Best smartwatch for Surface Duo/Android

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Hello there, I’m opening up my Surface Duo later today, coming from an Apple Phone/iWatch ecosystem, which I’ll have to give up since the iWatch isn’t compatible with Android. I’m looking to replace it with an Android-compatible smartwatch that complements my Surface Duo, and specifically I’m looking for it to have feature parity with all the things my iWatch did for me, including: contactless payment, sleep tracking, activity monitoring specifically running and maybe swimming, text notifications and replying, weather conditions and forecast, and an attractive svelte look and screen dimensions like that of the iWatch.

Does such a product exist? Any other Apple Phone transplants with the same dilemma?

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
forget apple and samsung watches. your best bet will be any google wear os smartwatch so you can use google pay. however you will be limited as to which mobile payment system you can use since the phone does not have nfc and will have to rely on the watch. for example, you will not be able to use any mobile payment system that requires you to scan a code.

you know why apple will not work but since samsung uses their own os on their smartwatchs, a lot of watch features will not work or sync with non-samsung devices.

jrcast84

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
You can use Samsung smart watch which does everything you said. Even if it runs Tizen OS, it will stil work. There are some apps and plugs in to install, but works great.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'd say Galaxy Watch 3 or Galaxy Active 2 are your best bets. Fitbit Sense if you're an athlete type. Garmin is good if you're a hardcore runner/cycler. But if you're looking for all around smart watch, i'd say Galaxy Watch 3 or Galaxy Active 2.

SnakePlisskin

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
Been using Galaxy Active 2 with mine. Works good. Only thing I dislike is all the servies that have to be installed and how samsung requires you to sign into a samsung account to get messages. Which I can only assume is so they can send / deliver from the cloud. Shouldn't have to be like that. But overall good watch.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a Moto 360 (2020) because I like the way WearOS handles notifications and using the Google Assistant to initiate calls without having to touch the phone. I've used Google Pay many times already without issue. I'm waiting on the Fitbit Sense to drop next week to see how much better it is compared to my Versa 2. I prefer Fitbits for their app, health monitoring and sleep tracking but their lack of Bluetooth 5.0 keeps me away. Go more than 20' away and it drops the connection. I have a Galaxy Active Watch2 still paired to a OnePlus 8 because it has the blood pressure hack and if I use it on the Duo I have to start completely from scratch. It's not a difficult process, it just takes some time and I'm still in the test-drive phase with the Duo not to mention Bixby is a s**tstorm compared to Google Assistant. The dual screen is a game changer and any other phone with this many niggling bugs would have been sent back by now. The bugs are an irritant, they don't make the device unusable. But we're talking $1,400 here so that's a consideration.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a Moto 360 (2020) because I like the way WearOS handles notifications and using the Google Assistant to initiate calls without having to touch the phone. I've used Google Pay many times already without issue. I'm waiting on the Fitbit Sense to drop next week to see how much better it is compared to my Versa 2. I prefer Fitbits for their app, health monitoring and sleep tracking but their lack of Bluetooth 5.0 keeps me away. Go more than 20' away and it drops the connection. I have a Galaxy Active Watch2 still paired to a OnePlus 8 because it has the blood pressure hack and if I use it on the Duo I have to start completely from scratch. It's not a difficult process, it just takes some time and I'm still in the test-drive phase with the Duo not to mention Bixby is a s**tstorm compared to Google Assistant. The dual screen is a game changer and any other phone with this many niggling bugs would have been sent back by now. The bugs are an irritant, they don't make the device unusable. But we're talking $1,400 here so that's a consideration.

What are your thoughts on Moto 360 vs. Galaxy Active 2?

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm leaning more towards the Galaxy Active 2 because of downloadable Spotify. I never used that on the Apple Phone but I think I would like to use it now, esp. since I don't think I want to take a dual-screen phone running. I didn't see anything of the Moto 360 supporting that.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
What are your thoughts on Moto 360 vs. Galaxy Active 2?
The Active2 is a clearly superior device with 2 limitations that affect my particular use scenario. First is Bixby - it couldn't pick the winner of a one-horse race and I'll leave it at that. Second and equally important is the number of battery-hogging plug-ins and services required. There's the Galaxy Wearable app, Watch Active Plug-In and Samsung Accessory Service. That's just to get the watch going, if you want to track your health you need Samsung Health and if you want to pay from your wrist you need the Samsung Pay Plug-In installed on the phone. Your phone will suffer a hit on battery life using a Samsung, no two ways about it. As I said though, it's leagues better than any WearOS watch except for notifications. Particularly battery life, only Fitbit is better.

The Moto is drop-dead gorgeous and has a decidedly brighter display (no more flat tire either). Battery life has improved greatly on WearOS and especially on the Fossil Gen 5 series. My Moto drains at a rate of about 5% per hour which is a quantum leap compared to older watches. Do not even think about getting a WearOS watch with less than 1GB of RAM or you will convert it into a small projectile. The fit and finish is top shelf and the charger has the strongest magnet out there - you won't misalign it like you could with an Apple Watch or a Galaxy.

Each has its strengths and weaknesses, only you can decide based on your needs. For use with the Duo, I prefer WearOS for better notifications, Google Assistant for hands free use and significantly less battery draw.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm leaning more towards the Galaxy Active 2 because of downloadable Spotify. I never used that on the Apple Phone but I think I would like to use it now, esp. since I don't think I want to take a dual-screen phone running. I didn't see anything of the Moto 360 supporting that.
Spotify came factory pre-loaded on my Moto. But you can also download it from the Play Store on the watch.

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Spotify came factory pre-loaded on my Moto. But you can also download it from the Play Store on the watch.

Does it do downloadable playlists on the watch? If so, that might be the tipping point. I do see your guys’ points about WearOS being superior to Tizen.

Oh if only Microsoft had kept the band...

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
the problem is the Wear OS is not even close to Tizen on the Samsung watches. And Samsung Pay is just as good, if not better. At least Samsung Pay supports MST (magnetic secure transmission). MST basically emulates the credit card process. So it works with almost every pay terminal out there that accepts a credit card swipe. I've used my Samsung S8, S10+ and S20 on really ancient CC machines and shocked POS attendants who thought their old equipment couldn't handle digital payments. Google Pay and Apple Pay only supports NFC payment which means the POS machine has to be upgraded to one that can handle NFC which is few and far between in the US. Unfortunately, only Samsung Phones support MST. Samsung watches only support NFC so they're in the same boat as Google and Apple watches.

I've moved my Samsung Galaxy Watch from my S20 phone to my Surface Duo and it has almost all of the same benefits as the S20. Notifications to my S20 are faster though and it's more seamless process. Samsung's Galaxy Store app is built into Samsung phones and isn't available for download to non-Samsung phones. But you can still access the Galaxy Store through the web browser. Right now, Samsung watches are the best Android watches. At least until Google makes a real commitment to Wear OS.

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
the problem is the Wear OS is not even close to Tizen on the Samsung watches. And Samsung Pay is just as good, if not better. At least Samsung Pay supports MST (magnetic secure transmission). MST basically emulates the credit card process. So it works with almost every pay terminal out there that accepts a credit card swipe. I've used my Samsung S8, S10+ and S20 on really ancient CC machines and shocked POS attendants who thought their old equipment couldn't handle digital payments. Google Pay and Apple Pay only supports NFC payment which means the POS machine has to be upgraded to one that can handle NFC which is few and far between in the US. Unfortunately, only Samsung Phones support MST. Samsung watches only support NFC so they're in the same boat as Google and Apple watches.

I've moved my Samsung Galaxy Watch from my S20 phone to my Surface Duo and it has almost all of the same benefits as the S20. Notifications to my S20 are faster though and it's more seamless process. Samsung's Galaxy Store app is built into Samsung phones and isn't available for download to non-Samsung phones. But you can still access the Galaxy Store through the web browser. Right now, Samsung watches are the best Android watches. At least until Google makes a real commitment to Wear OS.

one correction, samsung gear s3 supported mst. I do agree that samsung watches are the best android watches. but when pairing with non samsung phones, as I said in a previous post it would be better to use a wear os watch. you should be able to find all the apps you need for all the features on wear watches in the play store at this time. Now if the user dopn't plan to use all the fitness features then yes, get a samsung watch for a non samsung phone.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Personally I'm a fan of the Versa 2, as it will sync with everything you can throw at it. (So you can have the app on your computer, your phone, your various tablets, your spare iPhone, etc.) The battery life with the "always on" screen running is insanely good, though I do have that set to turn off at night so it's not glowing at me in the middle of the night. I get about 3-4 days out of it if I stick it right on the charger as it goes into battery saver mode. If I run it down entirely I can get up to 5. It also handles NFC payment systems, though it did take a while before my bank supported it. (I got this thing about a year ago and it works fine now.) And if you like the "look" of the apple watch, well, it's nice and square. ;)

If you don't mind going "round" I'd go with the Samsungs.

You know, it's really too bad that the pebbles have gone the way of the dodo. I really do miss them.

Also, a semi-strange suggestion. (At least for women, because I can't see a guy wearing these....) "Smart Jewelry". While not a "smart watch", you can buy bracelets, rings, or other jewelry that will buzz discreetly when you get a notification. I remember the old Ringly devices getting sold as "only getting the notifications you care about". The way I see it, if you're going out of your way to buy a duo, the phone that you slap shut when you don't want to be bothered, then this actually might make more sense than a smartwatch. You still get the pedometer functions and all that. Just...without a screen.

But that's just an idea.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Finally got around to setting up my Galaxy Watch Active2 on the Duo. Sucks that the Tizen 5 update knocked out the blood pressure app hack but I was able to enable the ECG function via this XDA tutorial. It works perfectly and as always, follow the instructions to the tee and you'll have a functioning feature not currently available on non-Galaxy phones.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sm...3/enable-ecgbp-featur-samsung-phones-t4168567

Surface-Duo-fan

Oct 10, 2021
Visit site
The last post in this forum is a year ago, it is now October 2021. The information in this post doesn't address this issue: The Samsung Watch 4 is not compatible with the Surface Duo. In fact, the Samsung app itself, Galaxy Wearable, will start but does not get past the start screen. (That was after I also installed the Galaxy Watch4 Plugin.) I contacted Samsung tech support and they said that their watch and app are only compatible with Samsung devices. Could someone please recommend a smart watch that works with the Surface Duo?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've had problems with my Galaxy Watch Active2 and the Duo. Current weather never works on any of the watch faces. Backing up the watch data won't save the watch faces I've downloaded. The Galaxy store doesn't properly load. I can't get Samsung Pay to load and Bixby will stop giving voice responses. And this may be a bigger issue with how the Duo handles notifications, but I often how to manually clear notifications on the Duo even after I've read them on a different platform (e.g. reading email on my PC and then still having to clear it from the Duo's notification drop down). Every phone I have knows to automatically clear the notification if I read it somewhere else.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The last post in this forum is a year ago, it is now October 2021. The information in this post doesn't address this issue: The Samsung Watch 4 is not compatible with the Surface Duo. In fact, the Samsung app itself, Galaxy Wearable, will start but does not get past the start screen. (That was after I also installed the Galaxy Watch4 Plugin.) I contacted Samsung tech support and they said that their watch and app are only compatible with Samsung devices. Could someone please recommend a smart watch that works with the Surface Duo?
There is a newer version of the Wear app for the Watch 4 and it automatically installs the appropriate Plug-In afterward (don't use what's in the Play Store or any previous versions in your library). I used it without issue on my Duo but I eventually ditched it for a Fossil Gen 6 due to the horrible battery life I was getting with the Samsung. It still runs WearOS 2.0 but with most of the UI enhancements of 3.0.

brau0303

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I have used the Galaxy Watch 3 & 4 on the Duo 1 and am currently using the Galaxy Watch 3 with my Duo 2. I have had no issues that could not be resolved. Is it the best, that's purely subjective (what works you you is 100% relevant)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre