Best hi-res audio streaming and casting

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Now that Amazon is offering hi-res audio streaming - i.e. audio files that are CD quality or better - I am wondering if there are any other Windows Central folks tracking Android phones and PC hardware and apps that can handle hi-res FLAC streaming and casting.

I wish Microsoft was doing more to integrate casting to DLNA digital media devices (i.e. my new speakers) and Chromecast devices into the OS, Edge, and Groove.

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the link. The LS50W speakers mentioned in the article are what has got me onto Hi-Res Audio. Can't believe the difference switching from mp3 to FLAC files.

But the lack of streaming / casting connectivity built into Windows / Edge / Groove is frustrating. Windows will connect to my old TV but not to my new speakers.

HRA streaming / casting (and the related need for on-device storage) is now on my list of must-have features for any new Android phone.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the link. The LS50W speakers mentioned in the article are what has got me onto Hi-Res Audio. Can't believe the difference switching from mp3 to FLAC files.

But the lack of streaming / casting connectivity built into Windows / Edge / Groove is frustrating. Windows will connect to my old TV but not to my new speakers.

HRA streaming / casting (and the related need for on-device storage) is now on my list of must-have features for any new Android phone.

Surely you can get apps for Windows that support hi-res audio, even if Windows 10 doesn't do it natively? Phones that support it may be expensive to start off with. I believe that both Tidal and Amazon Music support FLAC streaming right now too.

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Surely you can get apps for Windows that support hi-res audio, even if Windows 10 doesn't do it natively? Phones that support it may be expensive to start off with. I believe that both Tidal and Amazon Music support FLAC streaming right now too.

Yes there are apps, but I expected that Windows 10 itself with recognize my speakers as audio playback devices - and it doesn't. The speakers are properly connected to my home Wi-Fi network and identified as "Digital media devices" by W10, but W10 will not stream or cast to them.

The biggest hassle is that I have albums ripped from CDs that are no longer available, and it is difficult to find apps that will easily play them without W10 recognizing my speakers as audio playback outputs.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes there are apps, but I expected that Windows 10 itself with recognize my speakers as audio playback devices - and it doesn't. The speakers are properly connected to my home Wi-Fi network and identified as "Digital media devices" by W10, but W10 will not stream or cast to them.

The biggest hassle is that I have albums ripped from CDs that are no longer available, and it is difficult to find apps that will easily play them without W10 recognizing my speakers as audio playback outputs.

Could this not be a driver issue? Did you install the latest drivers for your speakers from the manufacturers website?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The Neutron player is available for Windows 10 too. If you can get past the ui/ux it does well with hi-res audio. I only wish and hope power Amp comes to Windows some day.

As far as dlna or streaming directly to your hi-fi speakers over Wi-Fi , I am uncertain what steps you'd need for 3rd party players. I'm sure they are mostly the same steps. I've never needed to use dlna for audio streaming yet.

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think my overall "feature suggestion" still stands, that Microsoft needs to do a much better job of expanding and integrating streaming / casting options into W10 so that apps can natively "see" the whole variety of Google, Amazon, Apple, Sonos, DLNA devices, etc. etc. that are out there.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think my overall "feature suggestion" still stands, that Microsoft needs to do a much better job of expanding and integrating streaming / casting options into W10 so that apps can natively "see" the whole variety of Google, Amazon, Apple, Sonos, DLNA devices, etc. etc. that are out there.

I have to agree that Windows has to do more natively for this. However, seeing as MS may consider it still a niche market, it may take a long time.

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree that Windows has to do more natively for this. However, seeing as MS may consider it still a niche market, it may take a long time.

I agree. Though I think the issue is more that it is a "home / consumer" market and not a "niche" market, i.e. not an "enterprise" market. Microsoft has an advantage in the enterprise market; but just as they missed the importance of cell phones; I think they are missing the rather obvious reality that all those business users also live in homes and have families and are consumers of "consumer" software and services.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I agree. Though I think the issue is more that it is a "home / consumer" market and not a "niche" market, i.e. not an "enterprise" market. Microsoft has an advantage in the enterprise market; but just as they missed the importance of cell phones; I think they are missing the rather obvious reality that all those business users also live in homes and have families and are consumers of "consumer" software and services.

You never know. MS might be working on Surface audio hardware that supports it. That'd be nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss