Broke the glass on my 920, options?

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
So my 920 slipped out of my hand last week, and helicoptered through the air, landing face down on the hardwood floor. While this things has been pretty durable, apparently this was too much, and I managed to shatter the front glass.

I talked to Nokia, and they said they don't repair physical damage at all to phones and that it voids the warranty. I've talked to a few people who've done this repair themselves, and it doesn't sound super fun.

Has anyone had their 920 front glass replaced, and who did you use? I'm looking for experiences and ballpark pricing. Prices seem to dropping on these, so I don't want to sink a couple hundred bucks or anything into this phone.

pantsaregood

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Replacing the glass itself is a bit irritating, but replacing the entire display construction isn't really very difficult. There are some disassembly videos on YouTube.

soloist_huaxin

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
just did this myself. I'll put it this way: you need crafty hands+time+most importantly, LUCK to get genuine parts from ebay to do this. I got the first two...

(Assuming you're in US) I'd say if it's still usable(i.e., you can read emails without having to scroll every second, touch works, doesn't leave you scars on face/finger when answering calls), just bear with it for a bit and get the 1520/1020 when you can. used 920s run $250ish on craigslist and "authorized" repair(yes, I got this from Nokia, they will refer you to this place in Alabama that fixes Lumia) will cost $162+$10(or $20) for screen repair.

K Rad

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Mine fell face flat onto a go-karting tarmac, so cracked at a corner, but touch works, thank God. Do you mean to say... Nokia doesn't repair even if you pay a lil extra money even if it isn't warranty covered? :O

NutmegState

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Mine fell face flat onto a go-karting tarmac, so cracked at a corner, but touch works, thank God. Do you mean to say... Nokia doesn't repair even if you pay a lil extra money even if it isn't warranty covered? :O

Nokia does no repairs and the outfit they recommended never bothers to answer emails or phone calls although they say they are "authorized" There is another place called MissionRepair They have chat, answer emails and you can reach them on the phone. However, they want $239.00 + Shipping but they say, if you break you screen a second time, it is free replacement except for shipping.

My screen spider webbed but is still usable. Everything functions great! I would have to wait until December 2014 to get a new phone with AT&T.

My thought is that eventually, the 920 will drop in price and be available on eBay and other places and the it will be cheaper to get a used phone than to pay for the repair and to offset the cost, you can sell the phone with the broken screen on eBay (amazingly, a lot of people do this) and make some money/

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I have used Palco in Huntsville, Al. They are quick and an authorized repair center. $162.00, but I was a walk-in, not sure what they charge with shipping. I am not sure about email, and the web page I tried to use back in Feb. was a mess but the number they called me from to tell me my phone was ready and I could pick it up was (256)883-3400.

I took my phone to them on Monday morning at 8:00 AM and they called me at 1:00PM to tell me I could come get it.

djburkes

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
It's not too hard to replace the glass+digitizer on your 920. I've replaced two. I ordered both from ETrade Supply|iPhone Parts|Cell Phone Parts|iPhone 4S Parts|iphone 5 parts|Mobile Phone Parts and had no problems with the parts. I also replaced a 1020 screen a few weeks ago. I had to replace glass+digitizer+LCD on that one. Just be sure to use black adhesive if you just replace the glass+digitizer to prevent light leakage. If you are the least bit technically inclined and can follow directions then you should be ok. There are several videos out there that give you step by step instructions on replacing the screen.

NutmegState

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I have seen the videos. The only issue I have read about is with the glass, you must basically take apart the entire phone. Once that is done, you need to seriously heat up the glass to get it off. The guy on the video had to use gloves. Once that is done, replacing the glass would seem easy but if you do not get the alignment correct, you will never get the thing back together again. I fixed my Samsung Focus myself and that was a much easier operation.

soloist_huaxin

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have seen the videos. The only issue I have read about is with the glass, you must basically take apart the entire phone. Once that is done, you need to seriously heat up the glass to get it off. The guy on the video had to use gloves. Once that is done, replacing the glass would seem easy but if you do not get the alignment correct, you will never get the thing back together again. I fixed my Samsung Focus myself and that was a much easier operation.

regarding heat: It's not that bad. I used a hair dryer for about 1 minute and it separates easily enough provided you have the tools(basically a guitar pick). And I didn't use a glove. It's warm, sure, but it's not scorching hot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss