Can't downgrade from 10166 to 8.1

Beppe Gissi

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I've installed W10M on my Lumia 630 and now I can't downgrade back to 8.1. Windows Phone Recovery Tool gives me an error after downloading the package, I also tried the older Lumia Software Recovery Tool but it also doesn't work. Any guesses?

(Phone isn't bricked, it still runs W10M)

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I've installed W10M on my Lumia 630 and now I can't downgrade back to 8.1. Windows Phone Recovery Tool gives me an error after downloading the package, I also tried the older Lumia Software Recovery Tool but it also doesn't work. Any guesses?

(Phone isn't bricked, it still runs W10M)
If your taking about an error when installing the windows recovery tool.I this problem s couple of months back and could only get it installed on another pc.Seems to be a problem somewhere in the os causing a conflict.I have the tool installed now on a refreshed version of windows on my laptop,but my advice to you is to use another machine to install the software

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting the same error. I'm using 10 but just wanted to go back to 8.1 for this weekend. The camera was slow, and the Start screen wouldn't load. I'm going to try another computer if I can get to one before going out of town, but oddly after attempting several times the phone is not slow any longer and the Start screen isn't glitching out anymore, so I might just leave it as is.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
If your taking about an error when installing the windows recovery tool.I this problem s couple of months back and could only get it installed on another pc.Seems to be a problem somewhere in the os causing a conflict.I have the tool installed now on a refreshed version of windows on my laptop,but my advice to you is to use another machine to install the software

I don't have another computer but I do have a partition with Windows 10 on it. Tried and failed with the same error. I get multiple errors throughout the process. When first trying to connect it fails with "Product code is empty" or something similar. After it connects, it then fails after a few seconds simply saying that the software installation failed.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm still stuck but I'm getting around alright. Managed to lose my phone during my bachelor party weekend but was able to lock and locate it with a Lyft driver (used my friend's phone).

So it is stable enough for all of that stuff too. I'm not even going to reset it for at least a week. Hopefully a new build comes out soon. Right before Win 10 I hope.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
You can run either tool (Windows Phone Recovery or Lumia Phone Recovery). Select the option that your phone isn't detected while your phone isn't connected. Soft-reset your phone by holding Volume Down and power. When the phone vibrates, plug it in and let the software detect your phone. The recovery tool should pick up your phone and allow you to reinstall the WP8.1 image.

netmann

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
you could also try to hard reset your phone, setting>about>reset your phone, and then use one of the recovery tools...

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
you could also try to hard reset your phone, setting>about>reset your phone, and then use one of the recovery tools...

I'm specifically avoiding it now since some apps are still in use and not available currently. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Good luck to anyone else rolling back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte