Best Antivirus Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Good morning,
I was wondering what you guys all used for an antivirus.
Are you just fine with the built-in Windows Defender? It's a great default option that constantly gets better. It's all I'm currently using on my Surface Pro 4.
Do you use a free antivirus solution? On my old laptop I used Bitdefender 2014 Free Edition. I loved it. It got updated almost every day for years, was extremely fast and very, very discreet. The only issue was there was almost no advanced options and it was finicky to keep open and access.
Maybe you pay for a fancy antivirus? If so, why?
Or maybe you use the antivirus that came with your computer. If you do, Norton is a virus in itself.

I've considered getting Avast (the free version, I don't need fancy paid antiviruses because 99% of viruses and malware can be avoided by being safe). Do any of you use it?

Let's talk!

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
(the free version, I don't need fancy paid antiviruses because 99% of viruses and malware can be avoided by being safe).

This.

Common Sense is all that is needed. Now i use Windows Defender by default as it's not that easy to disable it now.. But previous versions of windows from xp come up, i never used any.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I've used ESET for years. Have a two PC license for my desktop (W10) and laptop (W7). I have a third PC for my ham radio system running W7, and I use Sophos Home on it. ESET is very fast, and hasn't had the issues I've experienced with the early favorites (McAfee, Symnatec, etc.).

I like to know if there's been an issue, and the ESET alerting for spyware/malware/dangerous sites fill my needs.

To each his own. . .

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I've used Bitdefender (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012), Kaspersky, McAfee, ESET Nod32, AVG, ThreatFire, Avast, Avira, and Windows Defender (Windows 10). Among these, I have retained Avira.

I used to have a paid version of Bitdefender (that's why I've been using it for over three years back then), but Avira seems to be working well as a free option. After a few weeks of using it you'll start to see pop-ups at the bottom left of your screen to upgrade to this and that there are X number of threats out there, but if you can live with those pop-ups Avira should address your needs.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I usually use AVG or Avast but for the past year or two I've been using Windows Defender (Win10).

I haven't had a problem (yet) with the built-in virus protect from Microsoft.

tonytranupg

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
It appears that Windows Defender is good, but I couldn't put everything on it. Instead, I choose Kaspersky Internet Security, which cost me a particular money per year, but I have more confident on it.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
This.

Common Sense is all that is needed. Now i use Windows Defender by default as it's not that easy to disable it now.. But previous versions of windows from xp come up, i never used any.

I'm under the mindset that having a backup plan never hurts, as long as that plan stays out of your way and never interferes with your day-to-day activities. That's why I was such a fan of Bitdefender because it was incredibly discreet and never hogged my resources.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I've used Bitdefender (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012), Kaspersky, McAfee, ESET Nod32, AVG, ThreatFire, Avast, Avira, and Windows Defender (Windows 10). Among these, I have retained Avira.

I used to have a paid version of Bitdefender (that's why I've been using it for over three years back then), but Avira seems to be working well as a free option. After a few weeks of using it you'll start to see pop-ups at the bottom left of your screen to upgrade to this and that there are X number of threats out there, but if you can live with those pop-ups Avira should address your needs.

Were you using the free version of Avast? I've heard good things about it. Like I said before, the reason I liked the free version of Bitdefender was because it never once bugged me to upgrade or anything like that.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Were you using the free version of Avast? I've heard good things about it. Like I said before, the reason I liked the free version of Bitdefender was because it never once bugged me to upgrade or anything like that.

Yes. However, uninstalling Avast! was more tedious than I'd prefer; back then the user needed to download a special uninstaller from Avast!, restart the PC a few times, and clean the registry before Avast is completely removed. If I recall correctly, Avast! had a huge disadvantage: if the user performs a PC scan and Avast! detects something, the entire scan will be paused until the user does something; not a good mode of operation when the user intends to scan a 1TB drive overnight, only to find that it was stuck at 4% because it was waiting for user input.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Defender and Avira, which came free with the laptop.
So far so good.... using common sense too!!

... !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss