Cellular Data not working except on IE

anon(6183039)

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a quite strange issue that is driving me crazy, litteraly.

The issue I am experiencing is that when using cellular data (4G) I can only seem to have internet connection in Internet Explorer (also Podcast app).

Every other app (Microsoft and 3rd pary apps - Skype, email+accounts, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Store, etc) are throwing connection error messages.

I have a brand new Lumia 930 up to dated (no developer preview). Date, Time and Region are set up properly. Have tried soft and hard reset.

Anyone could possible guess what the hell is going on? If it were just MS apps, I could tell that there were some MS side server issues, but it is affecting 3rd party apps also). On the other hand, If it were Hardware issue with LTE antenna/chipset I think I would not have connection at all. If it were my mobile provider issue, I think I wouldn't have any connection also.

One thing that I noticed is that if I force 3G as max. speed connection, everything works just OK. So it is clearly somnething to do with 4G.

Any ideas? I would appreciate as this behavior is driving me crazy!

Here are some screens.

4G Connection showing in IE (12Mbps down and 1.3Mbps up)
wp_ss_20140817_0002.jpg

This is when I try to add my MS account
wp_ss_20140817_0003.jpg

Trying to launch Facebook app
wp_ss_20140817_0004.jpg

Trying to launch Nokia Mix Radio
wp_ss_20140817_0005.jpg

Using Podcast App just fine
wp_ss_20140817_0006.jpg

anon(6183039)

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Could this be caused by "Data Sense" somehow?

Probably not as I have experienced this issue with data sense both turned off (ilimited) or 5Gb monthly plan (my actual data plan).

As of now my best bets are:

1) Hardware problem (everything Works fine until it connects to a 4G network. Than everything stops working even if it conects to a 3G network again. At that point, the only solution is to manually force 3g as the max. speed connection);

2) Mobile provider 4g coverage issue in my area (though they deny having any issues) that is messing with the reception.(i will try in another coverage area when I get to work).

For the tech guys over there: Is it possible that a hardware issue is affecting only 4g data reception? Maybe a faulty antenna.

Last edited:

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Very strange problem! What kind of 4G LTE signal are you getting? Is it weak, or spotty? Maybe its a signal issue and the signal is not strong enough to support those other services? It COULD be a hardware issue also, or a special sort of software issue, what exactly is Data Sense? Is that a program that helps to conserve data? COULD that be malfunctioning?

anon(6183039)

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Very strange problem! What kind of 4G LTE signal are you getting? Is it weak, or spotty? Maybe its a signal issue and the signal is not strong enough to support those other services? It COULD be a hardware issue also, or a special sort of software issue, what exactly is Data Sense? Is that a program that helps to conserve data? COULD that be malfunctioning?

4G signal strenth is good. Data sense is an app that helps to conserve data yes, but if it was malfunctioning (software issue) a hard erset should clear the problem. What is very strange is that IE (and podcast app) still working while any other app that is data dependent is not! Thta is strange.. If it was an antenna issue i suppose none of the apps would work.

zorb58

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue on a much smaller scale a few months ago. I could not sync my *.edu email address over LTE. Only over WiFi. I asked around and never got an answer from anyone involved (Verizon, my school, Microsoft). After a few weeks, it just worked again. My thinking is that it was Verizon blocking something very specific by accident. I'd start with your mobile operator, or just wait it out for a few days.

anon(6183039)

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar issue on a much smaller scale a few months ago. I could not sync my *.edu email address over LTE. Only over WiFi. I asked around and never got an answer from anyone involved (Verizon, my school, Microsoft). After a few weeks, it just worked again. My thinking is that it was Verizon blocking something very specific by accident. I'd start with your mobile operator, or just wait it out for a few days.

You were right man. I went to my mobile operator store and have a talk with their tech guy. He confirmed that some configurations were wrong and fixed it. Everything is working properly now!

Thanks for all help!

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Good to hear you got it sorted out. I know some folks at T-Mobile sometimes have an issue with certain websites due to some sort of content blocking that they sometimes have on accounts, and websites you would not necessarily expect get blocked, for example gambling sites, and some satire sites due to adult humor or language. This setting seems to get turned on quite often when you don't want it and they have to turn it off for you or walk you through turning it off on your profile on their website.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster