Can this Idea make Windows 10 Mobile a Success?

XperiaWindows

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I am an Android user since the last 4-5 years. The highly restrictive environment of IOS pushed me towards Android. But, sometimes I feel Android is too open to the point of causing problems. So, I often wish there is a third mobile ecosystem which combines the best of both IOS and Android, and every time I think of it, Windows 10 Mobile comes to my mind first. To me, Windows 10 Mobile represents the best of both worlds ? Android and IOS. It is open to the point of helping me being productive but not open to the point of being confusing.

Coming to the point, as all of you know, it is Apps which is holding back the Windows 10 Mobile from living up to its fullest potential. So, how can Microsoft fix this issue ? one which is plaguing them since Windows Mobile 7? They are already trying to fix the App gap through the Universal Apps, but as most of you know many companies aren?t too keen on developing Universal Apps.

So, what can Microsoft do to increase the pace of app development?

The answer, according to me, is by launching low-end laptops running Windows 10 RT (By Windows 10 RT, I simply mean Windows 10 Mobile OS). First, to avoid all the naming confusion, Microsoft should simply rename Windows 10 Mobile into Windows 10 Lite or Windows RT etc.

So, what is my logic behind the need for Windows 10 Laptops running Windows 10 RT? The visible demand for cheap, fast and no non-sense laptops. Chromebooks are the perfect example for this. The fact is that a VERY SIZABLE NUMBER of people don?t need very powerful laptops running complex operating systems to do their everyday work. Popularity of Chromebooks among schools and colleges is a fine example for this. Though not a student, even I fall under this category. I use my laptop only for MS Word, casual browsing, email and watching movies. Nothing more at all. So, a laptop running full Windows 10 is OVERKILL for me.

Among my friends and family, I recommended Chromebooks to at least half a dozen people. Most of them made the purchases and are extremely happy with the purchase as Chromebooks are literally ZERO maintenance devices. To counter the sales of Chromebooks, Microsoft did work with OEMs and launched low-end laptops with Celeron and Pentium processors. Unfortunately, these laptops run the full Windows 10 OS which requires much better specs to provide a pleasing experience

This is why Microsoft needs to come up with Windows 10 RT laptops. Unlike the full Windows 10 OS, Windows RT can run smoothly even on Celeron processors since the Windows 10 RT version is very light (After all, Windows 10 Mobile runs smoothly on mid-range snapdragon processors) These Windows RT laptops will be perfect competition to Chromebooks. They will be secure, fast, long lasting, low maintenance and cheap as well. So, instead of trying to push cheap laptops running full Windows 10 OS (which results in irritating user experience), Microsoft should encourage cheap laptops running Windows 10 RT (which results in much better user experience at those price points). Please note, I am talking about large screen laptops which can compete with Chromebooks directly. I am not talking about 10 or 11 inch 2-in-1?s which run Windows 10 RT (like the Surface RT devices).

So, how can such RT laptops help Windows 10 Mobile ecosystem? Simple, it will attract more top developers to make Universal Apps. Take Google as a hypothetical example. Google will not bother to make Universal Apps as long as most of the Windows 10 ecosystem is filled with laptops and desktops which run complete Windows 10 OS. If 95% of the Windows 10 ecosystem is filled with devices which can run desktop apps, then what is the real incentive for a developer like Google to make Universal Apps? Now imagine if the Windows 10 RT laptops become popular, Google will be forced to make Universal Apps as users will not be able to use their services seamlessly like they can do on a full Windows 10 desktop now.

Here, one can ask the question why bother about Windows 10 RT laptops at all? If Microsoft can sell more smartphones, then Google will be forced to make Universal Apps similar to the above scenario. The answer is simple - many people will not buy Windows smartphones if there is no Snapchat, YouTube, Instagram, Tinder apps etc. So, it?s a catch 22 situation ? you want more Windows 10 smartphones to be sold but many won?t buy them until all the important apps are available. This is where Windows 10 RT Laptops can help. Unlike smartphones, people won?t use many apps on their laptop. For example, a customer may not worry about the missing Snapchat app on his laptop, but he will be definitely worried if the Snapchat is not available on his smartphone. Also, remember, unlike the smartphone industry which is extremely crowded, competitive and restrictive, market for cheap, fast and secure laptops is far less crowded and within the reach of Microsoft. To sum it up, Windows 10 RT laptops can help build a larger user base to attract development of Universal Apps than Windows 10 smartphones.

I have no intentions to argue or prove anyone wrong. I just mentioned my opinion. Please feel free to disagree :)

Don?t you like the idea of a sleek, fast, cheap, long lasting, secure & near zero maintenance laptops running Windows 10 RT? Don?t you believe they can give tough competition to Chromebooks and attract top developers to make Universal Apps?

Is there any news about Windows 10 RT laptops? Has Microsoft hinted about the possibility of such devices?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Your idea is based on a premise that "most of you know many companies aren’t too keen on developing Universal Apps" I think that conclusion is waaaay premature. Its a new idea and most new ideas has to be digested and budgeted. Much of what Satay and the Gang at Redmond have on their minds have not been disclosed but I do like the ideas for RT as several articles have already discussed the same propositions.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Most of the problem with the previous try at the RT OS was related to confusion. Like a consumer would by an RT device then try to install SimCity 2000 on it and find out that it wasn't compatible.

I think it could help, but they would need something even more distinguishing than calling it Windows Lite or Windows RT.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Your idea is based on a premise that "most of you know many companies aren’t too keen on developing Universal Apps" I think that conclusion is waaaay premature. Its a new idea and most new ideas has to be digested and budgeted. Much of what Satay and the Gang at Redmond have on their minds have not been disclosed but I do like the ideas for RT as several articles have already discussed the same propositions.

I just like imagining a piece of meat on a skewer making the decisions at Redmond. I know it is just a typo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satay

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the confusion alone will be a trainwreck and only contribute to the Store IF people buy them, but not necessarily the mobile side.

Full Windows tablets and laptops are already at pretty low prices as it is.

wininsider

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
There are windows mobiles in mid range prices but what is driving the people away from purchasing one is the "App gap" and competitive specifications of android devices from china(xiomi ) . Consumers dont really feel they get the bang for their buck .
Windows mobile lacks even a decent pdf reader/editor . It's evolving slowly when other platforms are near the end of their peek performance.

I will really buy the idea of the OP . Microsoft should push devices competitive to the chrome books as they have Surface books to compete with the high end Macs. This will force or accelerate the dev community to publish more UWP apps ,games .
Hope they will develop simcity 2000 equivalent game as a UWP instead of just a win32 app. @cracgor

MSFT should push the platform in midrange so many Devs can hop on.

Brilliant idea OP 👍 @xperiawindows

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I moved this to "Windows 10 Mobile" since I guess that's what the OP is talking about.
There are a lot of Windows notebooks already priced very low.

Isn't W10 an unparalleled success already?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what's being talked about here.

RT was a massive failure.
Users want the full Windows x86/64 bit experience from what I have seen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99