Camera button still not waking phone

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Technology is all ones and zeros, do the same thing every time UNLESS a new variable is introduced. They aren't fickle like people (except maybe where power/heat is concerned). What you need to figure out now is what is different for today? Launch any apps in a certain combination where one of them lingers and causes an issue? (just an example)

With all due respect, I don't need to figure that out - Nokia does. Remember: we're not beta testers.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Agree with PhilR8. This is a feature that is standard in all Mango phones, so why does it only work sometimes with my Lumia 900? As Nokia has claims, the beta test is over, their product should be flawless.

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here. My camera button only unlocks the phone when it wants too. I usually have to force reboot by holding the power button for 10 seconds for the camera button unlock function to work again.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

gmurray81

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
As I said, please try holding it like a camera. So that its in landscape orientation and holding the button down. This works every time for me. I think maybe they have made it dependent on the orientation by accident.

Its probably supposed to be another feature to prevent accidental activation of the camera app, and ended up in the update by accident, as a guess.

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
As I said, please try holding it like a camera. So that its in landscape orientation and holding the button down. This works every time for me. I think maybe they have made it dependent on the orientation by accident.

Its probably supposed to be another feature to prevent accidental activation of the camera app, and ended up in the update by accident, as a guess.
I just tried this and my phone still didn't wake by pressing the camera button. I do press the button firmly not just to the "autofocus level"...Oh well.

I just rebooted and the camera won't wake the phone normally but now if I press the camera button twice with two long presses it will wake the phone. Seems like this may be another memory issue and not hardware related.

Last edited:

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I've found half pressing it down for a second, then full pressing afterward works. Takes a few times to get used to it, but smooth sailing since.

Now, if only the volume buttons worked when the screen's locked...

Interesting, that totally worked!

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site

Right now, holding the phone in portrait orientation, the shutter button is waking the device every time. Also working every time while holding it "like a camera" in landscape orientation.

I'm hoping there won't be a next time, but I'll keep your advice in mind if the device begins to act up again.

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
camera button no longer wakes the phone at all no matter how many times or how long I press it or how I hold the phone. I didn't reboot ....Very strange. Perhaps this is caused by a conflict with a downloaded app using background updates or something.....who knows.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
With all due respect, I don't need to figure that out - Nokia does. Remember: we're not beta testers.

I only mean that people are taking devices back and getting new ones left and right, and the issues is likely with all of them so they are wasting their time.

hellomiggy

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Quick Fix, Power on the screen and Hold the Camera Button. Turn off the device, and press hold down the camera button. It should turn on, it works for me.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
You have to press this button like the world is coming to an end. I thought I had this problem too but I started pushing hard as ****, & now it works lol

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
You have to press this button like the world is coming to an end. I thought I had this problem too but I started pushing hard as ****, & now it works lol

Nope. It's not like we're doing something wrong. Do you know how long I tried to launch the camera when it wouldn't work? I spent about thirty minutes trying every way possible. Soft, hard, long, short, pausing between the stages of the shutter button, etc.

This is not user error. This is something that is wrong with the device.

joeaux

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this is actually the only thing I'd call a bug with my 900. It will work for a bunch of times then all of a sudden stops. Won't work no matter what you do. I thought for a long time is was the proximity sensor like someone said, but no that's not it. My DVP never had the problem. If you pushed the camera button while the phone was locked, it went straight to the camera. It's a bug.
-joe-

siradude

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I was able to reproduce a NON working wake from sleep camera button BUG!. Everytime!!!

Plug the phone to your PC via USB, after ZUNE starts, close Zune.
Now while my phone is USB connected, the camera button WILL NOT wake the phone from sleep.
But the camera button will work from locked even if USB connected.

When USB plug is disconected, after a few seconds the camera button will start to work properly again, if not usually a reboot will fix it.

Have NOT tried this process by just using an USB wall charger with no computer yet.

But I can make this Symptom appear EVERY TIME, by using the USB in PC method.

Meanwhile my Samsung Focus camera button WILL work while connected to the USB PC interface at ALL time, from sleep or lock screen.

Please, others with no problems, try thismethod to see if your phones will not wake from sleep via camera button when PC USB connected.

Maybe this can lead someone to a solution or cause.....

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
So I am having issues with this. Mine will not wake it up all the time. Very annoying. Here's something else about it as well...

Settings>Applications>Pictures+Camera>Prevent accidental camera launch when phone is locked. Regardless whether or not it is ON or OFF... it will occasionally wake the phone into camera mode. It genuinely doesn't matter which I have selected. It seems to work when it wants to.

Having owned an HD7S and a Focus, I love the ability to quickly wake up my phone to snap a quick picture. It's frustrating as all **** with the Lumia, because I don't know if it's gonna work every time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077