Biggest Concern - Windows 10 Mobile

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
So many things that were in 8, are missing in 10 (ability to pin contacts to the home screen, etc). The length of time it takes to get updates pushed to us, most of us won't see improvements unless we buy a new device. I'd update to 10 now but again, I cant see being without many of these things unless I dump $600.

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I have two issues that I want MS to sort out
1 I want to be able to change LABELS on contacts, those mobile 1 etc
2 OneDrive must have an option to set a pin to open it.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

You can set it so that it requires you to enter your password each time you open the app. Look under settings.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Must have been added. Heard a few times you couldn't.

So Mission...you "heard" a rumor and decided to open a thread saying WIN10 Mobile is a big concern? You started bashing without verifying for yourself? Do you have WIN 10 Mobile installed, or are you simply "hearing" complaints from the uninformed and commenting on it?

I personally believe MS made a mistake releasing this software to the public in preview form. Because of this thread (and many, many others like it) people complain CONSTANTLY about preview software and it is giving Mobile a bad rap. Word of mouth (now enhanced with social media) travels much faster than the expert reviews that can look at it for what it is - Preview Software. Posts such as this do nothing good for making the platform better.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So many things that were in 8, are missing in 10 (ability to pin contacts to the home screen, etc). The length of time it takes to get updates pushed to us, most of us won't see improvements unless we buy a new device. I'd update to 10 now but again, I cant see being without many of these things unless I dump $600.

Yes, as shown above, you can pin contacts to the start screen
We've had far more regular updates with Windows 10 Mobile than we ever had with Windows Phone 8.x

With Windows Phone 8.x, you'd need a whole OS upgrade to upgrade Office Apps, Messaging, and the other core apps. These days, they're just App updates that happen so frequently that I tire of reading about them on the Windows Central front page.

OS Updates for Windows Phone 8.x used to involve months of testing with different carrier/region variations. It's immeasurably faster with Windows Phone 10. It's impossible to measure how slowly updates for existing devices will be until updates are announced, so I don't see how you're using that as an argument here.

If these are you biggest concerns, you should be really really happy.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I personally believe MS made a mistake releasing this software to the public in preview form. Because of this thread (and many, many others like it) people complain CONSTANTLY about preview software and it is giving Mobile a bad rap. Word of mouth (now enhanced with social media) travels much faster than the expert reviews that can look at it for what it is - Preview Software. Posts such as this do nothing good for making the platform better.

Windows 10 Mobile wouldn't be as good as it is without the Insider Program and allowing anyone who wants to join it and contribute. Without Windows Insider, Microsoft would have locked itself into a basement room and delivered whatever it thought was good enough and told us to be happy with it (like in the olden days).

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Pete, let me be more clear. I should have elaborated more, but while the Insider Program is good and customer feedback is also good, having it open to everyone is not the best practice. How many people actually have given feedback to MS? How many people jump the gun and complain about something publically and realize later they made a mistake (uninformed). Did they make good in a later thread admitting their fault and misunderstanding and then praise the OS? I doubt that very much.

I honestly believe the latter outweighs the previous. This is what is damning to the platform. Public opinion is much bigger today with social media. A news agency that does not follow these (or any other) forums hears a snippet from a "friend" and then includes it in their article, usually as the title of the article. Uninformed again.

Again, while I do believe the Insider is a good program, I think MS should have toned it down a bit. Just sayin...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft do take a balanced approach to reviewing the feedback items. Every item they look at is analysed with various use cases and weighed against the overriding architecture and design philosophy before being worked on. Basically, they'll only work on things if they're appropriate and acceptable. Yes, there's a lot of noise in the feedback, but their reporting tools have logic to cut that down in a manageable way (bit like a spam filter does).

I'm pretty sure if Microsoft found there too much noise to be useful, they would have found a way of reducing the number of people joining the Insider program. The fact that they didn't indicates they feel the feedback is useful.

It's also great on a customer relations front as well in allowing users to collaborate and contribute to the building of Windows.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Pete, with all due respect read what I typed. I'm not talking about people that DO provide feedback. I am referring to the many more that DO NOT provide feedback to MS. Those people bash the OS in public and are often misinformed before they bash. This is the hurtful media I am referring to.

To me, there are just too many people that are simply using something they do not understand and then complaining that it doesn't work. Not intentions that MS was looking for.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry if I misunderstood you.

I'm not sure that much can be done about the people who ceaselessly rant about things without contributing in a sensible manner to the feedback app. Microsoft obviously won't trawl around on forums looking for things that get complained about (they do a little, but not in a dedicated way). If (as an MVP), I wanted to escalate a users issue to Microsoft, I have to supply numbers and prove that a reasonable amount of people have the same issue and that the normal support avenues have not resolved the issue. Now, we advise people to use the Feedback app to supply bug/feature requests.

The alternative is that Microsoft works on something in secret and release to the world and then sits back while the same (and more) people will complain (just the same as how there were complaints all through Windows Phone 7 and 8).

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm with you, trust me. They (MS) are obviously trying something new and for us that are interested and understand that, I think it holds some promise. On the flipside, as a regular user of these forums and someone that does like to research it is frustrating to see uninformed people rant either on purpose (trolls), or just because that is how some people are. Complain first for something just received for free, then have the ho-hum attitude after figuring it out.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is doing something with Windows 10 Mobile that I've never seen in the 23 years I've owned cell phones. After every update I get a text asking how I liked the newest update and I'm given a chance to provide feedback. If users discard the message then we're left to blame no one but ourselves for what Microsoft puts out. That's my $.02 for this topic.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

yeah I remember changing labels on contacts on my Nokia N8, then I noticed couldn't do with my Lumia 1020

Panos Athanasiou

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I can pin Contacts to the home screen and setting xD.
the updates are not much different from my 8,1 phone i can't say i own it only for 6 months :3
i didn't need to buy a new device since my lumia 535 works like a charm and much better than it did with 8.1 :3

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone figured out how to add words for the keyboard word suggestions????

The dang thing is missing so many words and I cannot figure out how to add them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb