Call of Duty Ghosts on Xbox One only 720p. PS4 is 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Linked an article earlier saying the next CoD will most likely be 1080P on X1. With the PS4 frame rate issues popping up, it's really just pointing to laziness/cash grab. It's going to be even sadder on the CoD franchise if the X1 reviews also reveal framerate issues.

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Odd that most of the sites don't mention frame rate drops on the PS4... It's like there truly is a witch hunt to bring the One down. Almost reminds me of the media coverage of the last presidential election, Obama as the PS4 and Romney as the XB1.

"witch hunts" is not how media works. MS blew it with the X1, the game is already over.

Sony made a next-gen video game console, Microsoft made a big brother all-encompassing media unit. When a negative is reported on the X1, it's another nail in the coffin. Negatives reported on the PS4 are just negatives. There's no weight to it. PS4 can't play mp3's? Weird, but it'll get fixed. X1 has 2004 resolutions? What else can they do wrong?

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
To say the game is already over for Xbox One is foolish to me. The consoles themselves are not even out yet. Also launch games are not going to show a consoles true potential. Give the developers time to learn how to better develop and take advantage of each consoles' hardware. 2004 resolutions? If you are going by PC specs I guess. But I don't think there were any games that were running true 720P with 60fps on a console back then. Graphics and resolutions are not everything. It is about the gameplay. You know, the actual heart of the games..

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, here's a rather-length (read: WAY TO LONG TO READ) interview with Mark Rubin. Seriously, I don't recommend reading it all (I didn't), but there are some interesting things he discusses.

Call Of Duty: Ghosts Mark Rubin interview – 'there are things that we're not allowed to talk about' | Metro News

I think the biggest one is change. Like we've said, Ghosts looks like every one of the games in the franchise for the past 5 years or so. However, it's interesting how they mention his saying (in an older interview) that change is dangerous because people start to question if it's the same game, and if the franchise name needs to stick. The best analogy I can give is when a band changes its lead singer. It's pretty tough to change what is perhaps the most-recognizable portion of the band and call it the same band. I'm not going to go into specifics on that, since people won't likely know which bands I'm talking about, but there are at least 2 of the bands I listen to where they've changed singers, and people have asked if keeping the name is fair. In one case, the differences are obvious, but the quality and sound is still there. In the other, the first change led to a better band with a different sound, and the second change led to asimilar sound but a lesser band.

Simile aside, I think it's tougher with CoD than other games, since it's more of a "faceless body" approach. Yeah, they had the Masons and McTavish/Price, but how many people would really recognize those characters if a picture was shown? Halo has managed quite a few sweeping changes over more than a decade, but because you have Master Chief and Cortana, the recognizable faces of the franchise, you still see it as Halo. Even on the side of the antagonists, the enemies are limited to two races now (Covenant and Prometheans), and each faction has just a few character models, so it's ALWAYS an Elite or Knight, not a non-American enemy with any number of different facial features.

So I get and understand what he means, but it's SO HARD to stay invested in the same thing with so little change, so let's hope they can find a balance between change and familiarity with Treyarch in 2014.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I am a 360 guy, I use windows phone, windows 8 desktop, and outlook. I'm "plugged in" to the MS ecosystem. I'm just a realist. I would posit that I have a very good grasp of the situation. I am seeing it for what it is, not clouded by my enjoyment of this companies' past products.

You're calling the Xbox One a "big brother machine," despite the fact that nothing had been shown to prove that factual. In fact, it's FURTHER from that with the allowing of unplugging the Kinect now. Really, which is a greater customer pool though, the gamer-only audience or the pseudo-gamers who also love general media consumption? The second is the group Microsoft is aiming for, and if you think that they don't have the software to match the PS4 on almost every front, you're sorely mistaken.

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
You're calling the Xbox One a "big brother machine," despite the fact that nothing had been shown to prove that factual. In fact, it's FURTHER from that with the allowing of unplugging the Kinect now. Really, which is a greater customer pool though, the gamer-only audience or the pseudo-gamers who also love general media consumption? The second is the group Microsoft is aiming for, and if you think that they don't have the software to match the PS4 on almost every front, you're sorely mistaken.

Possibly, time will tell. And yes I know they've retracted all the limitations they tried to impose. But still, it's soured me on it, and countless others. MS has been trying to get in front of the future ever since the iphone hit. Something tells me the boardrooms there were filled with "we will not be left behind again". So win8 is released. And now they come out with a media box that caters not only to game playing, but also media consumption. I do get it, I really do. I just think it's a bad idea, and was executed exceptionally poorly.

Snark aside, who knows, in a few years I may end up getting one. But as of right now, I will use my dollars to support the company that is focusing on what I am buying the unit for: playing video games.

I don't want a media box, especially one that will most likely not support NTFS drives, mkv's/xvid's, etc. I want a kick *** video game box. I have other means for consuming media, I don't need it for that.

tdsweetwheels

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Completely your choice, but if you look at what Sony is doing you might find that they are the ones worried about being left behind. Their PS4 dashboard homescreen is an identical replica of the windows 8 home screen that is on the xbox with its tiles. Sony is scrambling to sign movie studios to develop playstation only content for their new console just as Microsft announced all of the major movie studios coming on board with its XB1 as well as a multi million dollar partnership with the NFL, they are trying to make the gaikai cloud do more than it initially does at the moment due to Microsoft pouring millions into its online infrastructure. The playstation plus service is an xbox gold replica and now you must pay to play online just as microsoft did for the last decade. You see a developing trend here? See by charging customers a fee for xbox live and playstation not charging, ended up settling this fight for microsft years ago. How? Microsoft's online play is unmatched by any available. Playstation Network is light years behind now. Throw in all that money Microsoft made by charging for service and Sony not, and you have a massively beefed up online network now uncompromisable by regional internet lag speeds as Microsoft was smart and just reinvested that money into 300,000 servers to power their network. Sony Playstation network was free of charge and now are charging due to this massive gap in quality as they simply are outmatched in terms of infrastructure. Microsoft isnt stupid. They wouldnt have built this console inferior. To add to the horsepower that is yes, slightly under what the ps4 has under the hood, Microsoft has integrated its cloud service to push the background shading and graphics rendering during gameplay. There simply is no way it is as inferior to the playstation 4 as all of these "credible articles" say. I will invest my money with the company that is investing in its customers. A system that does it all, or a system that does what the last one did only now with slightly better graphics? Microsoft's service and quality of gameplay has always been superior to what Sony has offered. But as i stated its your choice.

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
This game suffers a lot from optimization. Even on pc is horrible and requires 50 GB to install and 6 GB RAM! What for? I do not have it but I watched a youtube video and that guy had a titan (!!) yet the frames dropped now and then! This shows that the developers have been lazy...

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
If there's one thing I learned last-gen, it's that pure resolution and framerate will only take you so far. If it were all down to that, we'd all be carrying PS Vitas.

I'm gonna make a rough guess here. I bet there's more 3DS-owners in here than Vita-owners. And many argue that the 3DS didn't need the 3D.

Sony's business model is and has always been to cram more hardware into a plastic and metal casing.

Between the cloud stuff and the Kinect, I really think Microsoft has given more thought behind the Xbox one than given credit for. You can't just pay for exclusives and stuff more hardware in. Developers have to have a reason to prefer you or they'll just jump ship as soon as the money changes direction. Remember how at e3, the fans hated the X1 but the developers *loved* it? Give it time.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Between the cloud stuff and the Kinect, I really think Microsoft has given more thought behind the Xbox one than given credit for. You can't just pay for exclusives and stuff more hardware in. Developers have to have a reason to prefer you or they'll just jump ship as soon as the money changes direction. Remember how at e3, the fans hated the X1 but the developers *loved* it? Give it time.

This is a self-contradiction. You say you can't just pay for exclusives, but you need a reason to jump to a platform. A big reason people pick a platform is probably because of those bought exclusives, such as Gears of War, Titanfall, and Ryse.

I completely agree about the potential, though. I love the "Drivatar" feature in Forza and someone made the ingenious suggestion of letting it carry over to shooters. Quick explanation, in case people don't know--"Drivatar" takes your driving habits and records them. It then replicates those habits as an in-game AI for other racers around the world, meaning AI drives like people by learning from them. The shooter translation here is to learn a person's shooter habits and carry it over to squad-based shooters. Imagine if the AI in Call of Duty wasn't so incompetent, because it mimicked your friends. That would be the ultimate selling point for multi-platform games, if Microsoft could get Activision and DICE/EA to do this.

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
last cod title i really loved was cod2 and then modern warfare. then it got seriously boring linear fps. at least it made me switch to battlefield and i am happy now.. sooo, what i am trying to say, hmm. i don't know. don't be too serious about CoD, the game is rubbish, developers has shown some really poor results with past series, i think it was balck ops, that was light years far from being optimized zero bugs release.

i wouldn't judge console power by one poorly optimized game. ps4 won't be running smoothly 1080p on 60fps, that's for sure. sooo, i think, just time will show, once developer raise the experience with these new systems and will be able to squeeze the best out of it. then i am 100% sure, we will have all games in 1080p on both platforms and still i expect Xbox One will be a winner once again.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
That. Sounds. Amazing. Whoa.

As long as its not called 'Shootatar'

This is a self-contradiction. You say you can't just pay for exclusives, but you need a reason to jump to a platform. A big reason people pick a platform is probably because of those bought exclusives, such as Gears of War, Titanfall, and Ryse.

I completely agree about the potential, though. I love the "Drivatar" feature in Forza and someone made the ingenious suggestion of letting it carry over to shooters. Quick explanation, in case people don't know--"Drivatar" takes your driving habits and records them. It then replicates those habits as an in-game AI for other racers around the world, meaning AI drives like people by learning from them. The shooter translation here is to learn a person's shooter habits and carry it over to squad-based shooters. Imagine if the AI in Call of Duty wasn't so incompetent, because it mimicked your friends. That would be the ultimate selling point for multi-platform games, if Microsoft could get Activision and DICE/EA to do this.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Please keep this thread civil and discuss the topic without fighting and insulting each other.

This thread will be closed if any further moderation is necessary.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This thread has continued to spiral into petty insults and is no longer contributing to the community in any meaningful way. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077