Before I get it, few questions (currently LG G2)

stitch19

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I have an LG G2 5.2" for over 5 months now. Great phone. But, I hate the fact that it still lags while having great hardware and I hate the fact how complicated and filled with gimmicks android is.
I had an iphone 5 before the LG and was great, just the tiny screen was not enough to keep me within iOS.
I have normal sized hands, whatever that means. I suddenly have a huge love for big screens and I am thinking to jump to 1520.

1. I am using emails a lot. How is the email client on WP8? Does it have one where I add all my email accounts and get everything within one app?
2. I love the camera, just wanted to ask how hard is it to take selfies with one hand pressing the dedicated button? I am talking about the back camera use and not front facing. (hate selfies but got a girlfriend so you know -.- )
3. How good is the front facing camera for skype video calls? I have to say my LG G2 front facing is great, even in low light, it definitely beats my iphone 5.
4. In android there is an option which when using data(2g/3g/4g) it doesn't let the phone update apps or download images inside the emails. Anything similar in WP8? Or at least in the upcoming 8.1?
5. Is it possible to add a custom ringtone for the phone? Even through using pc i dont mind.
6. How good is the facebook app for WP8? on iOS its amazing, on android very good.
7. The double tap to wake up also exists on my G2, it works well when phone is on dest and when in hands ye?
8. Besides clock, what else can you add on the glance screen?

I apologise for all the questions, i know many of them are only for WP8 and not 1520.

If by any luck, chance, miracle, anyone of you had LG G2 and got 1520, please let me know with your experience.

Thank you! :evil:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Answers are in Red.

1. I am using emails a lot. How is the email client on WP8? Does it have one where I add all my email accounts and get everything within one app?
The apps isn't spectacular, think along the lines of early Apple iOS but you can link your email address

2. I love the camera, just wanted to ask how hard is it to take selfies with one hand pressing the dedicated button? I am talking about the back camera use and not front facing. (hate selfies but got a girlfriend so you know -.- )
You can tap the screen instead of using the button

3. How good is the front facing camera for skype video calls? I have to say my LG G2 front facing is great, even in low light, it definitely beats my iphone 5.
As good as most front facing cameras. They're nothing special but good enough.

4. In android there is an option which when using data(2g/3g/4g) it doesn't let the phone update apps or download images inside the emails. Anything similar in WP8? Or at least in the upcoming 8.1?

Currently apps don't automatically update but that option is coming. Same goes for pictures in emails. Currently the don't download but the option will be available

5. Is it possible to add a custom ringtone for the phone? Even through using pc i dont mind.

Yes custom ringtones are possible. As well as custom SMS tones etc.

6. How good is the facebook app for WP8? on iOS its amazing, on android very good.
I don't mind it but I know many people who hate it so if you're a big Facebook user you may be disappointed if you require a full featured app. Apparently the new one coming will be fantastic though.

7. The double tap to wake up also exists on my G2, it works well when phone is on dest and when in hands ye?
Basically it works when the screen is locked. If that's what you mean.

8. Besides clock, what else can you add on the glance screen?
Glance shows the same notifications that are on your lockscreen. So whatever you have set there will display on Glance.

Most of the options you are discussing are Nokia based too. Not all WP have Glance and double tap awake.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I actually LOVE threads where the OP knows what exactly they are looking for in a device. It is great for us to respond to.

1) I use 2 seperate email servers. I get excellent updates, and the changes I make on my WP reflect promptly. No worries there.
2) & 3) The front facing camera is very good. I am not a huge user, but I know L1520 users love multi-media otherwise this is not the phone for you. It easy to take selfies. Like- turn your brain off and just react kind of easy. Skype will have HUGE improvements with WP 8.1. Much overdue. I expect it to be a great performance. Right now, believe or not, the WP Skype experience lags behind iOS and Android. I expect that to be a non-factor. I am betting good money that the L1520 will be among the first to get WP 8.1.
4) Excellent question. I do not even have a poor answer. I will check into it and update with any answer I get.
5) Yep.
6) I am a very light Facebook user. So for me, WP is great. For more intense users, there are complaints that the Facebook interface has fallen behind Android and especially iOS. I will not comment on that, but I upload photos and respond to posts just fine and I am pleased.
7) Not sure what you mean, but tapping works fine.
8) You just see icons informing you of missed calls and messages, if memory serves.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

#1 you can link all email accounts and have them in one app.

#2. I usually tap the screen to take shots because the dedicated button for "selfies" is cumbersome, but tapping the screen requires the windows phone camera (set in phone settings). The 1520 has Nokia Cam installed by default and it doesn't support tap to shoot, only focus.

#3 FFC is average to me. It gets the job done.

#4. What you listed is already by default on WP, since there isn't an option to change them.

#5 yes, through PC, or through an app.

#6. I really like FB and the new FB messenger. Both have been stable and smooth.

#7. Double tap to wake works "ok" for me. Even tho its "ok" its still my primary use. I also use an app to lock the phone.. (trying to spare wear on the buttons)

#8. This is kinda a two part answer. Glance screen is mostly comprised of the same layout as the lock screen. You have a "detailed" section that shows part of a message, a callers number and name, an appointment, etc. Same for battery or other phone info apps.

The lower portion shows icons of apps, for missed calls, messages, etc. Wpcentral uses both detailed and icons. Same for battery or other phone info apps. So mix it up.
Other than that,

-pictures
-stats from Nokia Motion Monitor (Nokia Motion Monitor displays their info differently from anything else. It displays at the top of the screen in big bold numbers and words. Its nice looking and helpful if you're into that type of thing. You can also use NMM for your lock screen too to get an even more "visual/graph" of how you're doing within the app/what NMM has recorded.

-if you have TimeMe (dev app because of 1min updates) installed, you can have both "weather and calendar" displayed in "detailed" messages. If you do install this app, you can have up to the minute battery and weather too. WP limitation is any app update(unless they use a push notification) can occur at a minimal of 30mins.

Last edited:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Thank you! :evil:

I use 2 different facebook apps to make up what I could do in Android. One is the regular facebook app, I like the live tiles. But to do everything else I use Explorer for Facebook. I help moderate a facebook page and the regular facebook app, either doesn't let me add people when they request it, or I just haven't found a way to do so. Explorer for Facebook will let me do that easily. Also when I check in with the reg FB app, it finds the theater I am in. But in Explorer for FB, it not only finds the theater, when I click on it, it brings up the list of movies that are playing. So I don't have to say Watching Captain America, all I do is hit the theater, then select the movie I am watching, if it isn't there, you just start typing the name and it appears. This will also let your followers know what movie, where and how long you will be out of touch,, Very cool.... :grin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h