Blinking Start (middle) button for notifications?

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It should also have a fog machine and lasers so every time you get a message from your girlfriend, room fills up with smoke and red lasers.

li-hui-v-2011-size-variable-laser-panels-steel-mirror-fog-machines-burger.png

When you get one frmo your boss, it's black smoke and when one from your gay bud, it's cyan.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Not a bad idea. I'd also like to see the ability to disable or lock them easily, as they are easy to accidently hit depending on what phone you have.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I replaced my touchscreen. I am pretty sure all 3 buttons are on the same circuit. They all come go on or off at the same time. Now if they were separate, I would like this idea with the adjustable time that it blinked.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's a good idea. One problem i see is just the OS structure. While Microsoft could give us hooks into notifications, with the lack of multitasking you'll never see amazing notification programs like Light Flow.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Not possible. I'm surprised so many members here don't know what can and can't be done by devs...

This would have to be implemented by Microsoft.

But I don't even know that this is possible given the hardware: since the buttons are part of the digitizer, if the LEDs are on the same control circuit then the screen would have to be on for this to work. Which is not an option.

Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

d_abbatelli

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Not possible. I'm surprised so many members here don't know what can and can't be done by devs...

This would have to be implemented by Microsoft.

But I don't even know that this is possible given the hardware: since the buttons are part of the digitizer, if the LEDs are on the same control circuit then the screen would have to be on for this to work. Which is not an option.

Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

I have to agree... Nevertheless, it is a great idea and it worked great on old symbians.
While this is probably not possible with the current hardware, nothing prevents MS from putting something like this in the guidelines for future smartphones.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree... Nevertheless, it is a great idea and it worked great on old symbians.
While this is probably not possible with the current hardware, nothing prevents MS from putting something like this in the guidelines for future smartphones.

And what constitutes a notification? That's the big problem and this is why they probably didn't release a notification center. To run more usability tests to see how the people use their windows phones. An email is a notification but when? When received in the phone app or in a third party email app? A sms is a notification but how about my whatsapp im message is it also a notification? Microsoft apps mostly never did stuff that 3rd party apps could not do(desktop side or Modern ui stuff: wp8 w8). And if they would do they would surly be bashed.

So making a light blink on all notifications will only invite spam. Look at all the android games and apps that spam your notification center. And opting out notifications is something that no one is sure that is easy enough and usable enough for new users. So you could get this selected behaiviour for only select oem apps(phone, mail, sms) and this will create a storm :)

The notification center problem will be sorted by the microsoft and I'm sure it will be a beautiful solution. Look what they did with the gestures in windows 8 and how much usability tests they made just to understand how people use a product so they can make a good user experience.

d_abbatelli

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
And what constitutes a notification? That's the big problem and this is why they probably didn't release a notification center. To run more usability tests to see how the people use their windows phones. An email is a notification but when? When received in the phone app or in a third party email app? A sms is a notification but how about my whatsapp im message is it also a notification? Microsoft apps mostly never did stuff that 3rd party apps could not do(desktop side or Modern ui stuff: wp8 w8). And if they would do they would surly be bashed.

So making a light blink on all notifications will only invite spam. Look at all the android games and apps that spam your notification center. And opting out notifications is something that no one is sure that is easy enough and usable enough for new users. So you could get this selected behaiviour for only select oem apps(phone, mail, sms) and this will create a storm :)

The notification center problem will be sorted by the microsoft and I'm sure it will be a beautiful solution. Look what they did with the gestures in windows 8 and how much usability tests they made just to understand how people use a product so they can make a good user experience.

Honestly, I wouldn't be so optimistic and I don't think a notification center doesn't exist because "they want it to be perfect". Personally, I find that a solution similar to the "lock screen notification" would be perfect: only MS apps in there as default, but you can add more apps later.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I wouldn't be so optimistic and I don't think a notification center doesn't exist because "they want it to be perfect". Personally, I find that a solution similar to the "lock screen notification" would be perfect: only MS apps in there as default, but you can add more apps later.

I like your ideea. Led blinking on notifications for any app that has been pinned in the lock screen. This way you can easily decide what to is importand and about what to be alerted that has activity.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
it's an amazing idea, but like other members mentioned it's not possible. as far as i know, no company (including nokia) has access to the key light API. i'm not sure if it's in the same digitizer as the screen or not or what the deal is. i'm leaning more towards OS limitation (software) vs hardware. on the nokia blog someone asked if they can turn the lights off and nokia staff member said they couldn't because the os doesn't allow it.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand how anyone can miss any notification on WP8???

The whole OS is a notification centre. All these blinking LED and notification centre ideas are silly IMO. Just learn to use the phone properly.
If you want all that clutter, get an Android phone.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lorena783lopez