Beta testers needed!

Andre o Botelho

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Develop for wp is so complicated that even to test a app you need to hunt people because normal people can't do it. : )
@Ron, What is your app, if it is useful to me I can test, but I dont have time to test a app if is just test( games, web content, social, etc) because a deep test is possible only with continuous usage, except if it is just to let it open on the background : ). my Lumia is 620.

Ron Gramann

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi Andre, sorry for the delay in responding. My app is now through beta and has been submitted to the store. Its called Huffy, an unofficial Huffington Post Reader.

Ron Gramann

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
You know, Andre. Your post got me thinking about this whole area of beta testing...

I would not characterise WP development as complicated, though it depends on the nature of the app. For sure there are a lot of scenarios to consider when testing a WP app. Getting volunteers to participate in the beta testing appears to be inconsistent. I think the type of app has a lot to do with it. I would like to see a panel of developers and/or mobile professionals that serve as beta testers (part-time); a wide range of testers and devices. For first-time developers this could be a free service, a cursory run through of the app (10-15 min smoke test), noting crashes or performance issues, done on an as-available basis. More formalised testing could be done for a nominal fee. For my app, I would have loved to receive a detailed performance and usability report citing issues and problems on a variety of devices. If the price was right I would pay for it.

Anyway...just a thought.

WesternLights

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm a bit confused. Are people saying that allowing people to beta test an app is complicated on wp? Because I think it's very easy. You publish your app on the store and declare it as beta, then people who you declare to be a beta tester can download the app for free with a normal, non-dev unlocked phone. I find that very convenient actually.

Roman Ekaterininsky

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Publication in store lasts couple of days with a chance to the app be declined. Beta testing allows you to publish your app with a list of 50-100 emails (Microsoft Accounts) of your "friends"/testers and publication is fast, no dev unlock needed for the testers phones. But only the mates whose added to that accounts list will get beta app. Beta app is always free and beta lasts 90 days, like the most trial client Microsoft products. More here.

WesternLights

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Just to add that the number of testers is now in the thousands, and that there's pretty much no validation for beta apps so it takes about half hour. Last I published was last week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luiandovaf