Can I use my Microsoft Wireless HDMI Adapter with Windows 10 technical preview?

MarnixK

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Just bought a Microsoft Wireless HDMI Adapter, can i use it on my Windows 10 technical preview computer?
If so, how? I can't figure it out.
When I go to Notification Centre --> Connect it keeps on searching but finds nothing.

Thanks

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If it's anything like the HD-10 Miracast adapter, then it's using 2.4Ghz WiFi to connect to your device. In case your device is already using the 2.4 GHz frequency to connect to the internet, both connection might interfere. Best thing to do is use a 5Ghz frequency to connect to the internet. Most routers/access points nowadays support it (802.11n if I'm not mistaken).

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
If it's anything like the HD-10 Miracast adapter, then it's using 2.4Ghz WiFi to connect to your device. In case your device is already using the 2.4 GHz frequency to connect to the internet, both connection might interfere. Best thing to do is use a 5Ghz frequency to connect to the internet. Most routers/access points nowadays support it (802.11n if I'm not mistaken).

Shouldn't be an issue- devices like this were made to be used while the internet is connected. Hence the requirement of separate hardware (Wi-Fi direct). IF there was interference (which is most unlikely) he would still be able to see the device, but he would have poor/laggy performance or have trouble connecting.

Not being able to see it at all means the drivers aren't working or someone nearby is using a precision tuned wifi jammer to target Miracast.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Shouldn't be an issue- devices like this were made to be used while the internet is connected. Hence the requirement of separate hardware (Wi-Fi direct). IF there was interference (which is most unlikely) he would still be able to see the device, but he would have poor/laggy performance or have trouble connecting.

Not being able to see it at all means the drivers aren't working or someone nearby is using a precision tuned wifi jammer to target Miracast.

Search the net for Miracast connection issues, you'll find quite lot of threads referring to these interferences. And I experienced the very same.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Search the net for Miracast connection issues, you'll find quite lot of threads referring to these interferences. And I experienced the very same.

I said it was unlikely, not that it didn't happen. If I search the internet for "Miracast connection issues" I will certainly find examples of it not working, but that type of search is also the definition of confirmation bias...

josipogo

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
First try Windows Logo + P. If that do not help then something missing, driver or some system files. Maybe it could be issue with Win 10 TP.
One of option is to rollback to 8.1 and see will Miracast work it from 8.1, if not work then your laptop cannot work as Miracast client.
Also you can try from Win 10 TP - All Settings - Devices - Connected devices - Add device. Then try Windows logo + P.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
For my part, I have two routers in 2.4GHz, two Miracast receivers (microsoft's and actiontec's), 50+ wireless devices (roughly 25 active at any given time on a normal day) all in a not so big house with many data consuming occupants. But wait! There are 11 channels each router can use under 2.4GHz, and they auto select the cleanest spectrum. So wifi direct, also capable of selecting the cleanest of 11 channels, has 9 pristinely empty channels to choose from... Miracast works flawlessly. Your and others' issues could easily be malfunctioning drivers and weak (defective) radios- clearing up interference could certainly help an underperforming transmitter, but it might be treating a symptom, not the root cause.

Honestly, the whole "use 5Ghz for less interference" is a marketing ploy to get people to buy 5GHz dual band routers. The number of people that actually have enough devices pumping out enough noise to cause issues on the 2.4Ghz spectrum... Those are edge cases. Like someone in an apartment next to 11 other apartments where every apartment has a router and some of those household 2.4GHz cordless phones.

RazaNaqvi

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes, tech preview supports wireless displays AKA Miracast, but as others alluded to earlier, your computer should be capable of it to use the feature. Are you able to use wireless displays with Windows 8.1 on your system? Which system do you have? If wireless displays were working for you on 8.1, please ask the question on the insider forum and post the link here so we can diagnose further. Windows Insider Program - Microsoft Community

MarnixK

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys thank for the replies. I have an ASUS K53SV laptop. BTW I just rolled back to Windows 8.1 and still doesn't work.... Everythings installed so I guess my device isn't supporting Miracast. Gotta wait until I can pay for a surface then!

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys thank for the replies. I have an ASUS K53SV laptop. BTW I just rolled back to Windows 8.1 and still doesn't work.... Everythings installed so I guess my device isn't supporting Miracast. Gotta wait until I can pay for a surface then!

yes, computer support miracast it is in the OS..when you try to connect disable your security software along with windows firewall until you are connected..

I had days of the BS with tech support saying to me it was not supported..

although I have not tried it with win 10....it was when I tried with win 8.1...tonight i'll try with win 10 and report

try that.....

Edit..: I have push to TV 3000..and it has connect to my Sharp Aquos TV with no problem....I have to disable the AVG security internet along with the windows firewall to do the initial connecting. After I re-enable the security....everything is all well..

Last edited:

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Many, many people have problems with the push to TV 3000- the source of your issue is very likely the device being stupid. It's not very good.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Many, many people have problems with the push to TV 3000- the source of your issue is very likely the device being stupid. It's not very good.

like I said, disable the security software with windows firewall during connection ...PTV 3000 works just fine

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Just to give further info, all you need for your PC to support Miracast is a modern WiFi driver (and so a WiFi dongle that supports it) and a vid card driver that supports Miracast (this is as stated by MS if you search). Both Intel and Nvidia cards (modern ones) support this, don't know about ATi. The problem comes with WiFi. I cannot find even one WiFi dongle or card that states it supports Miracast in the spec. Ruddy annoying.

Can anyone recommend a suitable dongle? Must be 5 & 2.4 and ideally would support 450meg N speeds like my router (3 spatial streams rather than 2 like the 300meg sticks).

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Just to give further info, all you need for your PC to support Miracast is a modern WiFi driver (and so a WiFi dongle that supports it) and a vid card driver that supports Miracast (this is as stated by MS if you search). Both Intel and Nvidia cards (modern ones) support this, don't know about ATi. The problem comes with WiFi. I cannot find even one WiFi dongle or card that states it supports Miracast in the spec. Ruddy annoying.

Can anyone recommend a suitable dongle? Must be 5 & 2.4 and ideally would support 450meg N speeds like my router (3 spatial streams rather than 2 like the 300meg sticks).

It doesn't quite work like that- Miracast actually uses wifi-direct, which is a radio completely independent of wifi. Your computer needs to physically have a dedicated Wifi direct chipset. The shared name does make it confusing... But think of it like bluetooth- it's its own thing.

Miracast and Intel widi are basically interchangeable- when looking for a device to use Miracast with you can search for "widi" too, and if the device has wifi direct it very likely has miracast/widi.

The only wifi direct dongle I know of is actiontec's, but I'm fairly sure it only works with their receiver. It's a very good receiver, though. http://www.actiontec.com/298.html

Some background info: The win8 Miracast drivers were specifically developed using that product as a test device. I'd say it's the best choice for a Miracast receiver. Microsoft's receiver is also very good and likely received the same treatment, however it's locked to 720p (at least I can't figure out how to change it). Actiontec's is a lot more powerful and configurable.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Um, no. Microsoft say 'Wireless display is available on most new Windows 8.1 PCs, but some PC manufacturers might choose not to include it on some new and upgraded PCs. Specifically, your PC needs WDDM 1.3 display and NDIS 6.4 Wi-Fi drivers, enabled by the IHV and OEM for Miracast.'

I did tell you to search.

So, if you build your own PC and so you are the OEM all you need is a compatible vid card and WiFi card.

Try this link:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2013/11/12/windows-8-1-on-your-big-screen-with-miracast/

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Um, no. Microsoft say 'Wireless display is available on most new Windows 8.1 PCs, but some PC manufacturers might choose not to include it on some new and upgraded PCs. Specifically, your PC needs WDDM 1.3 display and NDIS 6.4 Wi-Fi drivers, enabled by the IHV and OEM for Miracast.'

I did tell you to search.

So, if you build your own PC and so you are the OEM all you need is a compatible vid card and WiFi card.

Try this link:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2013/11/12/windows-8-1-on-your-big-screen-with-miracast/

You are mistaken. Look under "disadvantages" in particular in the following URL:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast

Miracast / WiDi are technologies used over wifi direct. Your URL also says as much, just not in clear language.

Link hates it when people don't listen to him...

I know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion