Black Update - Any Issues?

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I always wait a few days after an update to see if issues develop, just in case [don't want to end up :unhappysweat:] so did anyone who already updated on ATT face any issues or bugs or have any advice on updating? thanks.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
A couple 3rd party Apps I use are a bit glitchier, but beyond that I can't really tell anything changed except the new features.

Seems basically all good here.

Dxe316

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I have the Update 3 + Black Update and i would recommend staying away from it.
My camera, both built in & nokias, take awful pictures now. It will not focus properly and when I used to open the camera app, the screen would auto-focus the subject, now it focus about 6 inches in front of it - no matter what.

Mantraxalos

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I highly recommend it. It has never taken such wonderful pictures. My battery life has slightly increased and the phone rarely becomes warm. I enjoy the black update.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I have the Update 3 + Black Update and i would recommend staying away from it.
My camera, both built in & nokias, take awful pictures now. It will not focus properly and when I used to open the camera app, the screen would auto-focus the subject, now it focus about 6 inches in front of it - no matter what.

I have none of what you listed. Try reinstalling the app, or remember to reset to full auto. you might have inadvertently set it to manual.

Totally recommending updating. get raw camera files, better jpg processing, Bluetooth 4, and notifications on glance mode.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
If there were any real issues with this update, it would be all over the forums. Remember, the people with issues are usually the most outspoken. There is hardly any talk of issues, at all. There's always going to be a few here or there, with any update though. Usually a wipe will fix it, as annoying as that is.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Gosh. Are we going to do a phone reset on every updates Nokia / MS pushing out going forward? If MS offers backup of data and app installation to SkyDrive or something, and the phone will just reinstall the apps and saved info after each reset, I will not mind doing that. Did Nokia / MS make patches without considering that users are not suppose to do phone reset?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Gosh. Are we going to do a phone reset on every updates Nokia / MS pushing out going forward? If MS offers backup of data and app installation to SkyDrive or something, and the phone will just reinstall the apps and saved info after each reset, I will not mind doing that. Did Nokia / MS make patches without considering that users are not suppose to do phone reset?

I'm not sure why you think the occasional bug from an update is limited to Nokia/WP...

As annoying as it is, I actually believe its good practice to wipe your phone after a major update, regardless. Especially if you are one to update Apps endlessly without removing and reinstalling a new version. However, if you're a big gamer, I can see how this is infeasible.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why you think the occasional bug from an update is limited to Nokia/WP...

As annoying as it is, I actually believe its good practice to wipe your phone after a major update, regardless. Especially if you are one to update Apps endlessly without removing and reinstalling a new version. However, if you're a big gamer, I can see how this is infeasible.

The problem is, this is not a "major" update. I did the wipe for GDR1 and GDR2, and now even for GDR3? If it is a 8.1, I can understand. Is not only gamers who are affected. What about photos, music playlists, saved states of apps which you are frequently using, ie bookmarks of ebooks, browser bookmarks, Whatsapp backup files, etc etc all gone? I'm not interested if it is only a Nokia / MS problem or other platforms as well, but this shouldn't be happening regardless of platform. How can this even be a good practice?? If MS really want to make this into a practice, at the very least, provide us the consumers a easy way to backup everything and restoring them. What's the use of having SkyDrive if the platform is not going to utilize it?

Last edited:

niel27

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
There are no issues with Black update whatsoever; be it battery life or wifi. If you do not update on time, you will be using an inferior 1020 camera because the update is just amazing. People need to stop complaining and give some deserved credit to Nokia to update the camera image quality even further. Yes Microsoft is slow but remember they got us Nokia. We have unmatched imaging capabilities with windows phone. Wp8 is very very stable and fluid at 300mb space left.

niel27

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
The problem is, this is not a "major" update. I did the wipe for GDR1 and GDR2, and now even for GDR3? If it is a 8.1, I can understand. Is not only gamers who are affected. What about photos, music, saved states of apps which you are frequently using, ie all the bookmarks of my ebooks are gone, browser bookmarks, Whatsapp backup files, etc etc? I'm not interested if it is only a Nokia / MS problem or other platforms as well, but this shouldn't be happening regardless of platform. How can this even be a good practice?? If MS really want to make this into a practice, at the very least, provide us the consumers a easy way to backup everything and restoring them. What's the use of having SkyDrive if the platform is not going to utilize it?

I understand your pain about restoring dataa/apps. I miss that coming from iOS. These kind of updates do not come in firmware upgrades. Please have patience for 8.1. For now, you buy those apps which give you backup functions.
Ps. I never needed to wipe my phone for firmware updates.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
There are no issues with Black update whatsoever; be it battery life or wifi. If you do not update on time, you will be using an inferior 1020 camera because the update is just amazing. People need to stop complaining and give some deserved credit to Nokia to update the camera image quality even further. Yes Microsoft is slow but remember they got us Nokia. We have unmatched imaging capabilities with windows phone. Wp8 is very very stable and fluid at 300mb space left.

Any before and after photos for us to compare with? From what I read from AAWP, the noise reduction actually soften the images as well.

Exploring the imaging improvements in Nokia Black for the Lumia 1020

Is not that want to complain, but some of us here really face drawbacks after updating. You need to understand that updates are supposed to be making the device even better, not worse. And since MS is now taking over Nokia for its windows phone development, we are still not sure if MS going to focus on the imaging capabilities anymore, like Nokia did.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm not really sure where this is going. You'd be better off trying to communicate with MS or Nokia directly, if you have an issue. Like already pointed out, there is an extreme minority that have issues from updating, which is common when working with software. Also, forget this was an 8.0 to 8.0 update, there were alot of files changed in the OS, features added and firmware changes. This IS a major update.

Not really sure what to make of that comparison. He gave a thorough review, however how can we make a fair assessment when we are pixel peeping and he's comparing shots taken handheld?? Detail and focus comparisons pretty much go out the window right there. I mean, just look at that Christmas tree shot. He clearly didn't get the exact same spot in focus. Kinda defeats the purpose of the shot.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
The problem is, this is not a "major" update. I did the wipe for GDR1 and GDR2, and now even for GDR3? If it is a 8.1, I can understand. Is not only gamers who are affected. What about photos, music playlists, saved states of apps which you are frequently using, ie bookmarks of ebooks, browser bookmarks, Whatsapp backup files, etc etc all gone? I'm not interested if it is only a Nokia / MS problem or other platforms as well, but this shouldn't be happening regardless of platform. How can this even be a good practice?? If MS really want to make this into a practice, at the very least, provide us the consumers a easy way to backup everything and restoring them. What's the use of having SkyDrive if the platform is not going to utilize it?

At least ur not stuck with a fried WiFi and Bluetooth like iPhones and ending up paying the repair yourself. this happened to my brother in law too.
Apple’s iOS 6.1.3 Update Can Knock Out Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Cost You $200 to Fix | TIME.com

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb