bing/cortana search is broken on my phone

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
when try to search for something as usual: one click on the search button, Cortana opens, then type something, use the arrow or the web search touch button; Cortana closes itself! I did two soft resets, (long pressing the power button, that's what it does right?) Same behavior. web search suggestions are working fine. whenever I click on one of them it closes itself. Anyone else having this problem? I think it just started today.

I have unlocked 950/dual-sim/usa/ build xx.29 / no firmware upgrade.

happens both on wifi and lte. I tested the internet connection on both.

when I open edge and do the search in the address line it works, opens bings for the search phrase. Am I going crazy or what? This used to work right?

Tim Maggi

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
also has just started for me. that is what brought me here now. voice works fine but if i type to search it closes itself out. really disappointed with this phone thus far. die hard windows user and seems to be problem after problem. first it took 3 hard resets to fix my battery and now this crap out of nowhere. hopefully an update will fix this quickly.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
what fixed it for me on three phones with W10M (640, 640XL and 920) was to disable location under quick setting, search something, then enable it again. Hasn't crashed since then.
cheers

Last edited:

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 950 crashes Cortana when and only when I type 'Lumia' or any of the letters leading up to that word. But anything else works as intended. I beleive it's related to a botched uninstall of Lumia Help & Tips though.

My Lumia 920 on 8.1 does not crash on any terms I've discovered so far.

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
months later, updates later, still the same problem happening :/ I'm not sure if it is related but the lock screen is consuming %20 of the batter.

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Just installed, 10586.318. Still the same problem. So annoying that you write a long search phrase and cortana closes itself. All your writing is gone, you have to type again.

Keyboard issue still persist. Sometimes, after the first word it doesn't register any words. you have to pull down the keyboard and pull up again, only to be able to write another word. I keep on doing this to write a simple sentence. It basically quadruples the writing time.

I have a feeling both problems are related to intermittent internet connection. T-mobile is shaky, and lumia wi-fi has problems too. I don't have proof but that's my gut feeling. And I still can't believe not a lot of people report these issues. I don't have a lot of third party apps. I'm a pretty standard user, no insider builds or anything. Did a fresh install when I first got the phone (didn't migrate data from win. 8.1)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel