Can't we just turn off BitLocker before upgrading to Cyan?

toddpart

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
It occurred to me tonight that the only way BitLocker gets turned on is if my company's Exchange policy mandates it via policy when connecting my phone to my mailbox. If I'm wrong about that, then disregard the rest of this post....

So, instead of using the Nokia tool and downgrading to 8.0 before doing Cyan and 8.1 official can't I just remove my business account? Will that tune off BitLocker so I can add Cyan firmware without risk of the known bug? Then after official updates add the business account back to my 1020....seems like that would be simpler.

Anyone try this?

Last edited:

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
it's encryption software.
all system-wide encryption software requires a full hard-reset before they can be turned off (if at all)

toddpart

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
on
it's encryption software.
all system-wide encryption software requires a full hard-reset before they can be turned off (if at all)

Hmmm do you have a source for your statement? I know it's encryption software, but your comment doesn't ring true to me. For example, if I turn off Bitlocker on a Windows desktop I don't need to reinstall or initialize that disk before I can continue using it. What I don't know is how BitLocker is implemented in Windows Phone and whether or not the only trigger to turn it off/on is the addition or removal of a business mail account enforcing the encryption policy.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
hm I did a quick bing search but couldn't find any info :\
I thought I saw somewhere that a hard-reset is required to turn off/on encryption though..

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It occurred to me tonight that the only way BitLocker gets turned on is if my company's Exchange policy mandates it via policy when connecting my phone to my mailbox. If I'm wrong about that, then disregard the rest of this post....

So, instead of using the Nokia tool and downgrading to 8.0 before doing Cyan and 8.1 official can't I just remove my business account? Will that tune off BitLocker so I can add Cyan firmware without risk of the known bug? Then after official updates add the business account back to my 1020....seems like that would be simpler.

Anyone try this?

Unfortunately the answer really is still in the press release. If you have the DP installed you are currently blocked from the Cyan update. Although the problem was identified by the DP/Bitlocker difficulty, Microsoft is blocking all DP users from the update. Until they have a fix, which may or may not ever happen, the only way to the Cyan update is by rolling back the OS with the Nokia Recovery Tool. There are no workarounds that allow you to upgrade directly and people saying they did not downgrade first did so before the block was in place.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Really don't get the big deal. Roll back to windows phone 8 was relatively painless for me. Took less than 30 mins and another 15 or So to get cyan.

People act like they are being asked to roll back to windows phone 7.5

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm totally confused..so from what I'm reading, WE HAVE TO downgrade or we don't get the Cyan update. And say if I do downgrade, do I lose my Developer capabilities?

Sent from iCeborg's iPad.

Danjp

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Really don't get the big deal. Roll back to windows phone 8 was relatively painless for me. Took less than 30 mins and another 15 or So to get cyan.

People act like they are being asked to roll back to windows phone 7.5

I don't mind doing iI, but losing save data in a couple of games sucks, iI hope MS finds a fix before AT&T releases Cyan for the 1020.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm totally confused..so from what I'm reading, WE HAVE TO downgrade or we don't get the Cyan update. And say if I do downgrade, do I lose my Developer capabilities?

Sent from iCeborg's iPad.

What Developer capabilities? You can downgrade, update to Cyan and re-enable the Dev Preview. Granted, there wont be a new update in the DP yet.

Btw, I just did the downgrade to get Cyan and it was smooth.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Why would people be putting a Developer's Preview OS on a work phone anyway? This shouldn't even be an issue. What happened to the whole accepting responsibility for loading non official software.

I wonder why they didn't just send out emails to all the people signed up for the Dev Preview to warn them instead if blocking it for everyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb