Can't buy anything in the Store with PayPal without a credit card?!?

deuxani

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So.... today I wanted to buy my first app (I've been living on free versions since I have my 920) and I wanted to do this with my PayPal account. I'm adding PayPal as payment method in the Windows Phone Store, I log in to PayPal via the store to complete the purchase and what does it say.............. I need to add a credit card to my PayPal account to complete the purchase!! Why is there a PayPal option if you still need a credit card to complete the payment?! It says the credit card won't be charged if I have enough money on my account (which I do), but I still am obliged to add it!!

I have never experienced this with any PayPal payment I have ever done. So now what? Microsoft doesn't want me to buy apps? This is really crazy or is there another solution I'm not seeing?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It's been so long since I opened my PayPal account, but isn't there something about verifying who you are? I take it you haven't done that, correct? Meaning your address and who you are? You add a credit card and they will deposit a couple of small credits on your account, like 8 cents and 4 cents. Then you verify the amount of the deposits. Something like that.

I am sure PayPal has their share of fraud (theft by trickery or deceit) Microsoft probably only wants to sell to verified accounts to avoid any type of fraud. That's my guess.

deuxani

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your response.

In my country it's not common to own a credit card and many people (like me) try to avoid to have to own one. I have owned this PayPal account for years and I transfer money to it through a bank transfer. So I have enough money on my PayPal account.... I can buy apps on my iPhone in the Cydia store... I can buy stuff on websites on the internet.... but when I try to buy an app in the Windows Phone Store that costs only 99 cents it prompts me to add my credit card to my PayPal account in case I run out of funds. So this means it's impossible to buy any app from the Store without owning a credit card. What is the use of PayPal then?

There is also an option for using Microsoft Gift Cards, but you can't buy them anywhere. This is really nuts if you ask me. Microsoft needs developers soooo badly for this platform, but yeah, if you can't even buy apps...........

deuxani

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Gift Cards would be a solution to this problem yes. I've also ordered a debit card at Moneybookers.com, let's hope that works or else I won't be able to buy apps. Really nice for all those developers :S

koehlo149

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
In the first place I had some problems with PayPal, too.
When I tried to add it as a payment methode I got the following error message (german):
Zurzeit k?nnen wir Ihre Anfrage leider nicht verarbeiten. Kehren Sie zu Microsoft Luxembourg S.?.r.l. zur?ck und w?hlen sie eine andere Option aus
May be something like this in english:
Currently, we can not process your request unfortunately. Return to Microsoft Luxembourg S.?.r.l. back and select another option

The problem was, that there wasn't enough money on the account (only 19€). After we some additional money on the account, it worked.
So make sure, that there are at least 25€ on your PayPal-account. Microsoft somehow seems to check if your PayPal-account exists by trying to debit 25€.

See this thread (sorry, in german only): Wie lade ich das Microsoft-Konto auf? - Microsoft Community

Rellik66

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Odd, Paypal is my only form of purchase on my 822, I don't recall having to add a credit/debit card to my phone. I can purchase stuff from the app store with Paypal just fine.

My debit/checking account is associated with my Paypal, and I downloaded the Paypal app. Either might be related.

bbqrooster

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I also don't have problem using Paypal to pay for apps on the phone. But I am in the US. The situation might be different in other parts of the world.

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue, you need to confirm your bank account, they will send 2 small amounts to your bank account and you need to submit those numbers in your paypal account. After these steps you can purchase apps with paypal without adding a creditcard.

After these steps i was able to purchase from my 920, W8 and Xbox 360 without probs.

Verstuurd van mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Wonderknul

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue, you need to confirm your bank account, they will send 2 small amounts to your bank account and you need to submit those numbers in your paypal account. After these steps you can purchase apps with paypal without adding a creditcard.

After these steps i was able to purchase from my 920, W8 and Xbox 360 without probs.

Verstuurd van mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

How do you do that?

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I will never get verified for my PayPal account nor will I ever use my debit card. expose my personal banking information to them is extremely risky imo. not that I don't trust paypal. but no company in the world can guarantee that they will never be hacked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo