Camera button no always launching camera from sleep

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I'm wondering if something weird is going on in general when the screen is off, because today I was listening to music and pressing the volume buttons didn't adjust anything until I turned the screen on either.

Hopefully an update can fix that.

smartvoyager

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I have seen no correlation between landscape or portrait and the non-functioning button. It sometimes works the first time and sometimes it takes 4 times to activate. It always works when the phone is on. This is a major flaw in a product that is supposed to be the "savior" of the platform. I am bringing mine back tot he store to see if swapping it with a new one will help. I am also going to test the Titan II and see if it has the same problem. I have owned/used a Focus, Titan, HTC7s and a Focus S and none of them have had this issue.

I am also getting phantom home button presses. I was playing Angry Birds and the phone kept sending me back to the home screen. It even popped up voice command a couple of times. I KNOW i did not accidentally hold the windows button down.

smartvoyager

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I just got back from the local AT&T store. There was a Microsoft Rep there and we talked about my issues. He said the phantom button presses were most likely a hardware error. He also siad that the camera not launching happens on the Nokia in his pocket and he thought it was already fixed on the release models. He said they recalled his first Nokia phone and gave him a new one.

I tested three phones in the store with the Microsoft rep and they all did not launch the camera with any consistency. Even the phone he was personally carrying did not work.

The Titan II worked every time. Unfortunately, they only got 3 in stock and sold them all already.
I tried is

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
It's apparently not just the camera and volume buttons, because plugging in a headset, the button on that doesn't always work when the screen is off either, whether you're trying to do a tellme search, or just control music with it.

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the issue with the volume buttons too, but they always work after about 15 seconds...I assumed it was a timeout so that if its in your pocket and gets pressed it will only work the first time and not just go up and down over and over again. (assumption based on the fact that after about 15 seconds they work EVERY time for me, but they only work once, then I have to wait again.)

milk242

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the camera button suppose to be a "2-stage" button. As in, an initial press initiates the focus and deeper press initiates the camera?

I only ask because when I was in diagnostic mode and testing the hardware buttons, they had one for focus and camera. Shallow did focus and pressing the button in more activated the camera.

If that is the case, does anyone think the travel of the button to get the camera to activate is too deep?

npyle

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
As an owner of both the 900 and 800, I can say that from my experience, the 800 camera launch from sleep occurs more quickly with the button press than the 900. At first I thought I had an issue with camera waking phone from 'sleep', but found I had to press and hold the button for a long one second count--800 seems to be around a half-second count. After doing that long one second count hold, I consistently get the 900 to go to camera mood.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
This isn't my first Windows Phone, I know that it's a 2-stage button, and I know you have to press it in all the way. It's just not working right all the time.

smartvoyager

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
i am pressing the button long enough and deep enough. I have had a few windows phones myself and the Lumia does not work correctly. It is a shame. I love the form factor and screen. I hope they get it resolved but with AT&T's track record on pushing windows phone updates, it might be month's.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Still an issue. Whenever stores get more I'll have to check it out, but like I said about my Wifi issue, it really seems like software on this one when the button works 100% of the time when the screen is on.

dvakaduke

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here with the camera button...

I've seen this same inconsistent behavior when trying to activate the camera while the phone is locked or when trying to adjust the volume while listening to music. Interesting find tonight while messing around with the phone though - if I push any of the soft buttons first (search, windows, back) then try to activate the camera or adjust the volume up or down it works - very odd! The other thing I noticed if I use this trick before adjusting volume, I can only adjust one way at a time - so I can turn it up but if I want to immediately turn it down that doesn't work.

There is clearly an issue with this - I wonder if this is more of a firmware/software problem vs. a hardware problem?? Before I have a hundred people telling me I'm not pushing the button down correctly, trust me, this isn't operator error - I am very capable of pushing the button correctly - never had this issue with my Focus.

I encountered these experiences tonight after updating my phone with the new firmware.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Updated my phone, no issues with turning on my camera from locked screen nor changing volume when listening to music when the phone is locked. Didnt have an issue prior either.

If it doesnt work properly, i would go and get an exchange.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you making sure that the proximity sensor is not covered when you are trying to wake the camera. It works even if you are just over the sensor and not touching it.

aaronchow

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Just an update. I go to the pictures and camera setting, press reset camera couple of times, then turn off and on the "hold camera button to wake up" box couple of times and now it is working for me. If anyone is still having problem with this, please try my method.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I had Samsung focus before my lumia 900, and at first I thought the same thing that the camera button is not waking the phone up.

but the difference is that the lumia 900 need longer press of the camera button that the focus,

"YOU NEED TO KEEP IT PRESSED UNTILL IT VIBRATES" to let you know that it detected your button press, so basically upi need to keep the button pressed untill the camera activates.

if you have used another wp7 model, like me a focus, it does not work the same , on focus it would onlu need a FULL press , you do not need to keep it pressed for long. but on the umia 900 if you let the button go before it vibrates, then it's going to be hit or miss whether it works.

prevent accidental button press setting is meant to prevent it from turning the camera on when it in your pocket or purse or up to your ear while on a call and uses the proximity sensor to work.

if you want to test it out, put the phone in your pocket or up to your ear, then press the camera button, it won't turn on, you can keep it pressed FOREVER and still it won't turn on.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just turned off that option to have it not take a picture in my pocket, since my pocket is loose and I don't think I have that problem anyway. It's been fine since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon