those futures on my android phone and i still do on my ipad (ease of accessing and creatingg docs i mean) but thats where it stops for me... o and the message thread count on android, i loved that feature for some reason... WP7 does most of the other things better, and i do believe that where the customization really comes in is with the live tiles... check out the live tile thread below in the forum... i have no doubt these gripes will be addressed though, don't forget, apple and android have just ironed out alot of these thing after respectively 5 (i think) and 4 years... windows phone bested them in a number of way before 2...

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
then stick with android if you like it better. im sure it wont be long before you OS is no longer supported, apps start force closing, transitions are lagging, battery is draining very quickly, sd card support bet yet it doesnt really sync with anything properly, random reboots, hardware failure, the need to power your device on/off DAILY,texts going to wrong people, music with incorrect album art, music that you cant reallly organize properly, wifi problems, data drops, radio issues, and heres a few more...

ID ▼ Type ▼ Status ▼ Owner ▼ Summary + Labels ▼ Stars ▼ ...
29464 Defect New ---- Extremly high battery usage stat 1
29463 Defect New sm...@android.com Add a note for Windows users: Start Android SDK Manager with administrator privileges 1
29462 Defect New sm...@android.com Dead Link 1
29461 Defect New ---- Incorrect time displayed on French network (GMT instead of GMT+02:00) 1
29460 Defect New sm...@android.com Deprecated documentations 2
29459 Defect New ---- email to calender 1
29458 Defect New ---- Maps Application is appear in resent menu. 1
29457 Defect New ---- Google Maps will open in browser not maps app. 1
29456 Defect New ---- WebView crashes when using iframes in it 1
29455 Defect New ---- EAP SIM Need for Free mobile 1
29454 Defect New ---- Prolonged blackout screen and then play store crashed. 1
29453 Defect New ---- Multiple AsyncTasks can't run in "doInbackground()" simultaneously when the value of "targetSdkVersion" is higher than 12. 2
29452 Defect New ---- does not translated to Russian 1
29451 Defect New ---- Recent Apps & back button behaviour is strange and inconsistant with prev. versions 1
29450 Defect New ---- Force close display while tap on featured apps 1
29449 Defect New ---- "waiting for sync" screen appears when re-enter to gmail 1
29448 Defect New ---- friends is not checked and top side it is d/p as 1 is selected and ok button appears as active in messenger 1
29447 Defect New ---- Force close occured while tap on "Get kindle for Android" in Amazon kindle 1
29446 Defect New ---- Code Defect 1
29445 Defect New ---- Android SDK Manager fails to connect with https and http to fetch addons and other required stuff for working 1
29444 Defect New ---- exception occurs at google playbooks (Unfortunately, Google PlayBooks has stopped.) 1
29443 Defect New ---- Clipboard option is not available in potrait mode while Sending feedback in gmail. 1
29442 Defect New ---- exception occurs at google playbooks (Unfortunately, Google PlayBooks has stopped.) 1
29441 Defect New ---- "Back and sign in options" are overlapped by password field. 1
29440 Defect New ---- Control goes to previous screen. 1
29439 Enhancement New tnor...@google.com XML editor: automatically insert layout_width and layout_height when using the completion 1
29438 Defect New ---- Previous/signed in talk account screen comes when tap on back after signing out from talk account. 1
29437 Defect New ---- (keypad is running and random text creation is not done) in google login 1
29436 Defect New ---- Android SIP Native Dialer 1
29435 Defect New ---- exception occurs at remote pvr (unfortunately, google play store has stopped.) 1
29434 Defect New ---- Text is overlaping in Youtube widget 1
29433 Defect New ---- exception occurs at maps (Unfortunately, Maps has stopped.) 1
29432 Defect New ---- music player autolaunch 1
29431 Defect New ---- exception occurs at google plus (unfortunately, the process com.google.android.apps.plus has stopped.) 1
29430 Defect New ---- Open source Lincense pop up getting hide after changing orientation in Play books. 1
29429 Defect New ---- dfg 1
29428 Defect New ---- df 1
29427 Defect New ---- OvalShape and PathShape don't behave the same when given identical drawing instructions. 1
29426 Defect New ---- Keystore corrupted 1
29425 Defect Assigned tnor...@google.com new properties view doesn't work in layouts with custom views 1
29424 Defect New ---- Hebrew text is overlapped.(Youtube) 1
29423 Defect New ---- The item press state is not removed when finger left the screen outside of the item in the listview 1
29422 Defect New ---- Talk app rings continuous tone with no reason 1
