Building my first computer, need some help

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
So I'm coming from a MacBook pro I've always bought computers and never have made them, but I think its time i should try it out, I heard its cheaper and you can get exactly what you want, since this is my first time, I thought I would ask the community for some pointers on making a computer I plan on having windows 8 on it and upgrading to 10 when it comes out, I'm a music producer I use ableton and vsts with it, I have an external soundcard (focusrite saphire 2i2) and I have 2 krk rokit 5s with it, I'm looking for specs that will work nicely with that sort of software, so if you have any tips or videos that will help me how to learn to build the computer than please do help, also I haven't really decided if I wanted a laptop or a desktop, I'm leaning towards desktop. Thanks

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
A pretty bold statement that I find incorrect. SSD's these days are excellent and reliable. Samsung, Intel, and a few other's make awesome SSD's.

Maybe they've had bad luck with SSD's? However I also agree with you. The OP will be very thankful once they use one. Got an Intel Cherryville that is almost 3 years old with over 12TB of writes. Still going strong in one of my systems.

Last edited:

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Sure enough but no point when a few dollars more and they can have Devil's Canyon. i7 4790k.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-4790...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2810105

Yeah, i7-4790K is a better choice. It seems that it costs practically the same as i7-4770K ...

About SSD / HDD or combination of them, there is no simple answer - SSD is faster, but more expensive per Gb. and I feel that that it has slightly higher failing risk (specially for a sudden failing) - anyway, either one can fail ...

Aaki171

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Since you are building a machine that's probably going to be handling lots of high quality audio files and working with them I would recommend you to go with 16 Gbs of RAM rather than 8.
As for the processor, go for the 4790 if its not much more expensive as compared to the 4770. Its slightly better but every bit counts.
As for the storage, I agree with the rest that you should use an SSD for your OS and programs while using an HDD for your files.
An SSD really speeds up the loading of all your programs.

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Since you are building a machine that's probably going to be handling lots of high quality audio files and working with them I would recommend you to go with 16 Gbs of RAM rather than 8.
As for the processor, go for the 4790 if its not much more expensive as compared to the 4770. Its slightly better but every bit counts.
As for the storage, I agree with the rest that you should use an SSD for your OS and programs while using an HDD for your files.
An SSD really speeds up the loading of all your programs.

Alright and how big should my ssd hard drive be? I'm gonna be loading on there ableton (around 4gbs, a bunch of vsts=about 20gbs more and the os) should I get like 150gbs?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Alright and how big should my ssd hard drive be? I'm gonna be loading on there ableton (around 4gbs, a bunch of vsts=about 20gbs more and the os) should I get like 150gbs?

If that's pretty much all you're going to do, then 128 GB should be more then sufficient. Obviously the more the better, but if you're not installing much more than that, then 128 GB (to the best of my knowledge, there is no 150 GB) should be more than enough.

Aaki171

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site

I would suggest you go for a 256 GB SSD then. That should be enough for your current programmes yet leave enough space for more.
As for the harddrive, 1 TB is the minimum you should go for.
If you want more help regarding this then tom's hardware has a very helpful and knowledgable forum who should be able to reccomend a perfect build for your needs.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree with trying to go to microcenter! Their prices are incredible and they have nice protection plans! Icing on the cake is that they can walk you through the stuff you need and help you build it right there in store!

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok well I saw a this Samsung 256 GB ssd for 150$ do you guys think Samsung is a good brand do ssd?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NB8WR...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2812420

Yes it is a great brand for SSDs and I don't normally say that for Samsung as they do like to go cheap on materials, but so far their build quality has been great.

I also sent you a PM if you want to check it.

Since I'm at work, just a quick look at a computer combo on sale for what you want to do.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 3.6GHz Quad-Core CPU, MSI Z97 MOBO, HyperX Fury 8GB MEM, WD Blue 1TB HDD, SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB SSD, RAIDMAX Hybrid 730W PSU, AZZA CSAZ-206S Case, https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...aspx%3FMsgCode%3D419%26ID%3D23&token=pFe224Dc

You'll need to add it to your cart to see the price, but it's on sale for $662.99.

3 of the parts also have a mail and rebate for a total of $40 though the Power Supply ends today.

Last edited:

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes it is a great brand for SSDs and I don't normally say that for Samsung as they do like to go cheap on materials, but so far their build quality has been great.

I also sent you a PM if you want to check it.

Since I'm at work, just a quick look at a computer combo on sale for what you want to do.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 3.6GHz Quad-Core CPU, MSI Z97 MOBO, HyperX Fury 8GB MEM, WD Blue 1TB HDD, SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB SSD, RAIDMAX Hybrid 730W PSU, AZZA CSAZ-206S Case, https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...aspx%3FMsgCode%3D419%26ID%3D17&token=ZLTgXU-p

You'll need to add it to your cart to see the price, but it's on sale for $662.99.

3 of the parts also have a mail and rebate for a total of $40 though the Power Supply ends today.

WHAT!?!?!"!that's like the exact specs we said and its only 663$??? Why so cheap and so this one comes pre built?

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I feel like its too good to be true, or most likely I'm missing one important thing^

Yeah, YOU need a monitor, to see something by that rig :p ...

Well, SSD is only 120 Gb, not 256 Gb and CPU is i7-4790, not i7-4790K (3.6 GHz vs. 4.0 GHz), but either one does not really matter (you have very good 1 Tb 7200 RPM HDD with that SSD) ....

Last edited:

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, YOU need a monitor, to see something by that rig :p ...

Well, SSD is only 120 Gb, not 256 Gb and CPU is i7-4790, not i7-4790K (3.6 GHz vs. 4.0 GHz), but either one does not really matter (you have very good 1 Tb 7200 RPM HDD with that SSD) ....

Well ya I knew I would still need a monitor but I was just thinking about the whole computer's price I was looking around yesterday and for all the separate components it would've cost around $1200

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well ya I knew I would still need a monitor but I was just thinking about the whole computer's price I was looking around yesterday and for all the separate components it would've cost around $1200

About a monitor, it was just a joke, maybe not so good one :)

I wrote YOU 2 days ago: "Honestly, I am not familiar with all that - maybe Kyle Stilkey can advice you, it seems that he knows (based on what he is writing up here) ... " - well, I think that I was right ... :)

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
You would need some fans, CPU paste, a better GPU if you want multi monitors, but those are less than 200 bucks. I wouldn't build a new computer with less than 12 GB of ram these days. 128 SSD is fine if you store all your data on the spinning disk, 256 if you are worried, they are cheap these days.

800-1000 will get you a mid ranged box with a decent CPU if you build it your self. To step up the high end you still are around 1500, the GPU and CPU's are what kill you.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
You would need some fans, CPU paste, a better GPU if you want multi monitors, but those are less than 200 bucks. I wouldn't build a new computer with less than 12 GB of ram these days. 128 SSD is fine if you store all your data on the spinning disk, 256 if you are worried, they are cheap these days.

800-1000 will get you a mid ranged box with a decent CPU if you build it your self. To step up the high end you still are around 1500, the GPU and CPU's are what kill you.

- that CPU i7-4790 is one of the best (well, unless you want get rid of your money) ...
- about a case fan, not sure is there any in a case ... but easy to buy one later, if none (not a vital one to make it run) ...
- No need CPU paste - it is already there under Intel's CPU fan (he is not an overclocker) ...
- it is easy to buy GPU later, if he thinks that there is use for that (he is not an gamer either) - CPU has intel 4600 HD Graphics
- about SSD, 256 Gb is only 50 USD more, so it might be an good idea, so ...
- about RAM, 8 Gb should be enough, but can increase later easily to 16 Gb, if needed (there is 2 empty memory slots)

EDIT: i7-4790 is a last year model, i7-4790K is this year model (slightly faster, specially for single core and runs cooler), but it is not really important for him ...

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
- that CPU i7-4790 is one of the best (well, unless you want get rid of your money) ...
- about a case fan, not sure is there any in a case ... but easy to buy one later, if none (not a vital one to make it run) ...
- No need CPU paste - it is already there under Intel's CPU fan (he is not an overclocker) ...
- it is easy to buy GPU later, if he thinks that there is use for that (he is not an gamer either) - CPU has intel 4600 HD Graphics
- about SSD, 256 Gb is only 50 USD more, so it might be an good idea, so ...
- about RAM, 8 Gb should be enough, but can increase later easily to 16 Gb, if needed (there is 2 empty memory slots)

EDIT: i7-4790 is a last year model, i7-4790K is this year model (slightly faster, specially for single core and runs cooler), but it is not really important for him ...

Most Cases have fans, the one that I did a quick look at has plenty of fans, the only ones that don't are cheapos.

The CPU fan that comes with the CPU has paste, and even if you buy an after market fan they come with them too.

The GPU can be upgraded at anytime and you don't need anything super powerful to run multiple monitors as Audio Editing doesn't use a whole lot of GPU power, programs use way more CPU then anything.

I use a 120GB Kingston HyperX and I'm a massive gamer (3TB full of games and 1TB full of recordings) and the 120 has plenty of extra space. With the prices of SSD dropping you can upgrade anytime to a better one when its on sale. I've even seen a 4TB 7200RPM 128MB cache on sale through Newegg for $90. You just have to keep an eye out for them.

The board support up to 32GB of RAM but the problem is due to the factory burning down oversea the prices of DDR3 are about 2x more expensive now. A 8GB 1866Mhz stuck use to run for $55-$60 and now go for around $95-$110. DDR4 is also now out and for the speeds and prices are not bad at all, but not many mobos support it yet.

I agree with everything you say, just adding my 2 cents to yours too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb