Can charge with but CAN'T connect to laptop

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
after searching 35 pages in the 1520 forum, i have not found a solution.
within the last two weeks my 1520 has lost the ability to be seen by my laptop.
all updates to both phone and pc are current,
phone is on PfD and current (8.1.1)
laptop is windows 8.1 pro.

have tried phone on another laptop with same result.
have tried son's phone, also a 1520 with PfD and 8.1.1.
his phone connects with no issues.

is it possible i am missing something? a driver from phone, maybe?

i need to be able to connect phone to laptop. short
of a hard reset and unenrolling in PfD, what are my options.
also can't send in for warranty, as this is primary device and no spare windows phone in home.

dpaynewp

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if this will work but it's worth a try. There is a new Lumia software recovery tool available, install it on your laptop - I noticed when I installed it there were a number of new drivers installed.

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if this will work but it's worth a try. There is a new Lumia software recovery tool available, install it on your laptop - I noticed when I installed it there were a number of new drivers installed.
I have that on my laptop already. to use it, my laptop needs to "see" the phone.
I get this notice when connecting the phone>> the last usb device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
1.Start PC/laptopn in safe mode and then go into device manager - you should be able to see things there that aren't visible in normal mode. Remove anything related to the phone and try everything again in normal mode.
2. soft reset phone when connected to PC. sometimes it helps
3.Could be a problem with the USB port in the phone.

Hopefully it is not 3. Have you tried using another cable?
Cheers

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
1.Start PC/laptopn in safe mode and then go into device manager - you should be able to see things there that aren't visible in normal mode. Remove anything related to the phone and try everything again in normal mode.
2. soft reset phone when connected to PC. sometimes it helps
3.Could be a problem with the USB port in the phone.

Hopefully it is not 3. Have you tried using another cable?
Cheers
have tried two different cables. same result.
have down the soft reset. same result.
will try safe mode and see what happens.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
have tried phone on another laptop with same result.

i .

I fear your phone (usb) has a problem.
If it also does not work on another pc and with all the things you already did than it "must" be your phone.

Try if you see something in the USB port or push and move it around and see if it "contacts".

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I fear your phone (usb) has a problem.
If it also does not work on another pc and with all the things you already did than it "must" be your phone.

Try if you see something in the USB port or push and move it around and see if it "contacts".
wonderful if it is the phone don't need that
t

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
figured that. and hope it isn't. I can charge just cant get laptop to "see" the phone.
have tried uninstalling and possible drivers and reinstalling. no joy.

One last change is to set your pc back to a date it still could connect with your pc.
Because if some driver or whatever was corrupted when you plugged in your phone than this "corrupted" file would still be intact in the restore point.

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
One last change is to set your pc back to a date it still could connect with your pc.
Because if some driver or whatever was corrupted when you plugged in your phone than this "corrupted" file would still be intact in the restore point.
yeah that may be my option
tyvm will try

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
no luck using the above tool.
do you think a restore and start as new would solve the issue?

If it is software side it most likely is on your computer...

Sounds like a bad pin in the microB USB port on the phone. You pretty much eliminated everything else so far as I can see.

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If it is software side it most likely is on your computer...

Sounds like a bad pin in the microB USB port on the phone. You pretty much eliminated everything else so far as I can see.
possibly. and my aged eyes can't see that :-( any way of determining that it is a bad pin?

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
you should be sending it to the nearest Nokia/ ms store for warranty repair/replacement. Last thing you want is to void warranty by taking it to mobile repair clinic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb