Car dash mount for 1520?

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen a dedicated thread for this, so forgive me if one has been created.

Now that I'm back to the 1520, I'm going to have this bad boy for a long time, so I need to get a dashboard mount for my car. Do any of you have a mount that works well with the 1520? If so, can you please provide a link?

I ordered one through Amazon a while back, but it didn't fit AT ALL. I no longer trust descriptions on there, so I could use some real use case examples.

Thank you.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I personally always recommend the Brodit mounting solution, which consists of a bracket for the vehicle and a holder specifically designed for the device. These pair to form the mount. In the UK the reseller is http://www.dsldevelopments.com and I'm sure there is at least one in the US. I have their Lumia 1520 holder and it fits like a glove, and have also been very satisfied with their other holders. The mount in my car (a 2010 Mazda 3) means the phone is mounted immediately beside the steering wheel for very easy access - I don't have to take my hand off the wheel to use the phone.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The US distributor is Car Phone Holders and Dashboard Phone Mounts?-?ProClip USA

There is also Pro.Fit International - Producing Cell Phone Holders and Car Mounts with a professional fit

The Pro-Fit vehicle mounts attach with screws (usually to existing screws so no permanent modification is needed) vs. clipping on with double side tape like the Proclip mounts, but Pro-Fit doesn't have any device holders for Windows phones. Both use the AMPS mounting pattern so you can mix and match to find what is best for you. I have the Pro-Fit G3 mount in my truck and will probably get the Proclip device mount to use with it for whatever phone I get next.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I've also used and recommend the Procilps USA/Brodit mounts for the 1520. It is a large and heavy enough device to require a higher level of grip than lesser devices (!). The 1520 presents some additional challenges because of the size and weight and the variances in the cases and skins people are likely to use which throws off the otherwise precise tailoring of the mounts-to-device. So you have to do a little thinking through and Proclips customer service is generally good in responding to inquiries. In my case, I added to the degree of difficulty because I use an Incipio PMA charging case on the back of my 1520 which renders it unfit for the Proclips 1520 bracket. But they also make a strong-magnet universal bracket which works quite after fortifying the metal disk with crazy glue. There is also a reasonably priced and well made universal car mount called "Steelie" made by Nite/Ize that has an even smaller profile. Haven't tried it out yet myself though.

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I can't thank you guys enough for your input. I went with the one from the ProClip USA website and I can't wait to get it. It looks super sturdy, and if the pictures are accurate, it will be EXACTLY what I needed. I'll put up a few picture and post my thoughts after I get it in case someone else is thinking about getting one.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I can't thank you guys enough for your input. I went with the one from the ProClip USA website and I can't wait to get it. It looks super sturdy, and if the pictures are accurate, it will be EXACTLY what I needed. I'll put up a few picture and post my thoughts after I get it in case someone else is thinking about getting one.

No problem :) I'm sure it'll be exactly what you need! If I get around to it I'll take a few pictures of my setup.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
What car do you have? Which location did you get. I have the ProFit on my Silverado, and it puts the device kind of far away (beside the radio, but on the passenger side, if it was on driver's side it would be perfect). My only concern with the Proclip ones is the tape/snap fit with such a big device.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
What car do you have? Which location did you get. I have the ProFit on my Silverado, and it puts the device kind of far away (beside the radio, but on the passenger side, if it was on driver's side it would be perfect). My only concern with the Proclip ones is the tape/snap fit with such a big device.

I guess that's the disadvantage of having to use screw holes the manufacturer leaves! Though I think Brodit has some options for that area on more popular models.

I have a Mazda 3, and also had a Brodit kit on a Skoda before that, and on both vehicles I chose a mount point in front of the drivers side centre air vent. This is my preferred location as it is a very short reach with the hand which moves off the steering wheel most frequently. In fact the size of the 1520 means the phone is partially behind the indicator stalk, so I can't really tap the search key - though it is sufficiently far back that the stalk movement is not affected.

I will try and get some pictures later :)

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I've also got the ProClipUSA mounting bracket (2007 Prius - will mount just over the left/center air vent, to the left of the multi-function display unit) and the 1520 holder. Should be here tomorrow. I've already seen a similar setup for a Dodge minivan with the 1520 holder and the combination is quite sturdy. I was impressed enough to spend the ~$70 to get it for my car.

Note: You can use "SAVETEN" as a coupon code to save 10% at ProClipUSA.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, forgot to answer the second part of your post! The fact that there are no permanent fixings on the Brodit Proclip isn't something to worry about - the fit is custom to the car and is very tight/sturdy to the extent that it takes a while to trust it enough to give it the force needed to "stretch" it into the gaps. The end of the top part of the clip also has a sort of U shape, so it actually hooks over the cars dashboard plastic. There is very very little chance of it moving of its own accord.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I guess that's the disadvantage of having to use screw holes the manufacturer leaves! Though I think Brodit has some options for that area on more popular models.

I have a Mazda 3, and also had a Brodit kit on a Skoda before that, and on both vehicles I chose a mount point in front of the drivers side centre air vent. This is my preferred location as it is a very short reach with the hand which moves off the steering wheel most frequently. In fact the size of the 1520 means the phone is partially behind the indicator stalk, so I can't really tap the search key - though it is sufficiently far back that the stalk movement is not affected.

I will try and get some pictures later :)

Good to know. I also have a Mazda3.

I **** wit exactly zero accessories on the phone, so the fit with a case isn't a worry for my like a few others.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I am using the ProClip. It's ok. It was expensive and I had to of course remove the gel case I had, an then it destroyed my $30 zagg shields front and backs so, my phone is always bare, because I need to put it in the ProClip, which is very very tight.

Here is my post about it
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/253819-3.htm#post2316473

form this thread:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/253819-car-mount.html

I very much doubt you'll find any holder specifically made for any device will work with a case or additional bulk as the whole point is that they hold the phone securely and are moulded around the shape of the phone itself. As the majority of the non-iPhone/Galaxy population don't bother with cases (either through choice, lack of options or just not needing one) most of the time this isn't a problem.

Your only choice really is to get a generic holder if you don't want to have to remove the case. I don't know if one is even made that is big enough for the 1520 but if so its going to take either a huge chunk of your windscreen visibility or you're going to have to choose which part of your dashboard to lose!

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Good to know. I also have a Mazda3.

I **** wit exactly zero accessories on the phone, so the fit with a case isn't a worry for my like a few others.

Good choice! The only slight problem I have with the Mazda 3 clip (on a 2010 model) is that the device blocks the view of the radio LCD display from the drivers-eye position. Not a massive problem as you can look around it, but a little annoying and something to note.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Another vote for ProClip as far as the mount is concerned. The nice thing is that as long as you have that car, you cn use the basic mount for different phones or the same phone with different cases as you change. Here are the pics I posted in another thread...Incipio Feather case with Rockform mount on back as well as mating mount stuck to the ProClip mount.

View attachment 54767

View attachment 54768

View attachment 54769

View attachment 54770

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Good choice! The only slight problem I have with the Mazda 3 clip (on a 2010 model) is that the device blocks the view of the radio LCD display from the drivers-eye position. Not a massive problem as you can look around it, but a little annoying and something to note.

I actually have a different unit in mine. I have a 2006 model, which didnt have the aux input, so I had a different stereo thingy installed, so I should be free of that issue. I do miss the cool display, though.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I got it and installed it today. It's exactly what I needed! Very sturdy!
Same here! The 2007 Prius mount was incredibly easy to install. The phone holder is very snug but didn't seem to snag my InvisibleShield front or back protector. Time will show if that should ever become a problem.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Same here! The 2007 Prius mount was incredibly easy to install. The phone holder is very snug but didn't seem to snag my InvisibleShield front or back protector. Time will show if that should ever become a problem.

As long as the invisible shield is installed well and is smooth, and doesn't start to peel, you should be ok but I imagine its a tight fit!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss