Changed Lumia 521 Case Color

exiva

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I got extremely bored with my White 521. So this is just a little something I've been working on since last night. It still needs work, but it's getting to where I want it.

j4MHWSNl.jpg

EYwTucVl.jpg

I didn't paint the case, the color is embedded in the actual case with dye. I'll write up the process if anyone's interested.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Now why would you paint that when there are external covers available?
Also I don't see any differences between the 2 images?

exiva

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Curious to know how you did the dye job -- would help me differentiate between the two 521's in our household.

Cheers.

You'll need a few things.

- Rit powdered Dye. Any color you want. According to their website you can make 500 colors by mixing them... I didn't try this.
- A pot you or your significant other wouldn't mind possibly having destroyed, or one of those disposable cooking trays you can buy at the grocery store
- White vinegar
- Dish soap
- Rubber gloves
- Chopsticks, or skewers or something to fish it out with.

Start by removing the foam rubber on the inside of the case. Set it aside somewhere safe, you'll want to put it back in the case. Stick it to the battery, that's fine.

Now, wash the case to remove any oils on the case. i like dawn and a old toothbrush for this. Wear gloves while you do it, so you don't add any oils. Rinse it off and set it aside.

Start to boil some water. Enough to cover the case, and then some. You want it to be completely submerged for an even color.

Get your prep area ready, with either the pot of water, or pour the water into the tray. Add the packet of dye (I've heard just a teaspoon will do, but go all out.) and mix with the chopsticks.

Add a few drops of the dish soap to break surface tension to make the case sink.

Add vinegar, start with a half a cup and mix it. You may need more. We'll see. The vinegar acts as a mild solvent and makes the plastic permeable to take the dye. You can also use acetone, but I think that might fully dissolve the case... It's pretty thin plastic.

Drop the case in, nokia logo side up. Push it down with the chopsticks if it won't stay down. It'll eventually stay on the bottom.

Let the case sit, for about a half hour. fish it out with the chopsticks (I always went through the camera hole) rinse it off and see if the dye is sticking.

If the dye rinses off, add more vinegar and repeat the process occasionally stirring the mixture.

All total, I let mine sit overnight. Just stop when you're happy with the color.

Tips:

- Some will say to keep the water hot by keeping it boiling to speed up the process. Don't. Room temperature water is fine. You'll melt the buttons on the side. My volume button is kind of melted now, but still works.
- The dye will stain things, like counter tops. so... be careful with it. Prep your area accordingly.

My next mod to the 521 is coming later this week. This might give a clue to it.

Last edited:

squid729

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
nice work on the dye job! bought 2 521's for my parents and i agree the white back cover is boring. i used the Incipio feather cases, 1 black and 1 cyan, to tell them apart. if i get up the nads i will track down a few spare cases and try a dye job just for fun. back in the day on eBay i sold about 7000 black faced zip drives that started as beige etc and i vinyl-dyed to black, so i'm a sucker for this kind of mod. thanks for writing it up! please report back on how durable it is over time. cheers!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99