29421 Defect New ---- Problem Previous/signed in talk account screen comes when tap on back after signing out from talk account. 1
29420 Defect New ---- Problem: long text is broken as sliding is not done ; there is no rewind icon 1
29419 Defect New ---- Problem: text is inputted on keypad 1
29418 Defect New ---- Problem: exception occurs at google play music (Unfortunately, google play music has stopped.) 1
29417 Defect New ---- The whole page down the "Google+ Web app" menu is empty upto the end of the web page. 1
29416 Defect New ---- font is seen in choco cooky from basic font When enter to gmail. 1
29415 Defect New ---- Contact widget is too tight to adjacent widget or edge of screen 1
29414 Defect New ---- Headline text does not display in Contact open via Voice talk. 1
29413 Defect New ---- Exception when changing mode to landscape!!! 1
29412 Defect New ---- Voice search screen disappears when we unlock the device. 1
29411 Defect New ---- Problem Previous/signed in talk account screen comes when tap on back after signing out from talk account. 1
29410 Defect New ---- Phone is not displaying "Select input languages" header in Google voice typing. 1
29409 Defect New ---- Screen turns on frequently without any notification even if the screen is locked. It automatically switch on and off the screen lights. 1
29408 Defect New ---- com.google.android.apps.maps crashed (java.lang.IllegalArgumentException) 2 times during monkey test 1
29407 Defect New ---- Problem: text is inputted on keypad 1
29406 Defect New ---- com.google.android.apps.maps crashed (java.lang.NullPointerException) during monkey test 1
29405 Defect New ---- Problem: In Google Play Music sliding cannot be done and the rewind icon is missing 1
29404 Defect New ---- Google+ app causing extreme battery drain on ICS 1
29403 Defect New ---- Hebrew language is not sorting by right side. 1
29402 Defect New sm...@android.com Force close 1
29401 Defect New ---- [Gmail] After report spam, the selected mail does not disappear from Trash. 1
29400 Defect New sm...@android.com Uncertain result of strings comparison found in demo code 1
29399 Defect New ---- Intent.createChooser() can cause a BroadcastReceiver leak 1
29398 Defect New ---- Force Close com.android.vending 1
29397 Defect New ---- Force close at com.android.vending 1
29396 Defect New ---- drawBitmap() creates defects on Canvas/Bitmap when called to many times per second 1
29395 Enhancement New ---- Application groups should be in the application screen 1
29394 Defect New ---- android.bluetooth.BluetoothA2dp.isA2dpPlaying(BluetoothDevice device) requires BLUETOOTH_ADMIN 1
29393 Defect New to...@android.com Can't step over some function calls in ndk-gdb 1
29392 Defect New ---- Compass upside-down? 1
29391 Defect New ---- Arabic Language is not shown completed in 1
29390 Defect New ---- Camera 3 times slower in 4.0.4 2
29389 Defect New ---- Day gone from Calendar edit 1
29388 Defect New sm...@android.com Your NDK documentation is very very bad !!! 1
29387 Defect New sm...@android.com Out of date on showDialog() 1
29386 Defect New ---- galaxy sII email widget 1
29385 Defect New tnor...@google.com XML code completion does not work if XML template was defined 1
29384 Defect New andrewhs...@google.com Qemu goldfish trace problem 1
29383 Defect New ---- 3G Radio data speed issue when switching from 3G to 2G and 3G back again. 1
29382 Enhancement New tnor...@google.com Add Android Lint check for "super" in important lifecycle methods 1
29381 Defect New sm...@android.com bloody remove the apps history of old or past or previous apps history 1
29380 Defect New sm...@android.com blood remove the apps history of past previous apps loade history 2
29379 Defect New ---- Gallery Does Not Sync Properly With Picasa Web Albums When Playing Videos 2
29378 Defect New ---- java.lang.AssertionError(Object) should not initialize the cause 1
29377 Defect New ---- galaxy nexus does not charge the battery 1
29376 Defect New ---- Nexus S frozen on boot screen after upgrade to ICS 1
29375 Defect New ---- Searchview style Theme.Holo.Light.Darkactionbar is missing! 1
29374 Defect New sm...@android.com locked out off facebook phone is broken and it keeps sending codes onlt to my broken it to my phone 1
29373 Defect New ---- Force close displaying when user try to open web page when google play movies app is running in background 1
29372 Defect New ---- Out of Memory due to heap size increasing. 1
29371 Defect New ---- ANR in music 1
29370 Defect New ---- Activity's onCreateThumbnail() is never called on Android 4.0.3/4 1
29369 Defect New ---- Force Close 1
29368 Defect New ---- Problem with order of Android libraries when compiling from command-line 1
29367 Defect New ---- KeyChain install intent 1
29366 Defect New ---- Force close occured while logging in while editing through photo editor 1
29365 Defect New sm...@android.com Screen sizes: Table 3. Some key resolutions not shown 1

CSV
1 - 100 of 20887 Next ›
Sort Up
Sort Down
Hide Column

notice this is page one of 20,000 plus, ENJOY your ANDROID!!!
and here is a link to the actual site just in case you need it, staright from google.
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list

Last edited:

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I really don't think this phone was intended to be a business phone, not a "computer on the go" like androids and iOS. The many gripes you have I don't even get bothered with because I have other devices that can do that for me. I didn't prioritize my phone to be a business device.

I know I know, some of these features aren't only used in business functions, but you really have to take WP7 for what it is, and that is step 2 in the right direction. If you came into the WP7 world expecting it to be all of that, then you really should have done some extensive research before you got it. Sorry my friend, but it's not for everyone. Thankfully you have choices. I know you probably posted because you want to like WP7, but you can't because of it's shortcomings in your lifestyle, but don't worry...you'll be back when they shape up.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Geeeeeez did you have to all over his parade Dizzy? lol. I mean....daaaamn. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I still disagree with anyone who says it is not a business phone.

I am always using it on the go!

Documents editing i.e. Excel sheets - I edit it on the move, upload it on Skydrive and share the link via Outlook with my boss. Same with word and notes.

You are complaining about not being able to 'see the files' but you can!

Your docuemnts - in office hub.
Your pictures - in pictures hub.
Your videos and music - in music hub.

On Sanyo you get custom alerts as in one for facebook, one for whats app, one for twitter, one for email, one for sms? :eek:

On WP you can have a custom alert for 3rd party notifications, one for emails, one for texts, one for calls. You can also have custom ringtones by contacts! How much custom does a businessman really have time for? ;)

I have a feeling you aren't using Skydrive as it should be! You can edit EVERYTHING that is on your skydrive, be it a word doc, presentation or excel file. You need to click 'edit'. You can save it on phone or save it back on skydrive. Get a link and forward it to anyone you want by email (2g connection will do, don't need wifi!)

Same with picture! - use the 25 GB storage space if you want. I have made my phone to 'auto-upload to skydrive' so everytime I take a pic it's on skydrive after 2 minutes. I just grab a link using my skydrive app and share it. If you dont want that, you can share via emails!

I don't buy the notifications not working for fb etc on wifi! Ok, on a bad day, ME tile messes up. But normally all social networks on ME tile are quick to notify!

To take pictures and edit them i.e. draw lines - there are editing apps in the market. Just grab the one that suits your needs. You can edit them, save them. Most of them allow you to upload it to skydrive. So save them on skydrive. If you want immediate share, fire up a link via skydrive or an email!

I am not sure if you Sanyo or Android or iOS will create or have an app for invoices, but you could just make an invoice template in OneNote and then save your new invoices by 'save as' button and share when need be. I have my payments invoice in the Excel format. I save by client names and numbers and email them to the boss as need be.

Only thing I can see WP not being able to do is payments on the field.

I am hoping you at least have a 2g connection. All of the above can happen with 2g but painfully slow.
With 3g you are good to go.
Now WP is on the 4G/LTE days so I would generally presume that everyone with WP is with a carrier who can give affordable data service. However, if you don't have a data package then Android might be as useless to you or any other smartphone.

My 2 cents.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hate to burst your bubble. But I'm pretty sure ALL phone OS's have a hug bug list.
then stick with android if you like it better. im sure it wont be long before you OS is no longer supported, apps start force closing, transitions are lagging, battery is draining very quickly, sd card support bet yet it doesnt really sync with anything properly, random reboots, hardware failure, the need to power your device on/off DAILY,texts going to wrong people, music with incorrect album art, music that you cant reallly organize properly, wifi problems, data drops, radio issues, and heres a few more...

notice this is page one of 20,000 plus, ENJOY your ANDROID!!!
and here is a link to the actual site just in case you need it, staright from google.
Issues - android - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
so from what i understand . you returned your WP and you dont use it ... and now your complaining about a phone you dont even have?

what was the point of this post? to tell us your getting a Android phone?

try here next time: www.androidcentral.com

or wait for Apollo and see if any of your problems are addressed. :)

Last edited:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

Documents editing i.e. Excel sheets - I edit it on the move, upload it on Skydrive and share the link via Outlook with my boss. Same with word and notes.

On Sanyo you get custom alerts as in one for facebook, one for whats app, one for twitter, one for email, one for sms? :eek:

On WP you can have a custom alert for 3rd party notifications, one for emails, one for texts, one for calls. You can also have custom ringtones by contacts! How much custom does a businessman really have time for? ;)

I have a feeling you aren't using Skydrive as it should be! You can edit EVERYTHING that is on your skydrive, be it a word doc, presentation or excel file. You need to click 'edit'. You can save it on phone or save it back on skydrive. Get a link and forward it to anyone you want by email (2g connection will do, don't need wifi!)

Same with picture! - use the 25 GB storage space if you want. I have made my phone to 'auto-upload to skydrive' so everytime I take a pic it's on skydrive after 2 minutes. I just grab a link using my skydrive app and share it. If you dont want that, you can share via emails!

I don't buy the notifications not working for fb etc on wifi! Ok, on a bad day, ME tile messes up. But normally all social networks on ME tile are quick to notify!

To take pictures and edit them i.e. draw lines - there are editing apps in the market. Just grab the one that suits your needs. You can edit them, save them. Most of them allow you to upload it to skydrive. So save them on skydrive. If you want immediate share, fire up a link via skydrive or an email!

I am not sure if you Sanyo or Android or iOS will create or have an app for invoices, but you could just make an invoice template in OneNote and then save your new invoices by 'save as' button and share when need be. I have my payments invoice in the Excel format. I save by client names and numbers and email them to the boss as need be.

I am hoping you at least have a 2g connection. All of the above can happen with 2g but painfully slow.
Now WP is on the 4G/LTE days so I would generally presume that everyone with WP is with a carrier who can give affordable data service. However, if you don't have a data package then Android might be as useless to you or any other smartphone.

My 2 cents.

There are apps for taking payments on your mobile device

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Luckily there aren't any threads on here about any WP having problems, glad to know only Android has problems. I think we all are a bit short sighted if we won't admit there are some weaknesses in WP. Yes Apollo will probably address many if not all of these weaknesses, but those phones are a ways off. Seems like anyone that finds a fault with WP on these forums gets slammed almost like the android and apple forum do to critics of their os.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Luckily there aren't any threads on here about any WP having problems, glad to know only Android has problems. I think we all are a bit short sighted if we won't admit there are some weaknesses in WP. Yes Apollo will probably address many if not all of these weaknesses, but those phones are a ways off. Seems like anyone that finds a fault with WP on these forums gets slammed almost like the android and apple forum do to critics of their os.

That's not true. There are plenty of people that find some fault with WP. I think that people are just annoyed that overall ppl aren't giving wp7 a fair shake and some credit. So of course they have to tall up their new favorite OS. I'll be the first to say WP isn't complete but for what it is now it's ok. Better fays are coming.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

London Jr

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

this guy was actually bashing wp7 a bit, but if u notice, he wasn't really being bashed by most comments, some even agreed... with a few issues being debatable. so not bashing, debating man... now lets all be in peace maannnn

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

My 2 cents.
Couldn't agree more! This thread is obviously from someone who obviously wanted to rile up the WP community
Hate to burst your bubble. But I'm pretty sure ALL phone OS's have a hug bug list.

Hate to burst your bubble but my HD7 has been more stable and faster than any other phone OS out there. Safari in iOS crashes all the time, haven't gotten a single crash in IE.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Some of you obviously haven't used Android in a couple years, have you?

Also, lol at feature phone>WP7.

I just left 1 yr old LG Android phone running Gingerbread for the Lumia.

I owned a Toshiba Thrive Android tablet running Honeycomb too.

The experiences I had with both have cured me of any desire to even look at anything that runs Android for a long, long time.

The phone was complete crap, just got slower and glitchier over time, without me doing anything anymore unusual than loading a few apps from the Android Market. After 3 months, the camera app wouldn't even launch without crashing EVERY time. The tablet was marginally acceptable, but I couldn't even get a Netflix app for it for the ENTIRE time I owned it because Android fragmentation is so ridiculous that they literally need to make dozens of SEPERATE Netflix apps with different DRM for all the different models, even models running the SAME version of Android. Another tablet with Honeycomb got a Netflix app, while mine did not and the same app would not work on my tablet.

Android seems best left to turbo nerd hobbyists who enjoy troubleshooting more than actually getting some use out of the device IMO. There is so much inconsistency at every level. I don't understand the appeal of the random free-for-all chaos on something that is an essential communication device that needs to be reliable and trouble free above all. It makes no sense at all.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

point of my reply wasnt to compare hug bug lists, but rather to remind us of how buggy android is. their list has to be far larger than ours or ios's. all of the issues i described arent on wp7 platform. no bubble burstin here, lol.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I just came from an android phone before my Lumia. I really liked it. Did have its flaws like all smartphones, but androids on LTE were lacking in battery life and stability. All of my LTE devices had to get replaced due to numerous issues.droid charge, bionic, and then the rezound, which in my opinion was verizons best overall device. WP7 brought something different. While some had problems, other then that data issue, I've had very little problems. Other things are just OS limitations. But nothing major. Like I said before, WP isn't for everyone.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I just left 1 yr old LG Android phone running Gingerbread for the Lumia.

I owned a Toshiba Thrive Android tablet running Honeycomb too.

The experiences I had with both have cured me of any desire to even look at anything that runs Android for a long, long time.

The phone was complete crap, just got slower and glitchier over time, without me doing anything anymore unusual than loading a few apps from the Android Market. After 3 months, the camera app wouldn't even launch without crashing EVERY time. The tablet was marginally acceptable, but I couldn't even get a Netflix app for it for the ENTIRE time I owned it because Android fragmentation is so ridiculous that they literally need to make dozens of SEPERATE Netflix apps with different DRM for all the different models, even models running the SAME version of Android. Another tablet with Honeycomb got a Netflix app, while mine did not and the same app would not work on my tablet.

Android seems best left to turbo nerd hobbyists who enjoy troubleshooting more than actually getting some use out of the device IMO. There is so much inconsistency at every level. I don't understand the appeal of the random free-for-all chaos on something that is an essential communication device that needs to be reliable and trouble free above all. It makes no sense at all.

That kind of mess sounds like user error, not the OS. Android has bugs. Every OS has bugs. That's the nature of software. But I've never had a problem with force closes, radios, reboots, or any of the other strawmen you've been erecting.
Yep, nerd hobbyists like 50% of the American smartphone market.