Can I/How to install Windows 11 on new SSD in laptop with Windows 10 Single Language in HDD?

anuith

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a laptop with Windows 10 Single Language installed on HDD.

I'm getting a new SSD.

Can I / How to do clean install Windows 11 on the new SSD?

Will it be able to activate? Or what steps should I take before/after install to make sure the Windows will be activated after install?

My laptop is Lenovo Legion Y530
CPU: Intel®Core™ i5-8300H
RAM: 16GB DDR4

PC Health Check app shows it is compatible with Windows 11.

Thank you.

Jun 9, 2021
Visit site
If you have digital license linked to your Microsoft Account then definitely it will be activated automatically on Sign in.
Download Windows11 ISO file from Official Microsoft page, create installation media and simply install...

maitreg

Apr 5, 2022
Visit site
You will need to download the Windows 11 ISO first from here: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11?msclkid=4dfb4d56b50011ecae8a6526f5365f7f

After you download it, follow the instruction on the page to burn it to a DVD (right-click the ISO file) or USB Thumb drive. This will create a bootable installation DVD/USB to be able to install on your new SSD.

Then install the SSD in your computer, boot it from that installation DVD/USB, and the instructions should be straightforward. The only unintuitive step is in the very beginning, if this is a brand new SSD, it will probably not be partitioned or formatted, and the installation screens will lead you through a process to Create a Partition first (all usable Windows hard drives must have at least one formatted partition). After you create the new partition using 100% of available space, let it to a standard format, then you're ready to install.

Complete the installation wizard, and it will install either an activated Windows or a temporary version that allows you to activate later. This will take 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on options and Internet speed.

After installation, to activate your Windows:

1. If the digital activation is already registered to your Microsoft account, all you have to do is log in to your Microsoft account. This will be set up for you during the Windows installation.

2. If you have a separate registration key, go to Settings | System | About, and click on "Product key and Activation", and you can type in a new product key and get your installation activated.

maitreg

Apr 5, 2022
Visit site
If you only have one drive bay and are replacing your HDD with the new SSD, after you install your new SSD, I strongly recommend getting an external USB3 SATA drive enclosure or drive bay (2.5" or 2.5/3.5") so that you can connect your old HDD to your laptop and copy any files you want to keep off of it before storing it or repurposing it for another computer, game console, etc. You do not want to just throw the old HDD in a box somewhere with files on it. Get whatever you want off of it immediately. Don't wait. You'll regret it.

Decent external drive enclosures/bays range between about US $15 - 90, depending on features.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99