Best capture mode on Lumia Camera

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone!
I've been using for a while the Lumia 930 and it really is an awesome phone. However, I've been wondering about something. In the main camera capture mode settings there are three options: JPEG (5MP), JPEG(5 MP + 16 MP) and JPEG(5MP) + DNG(16MP).
You see I want the highest quality as possible, so which of these three options is the best?
(Well, it's kind of obvious that the first one isn't,but what about the other two?)

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That just depends. The RAW format (DNG) is definitely the highest quality available. It allows you to work on these images using Photoshop or the like without losing too much quality. They do take up more storage space though. If you don't plan to edit your photos afterwards, just watch them on your phone, computer or TV, the high resolution JPG mode should be fine. In comparison to the RAW image, it's compressed, but just a little bit to keep the file size smaller. The compression level is by far not as high as when shooting with the 5MP mode.

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Well, 99% of my photos are left completely unedited, so I guess I don't really need the RAW format, especially since the high resolution JPG is almost as good as the RAW format. Thanks for answering!

Diwagar

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
JPEG 5MP is not exactly what you think it is when we are talking a lumia camera with pureview technology. They are the best 5MP you can get in the world. It is made with pixel overlapping technology and not a simple cropped smaller pixels like other cameras. So if you are not planning to edit photos, then best option for you would be JPEG(5 MP + 16 MP) where you will get the original full pixel picutre of 16MP as well as the pixel overlapped 5MP. For sharing this 5MP would look much better than the original sized picture. also since your aspect ratio is set to 16:9 you are getting only 16MP. change it to 4:3 if you want a 19MP picture instead

KllR007

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
4:3
when i want 16:9 i will crop it myself...

So from 4:3 you can have 16:9, but from 16:9 you cant have full frame 4:3 :D

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb