BlackBerry to WP8

araskin

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Greetings from the Crackberry nation. I am a long time BlackBerry user and a mobile app developer. So while I wait for my new Limited Edition Blackberry Z10 to arrive (a gift from BlackBerry for having a BB10 app at launch) I dug through my drawer of phones and stumbled upon a new Lumia 810 which was collecting dust. Anyway I am now on day 3 and overall I am impressed. The OS is very snappy. The Nokia apps are fantast ic in particular Nokia Drive. The app selection isn't amazing but as a BB user I am used to that. Definitely nice to have Skype which is something we are still waiting for on the new BB10 platform (its been announced, just not yet released). Spotify too is missing on BB10 and it's great to have it on WP8. As a heavy email/calendar user I am not enamored with the email and calendar implementation but it's certainly adequate.

I do have a question though and it relates to the Back button. It doesn't seem to behave the way I expect it to. For example, in the browser the back button will take me to the previous Page but sometimes it will take me out to the home screen. Am I doing something wrong? Likewise in Spotify, I will navigate to a playlist and hit a song to play. Once the song I'd playing how do I get back to the playlist. I am sure it's just my inexperience with the platform.

Anyway, I am glad to be a WP user even though it's only for a short while.
Alon

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral! Glad to heasr you're enjoying your WP. The back button isn't consistent in operation, but after some use you will get the hang of what it does in most situations.

inside man 55

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Greetings...if you navigate multiple times back will take you to the previous page. If it is the first page it will take you out to the home screen.

Can't speak about Spotify. Glad you are enjoying wp7.

And take a look at Chronos Calendar, huge upgrade on stock app.

araskin

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Greetings...if you navigate multiple times back will take you to the previous page. If it is the first page it will take you out to the home screen.

Can't speak about Spotify. Glad you are enjoying wp7.

And take a look at Chronos Calendar, huge upgrade on stock app.

thanks for pointing out Chronos. My understanding is that it does not support Exchange which is the only calendar I use.

inside man 55

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
No problem, not sure I follow, I am linked to a live.com account now inside the Chrono app, and live.com should be setup to allow exchange ActiveSync. I must be missing something.

fiveodano

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Phone, I can understand your love for BB10, it reminds me a lot of WebOS

I may pick up a Q10 as a business phone, I would live to have a keyboard again. The keyboard/touchscreen combo was really nice on WebOS

However, I have an HTC 8X as my primary phone and I love the integration with Office 365/SkyDrive/WP8

Have you noticed that if you hold the back button down it opens the app switcher?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
That's one of the beauties of the OS, no need to "kill" those apps that are suspended. They will not drain any resources. Depending on the app you can have up to about 6-7 suspended apps. After that when you open say #8, the oldest one will be removed from the suspended apps area.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
@araskin
One of the nice features that I miss from the BB browser is that press & hold the back button giving you the option to completely close the browser. On WP8's browser, I find it easier to tap menu (3 dots on lower right) go to "tabs", close tabs and then press back button to start screen. Works out better than pressing back button a hundred times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria