camera quality

David Dawson1

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
hi im new here.

ive recently bought the nokia lumia 1020 and im looking forward tot taking some nice pictures.
i spend alot of time fishing so get the chance to take many pics.

the question i have and need help with is this.

ive took some pics,the 5mp and 34 mp look exactly the same on the phone and the pc?? no different??
i can zoom in more on the larger pics but they still blur the same as the normal.i cant notice any difference at all.
also whats the point of me taking a 34mp picture when i can only post on facebook or email a 5mp??

tottally confused as my galaxy note is taking very simialr pics and is much easier to operate.im sure im doing something wrong.

i cant get any imfo inline,where does the larger pic go and whats the point if i cant use it?im left with a 5mp?
when i load upto pc i can see the other higher mp picture but like i said its the exact same?

thx in advance

dave

Emix1988

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi and welcome.

1st i think that you are not doing anything wrong, it's like that you can take 2 pics at same time.

2nd No they are not the same. 5mp pics can't be same like 34mpx pics when you both zoom at 100%.

HighRes pics are good for editing. 5mpx are for sharing and that's it.

I have a feeling that you expected something more, something special?

David Dawson1

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok thx for the reply.

Im not expecting special but better than my galaxy note 2..

The thing thats getting me is both of my pics are identical.no difference at all.
I cant understand it i must be doing something wrong?

Emix1988

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
They both are much better than Note 2 trust me.

And how do you mean identical? They should be identical. I told you 34/38mpx pics you can zoom much more to 100% you can see many details that you can't with other phones.
And 5mpx are great for sharing, printing... And they have great details. Try zooming at 100% you will see how sharp and good quality they are.

Zerveone

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
They are not the same. From Your words I can say that you're not doing anything wrong. They look the same, but they aren't. For instance the large photo is a bit more soft than the smaller one (oversampling applies a lot of sharpening). As Emix said, just check your pictures at 100% zoom level, you're going to see the difference right away.

About Your galaxy 2 comparison: Most of daylight photos look "the same" to a lot of people, especially if You're not paying attention to the details (Lumia shots are just plain better, but You need to know how to spot the difference). 1020 captures much more detailed pictures, just zoom them in to see it. What You need to learn is that the biggest advantage your new phone gives you is control over your shots. If You really want to see the difference, You need to start using creative mode controlling ISO, shutter speed, manual focusing and more. That's where Lumia 1020 excels over any other smartphone camera. Auto mode does the job if You want to get a "general picture", but that's not what photography is all about.

David Dawson1

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ok thx guys

im a novice when it comes to pics.
what do you mean zoom 100%? what zoom in or out?
if i zoom out to 100 it doesnt fit on my led tv and thats 32inch.

sorry guys im confused thinking 5 mega pixel means a poorer photo than say a 10 mega pixel or 34 mega pixel ect.?

sorry to be a pain but trying to get my head round it.
so i can ajust my 34 megapixel pic and then reduce it to 5 mega pixel and it will look better than the one i have ? if so how do i save it to 5 megapixel after i have altered it?
i take it the phone does that for me?

again sorry but im very new to this side of taking pics,my camera is point and shoot and then send wireless to face book or usb to pc.

thx

dave

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
You kind of answered your own question. The MP count refers to the size of the picture. That's why when you zoom to 100% it is too big for your screen, whereas the 5MP version is smaller and oversampled for better quality. The idea behind the 38mp is for Bigger pictures with more detail so the can be zoomed and cropped to your liking without losing as much quality like you would lose on the 5mp. You will see he 5mp at 100% scale and 38mp at 100% scale are different in that they both should have the same or similar quality picture but the 38mp keeps that quality on a larger scale.

headphoneus

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Okay, let me answer your question.

When you click a picture on 1020 with Nokia Camera app, it saves two jpeg versions (5mp and 38mp).
The 5 mp version is oversampled with large pixels and can be viewed directly in Camera library while the 38 mp normal sampled shot is only visible while reframing or with some special apps (see below)

Over sampling is the reason 5mp looks as good as a 38mp shot. Although, if you open both the pictures together side by side on computer, you can appreciate the small differences.

Select Hi-res folder when using the app: Phriz.be phriz.be | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Click here to see Lumia 1020's power: http://m.youtube.com/#/playlist?fea...eed-u&list=PLKpvg0EiHEuwJlX4w24eltpZAVS8g-L9M

Ps. The Quality of Lumia 1020 shines when you test the DOF (Depth of Field). The bokeh effects you can get in 1020 are impossible to get on your Note 2. Have you tried using the Lossless zoom feature? Notes or iPhones don't even come close.

Hope this post answered all your questions! :)

Last edited:

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The 5 mp version is oversampled with large pixels (HTC One uses this technology in HTC One 4mp camera over sampling a 8mp shot).

Not trying to nitpick here but HTC One uses an actual 4MP sensor, not oversampled from an 8MP sensor. Unlike Nokia's technology it is not possible to recover a high resolution image from the HTC1. It was a rather dumb engineering decision which has haunted HTC ever since.

headphoneus

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Not trying to nitpick here but HTC One uses an actual 4MP sensor, not oversampled from an 8MP sensor. Unlike Nokia's technology it is not possible to recover a high resolution image from the HTC1. It was a rather dumb engineering decision which has haunted HTC ever since.

Not a problem. I was actually not sure about it. Thanks, edited!

David Dawson1

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Cool thx guys getting the hang of it now.
Just to clear one other thing please.when ive chosen my pic i want of the 34mp pic my phone automatically
Saves it to 5 mp....is this the right size? Or am i supossed to alter on my pc .
Thx for the links as well.
Im getting there now.
I have nokia procam but it doesnt have a timer or voice but it takes a good pic.
I also have proshot which is user friendly and u can save uptp 12mp but im finding the nokia procam takes slightly better pics even at 5mp

Wish the procam had a way i could take a self shot as like i said its for fishing.seeing as though i cant see
Myself the zoom and croping is dead handy.

Thx for the help really appreciate it.think i can go ahead and sell my note 2 now.only got the nokia for
Camera and feel as though i understand more now.only a little though.
Oh when ive picked a frame i want to us3 from the 34mp pic its more blurry what would i use to clea4
It up best.is the nokia sofware on the phone good enough?

Thx

Dav3

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

The concept is similar though. Nokia is using oversampling to achieve a similar output as HTC's One. Of course having the option for high megapixel count gives you a lot of benefits as well, but pixel-peeping is not so good with such tiny pixels.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Just to clear one other thing please.when ive chosen my pic i want of the 34mp pic my phone automatically
Saves it to 5 mp....is this the right size? Or am i supossed to alter on my pc .
Im getting there now.
I have nokia procam but it doesnt have a timer or voice but it takes a good pic.
I also have proshot which is user friendly and u can save uptp 12mp but im finding the nokia procam takes slightly better pics even at 5mp

Wish the procam had a way i could take a self shot as like i said its for fishing.seeing as though i cant see

Thx for the help really appreciate it.think i can go ahead and sell my note 2 now.only got the nokia for
Oh when ive picked a frame i want to us3 from the 34mp pic its more blurry what would i use to clea4

Thx

Dav3

If you zoom in ALL the way, it's going to be more blurry, but if you stick to some 2-3x zoom, the pictures will look great.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
How are you seeing them on your PC, are you emailing them from your phone ?
You won't get a 38MP ( not 34MP) sent by email. Connect your phone to your PC and open the Camera Roll file and copy picture both pictures
and then view each full size, you'll see the huge difference.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The concept is similar though. Nokia is using oversampling to achieve a similar output as HTC's One. Of course having the option for high megapixel count gives you a lot of benefits as well, but pixel-peeping is not so good with such tiny pixels.

No, the concept is not similar at all. HTC basically said OK, cameras have been going from 1MP to 3MP to 5MP to 8MP to 13/16MP, let's step back to where we were a few years ago and settle at 4MP.

Nokia started by using a large sensor (4x larger than others) with high resolution to enable a reasonable zooming capability. If zooming or reframing is not required then the pixels are combined to create a cleaner and sharper image.

The approach is fundamentally different and I believe HTC's is sadly fundamentally flawed as many reviews have panned its camera performance. It's not even on par with the iPhones and Galaxies, let alone the 1020 or 1520. They have betted on the false premise that how you slice a cake can make a big difference in image quality while Nokia simply uses a larger cake.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
On another note, the images you see on your phone have lower resolution t than the actual photos. You can only see the real resolution with a PC or when you buy the HD Viewer app.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
On another note, the images you see on your phone have lower resolution t than the actual photos. You can only see the real resolution with a PC or when you buy the HD Viewer app.
If you're on the 1020 or 1520, this isn't really the case. For starters, the files you end up viewing are the 5MP downsampled photos.

This is on the HD Viewer app, that is.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
They will look the same on whatever device you put them on. Even a 42" 1080p TV is only capable of showing a 2mpx picture unzoomed. You will never see a difference between the 38mpx and 5mpx unless you zoom. Simply because there aren't any screens out there that can show the detail.

Cheewii Poon

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Im getting there now.

Thx

Dav3

Hi Dav,

I don't think there is a voice activated capture right now, but there is a timer for Pro Cam. Just click on the 3 small dots on the bottom right and click timer, then choose how long you want the timer to be. Also you can use the camera on the front (which is not as good) by pressing the same 3 dots and then "front-facing".

Because it is 34mp, you can zoom in a bit without making the picture blurry and unclear, but it is not a normal camera that has moving lens, so you cannot zoom in too much like normal camera.

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99