Charging...wired or wireless?

Vertego

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Pros & cons?

I've never used wireless charging and have never had any problem using wired/USB charging.

Is there a real benefit to wireless charging? After all, I presume the charging pad still has to be plugged in/connected...by wire.

Mio_WP

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
The trick is to have more than one charging pad. Then the ease of just putting down the phone becomes overwhelming. I only connect my phone to download images and upload music.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
From my own use the benefit of wireless charging is purely convenience. You don't have to find a cable and plug it in. Its really as simple as that.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Wired because of portability, speed, efficiency, the ability to sync and transfer files while doing so, the fact that I can use it while charging easily...

Wireless because of laziness.

If my 620 had wireless charging, I'd use it every day, nay, every time I charge!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the wireless charging pad for my 920 right on my bedside table. It really IS convenient after almost falling asleep reading something on the phone, to roll over and just lay the phone on the pad (without having to grab the end of a plug and find the hole).
With that said, I am currently in the market for the wireless charging "shell" for my new sexy yellow 1020!

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Have both. I use wired for when i charge my phone before sleeping and wireless for when i need to boost up my battery during the day

sent from within the depths of my brain

Vertego

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

So, wireless is more convenient but that's about it.

My BlackBerry approach was to plug in and charge when I got up - 5.30am - always 100% by time I left for office an hour later. Then to plug in and charge again when I got home about 12 hours later. Rarely did the charge drop below 60%. I've always got either a USB cable and/or mains charger with me.

To go wireless here in the UK works out at about ?20 for the back and another ?50+ for the wireless pad so I think I will probably pass on that, unless I can come up with a compelling reason to lose the wires.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Wired Pros:
- More efficient
- can connect to computer
Wired Cons:
- have to fiddle with the connector
- phone is tethered, can be moved by cable (not a big problem)

Wireless Pros:
- the sheer cool-factor
- convenience, not having to fiddle with a cable, especially in the dark, just drop and pick up at your leisure
- becomes really cool when multiple chargers are placed strategically
Wireless Cons:
- Less efficient
- More heat

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

So, wireless is more convenient but that's about it.

My BlackBerry approach was to plug in and charge when I got up - 5.30am - always 100% by time I left for office an hour later. Then to plug in and charge again when I got home about 12 hours later. Rarely did the charge drop below 60%. I've always got either a USB cable and/or mains charger with me.

To go wireless here in the UK works out at about ?20 for the back and another ?50+ for the wireless pad so I think I will probably pass on that, unless I can come up with a compelling reason to lose the wires.

You can get a dt-900 wireless charger from londonmagicstore for 30gbp

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Is there a real benefit to wireless charging? After all, I presume the charging pad still has to be plugged in/connected...by wire.

Yes, the charger has to be plugged in. The charger doesn't magically produce electricity

The benefit is the ability to simply lay your phone on the pad and be done with it. The less plugging in and unplugging you can do, the less likely chance of doing damage to your usb port.

wpeightuser

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Thinking about the 925 how does the charging back look and does it add a lot of thickness. I already have the charging pad and the 910 to use glance at bedside.

About as thick as an iPhone with the charging back. It does get hot while charging. I wish it was magnetized like the Palm phones. If you can afford it, it's worth it not having to worry about breaking off the USB connector. I'll probably end up with one for work, and one for the car!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel