Been using my 1020 as GPS in Florida. AWESOME

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The HERE apps in the 1020 are the best nav apps, Hell they are the best GPS for street I have used. Better than the dedicated Garmin Module I use. I love my phone. It is a great phone for actual calls, its the best gps phone, and its way and far ahead of every other phone for photos.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Maybe it's Ohio. My 830 locks in quickly all through the south that I travel frequently (AL, TN, NC, SC, GA, FL). I think it's because the Heavens love the South. :wink:

George Kyr

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
After a road trip abroad, I can say that Here Drive+ is probably the best FREE software. And is probably the best overall as far as windows phone OS is concerned.
The only reason I kept my android phone is to use it as a dedicated GPS device using a fully modded iGO with latest maps...Here Drive+ needs a long way to get to the excellence of that solution.

Gaming Life

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Pankaj, why is my 830 not showing accurate location. It shows my location about 0.9 mile from where I am at. I am offline in airplane mode. It's it suppose to be like this when I am offline? No network...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Pankaj, why is my 830 not showing accurate location. It shows my location about 0.9 mile from where I am at. I am offline in airplane mode. It's it suppose to be like this when I am offline? No network...
Never tried offline mode so I can't comment on that feature in particular. I'll try it and post back soon. From my experience the location starts out slightly begin off but once you start driving (or walking) the GPS recalibrates till it gets a lock. After that the directions are correctly routed with correct estimates. Again these are just my experiences with my 920, 830 and my previously owned 925. The recalibration does take a few seconds though.

Gaming Life

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Yeah it is only when I am offline with no data or Wi-Fi. However, as soon as I am on Wi-Fi (I have no data plan), the location is very accurate.

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Here and Nokia maps were always great for offline navigation. The problem surfaces when you try to get from one point to another in rush-hour traffic. Dynamic re-routing on the go was promised for 2 years now and it is still not there. Moreover, Here was winding down development for Windows Phone as announced back at the end of last year. After no updates for nearly 2 years...so doubt we will see anything.

I think at this point Microsoft developed their own solution with traffic rerouting, so the HERE days may be numbered.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it is only when I am offline with no data or Wi-Fi. However, as soon as I am on Wi-Fi (I have no data plan), the location is very accurate.
Out of curiosity, is it expensive to have a data plan on your current carrier? Or is the phone a GPS only device?

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Used offline mode with my old 928 up in northwest Ontario on a fly in fishing trip last summer. GPS only and had no problems getting a good and quick lock.

Bonus was having a pretty good camera in the same device.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I used mine in Nova Scotia as well and it was dead on accurate, we were in places with no or spotty service and it still worked great. Like I said, its better than the dedicated Garmin units you can buy.

Gaming Life

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Never tried offline mode so I can't comment on that feature in particular. I'll try it and post back soon. From my experience the location starts out slightly begin off but once you start driving (or walking) the GPS recalibrates till it gets a lock. After that the directions are correctly routed with correct estimates. Again these are just my experiences with my 920, 830 and my previously owned 925. The recalibration does take a few seconds though.

Did you try it in offline mode??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizmizo