Choosing Between Three Hybrids...Help and Opinions

touchthatpad106

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
So I am looking to replace my 3 year old Gateway Laptop. It is an I3 processor with 4GB of memory. I do not use it for much more than internet browsing and work mostly. Part of the reason I do not use it though is because its just so much easier to use a tablet. However there are a lot of things that just do not work well on a tablet (Android, IOS, or RT) and are easier on a traditional computer. Which is why I want a hybrid. With Windows 8 and an app store, I may do more and use it differently compared to how I use it now. I own a Nexus 7 and have an HTC One so my tech devices are pretty good. Whatever one I decide to go with I plan on keeping it for 3 to 4 years. I am currently looking between the Surface Pro 2, and Sony VAIO 11.6. This is where I stand on each model.

HP X2- I love the look and feel of the HP X2 and the battery life is great. It also has beats. However it is already a year old and the specs are not as good as the other two. It is the cheapest model.
Surface Pro 2- Is future proofed, has the best internals. Is expensive and that is not even including a keyboard.
Sony VAIO 11.6- Seems like the best overall, however its internal specs are really disappointing for the price. I love that it has an IR blaster though and WPcentral gave it a fantastic review. It looks solid overall.

What would you suggest in this situation? Am I missing one that may be better? What other features would you consider between the 3 models?

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I think it sounds like you're down to "personal preference" which none of us can answer for you.
Me, I've got a SP2, but I rarely use the keyboard, use it a lot for drawing and inking. I like that I can take it anywhere and use it anywhere - can't imagine taking the HP with keyboard, but I've never had a proper laptop (desktop or tablet for me).
I just moved on from a Samsung Series 7 Slate - I really liked the size (11.6) and thought the SP2 was too small, until I had it. Now I prefer the slightly smaller size. More portable, slips in my bag easier.
FWIW, I'm female, my hands aren't all that big.

thejoyofsobe

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Any reason the Dell Venue 11 Pro isn't on the list?

If you like the current HP X2 have you looked at the upcoming HP Spectre 13 X2?

If you're a student, staff or faculty you can get a 10% discount with Sony online and there's a $50 off sale on the Sony Tap 11 through Nov 9 so you could get the i7 upgrade which is clocked faster than the Surface Pro 2 about not too much more than the Surface Pro 2 with Type Cover 2. Plus it's 5% cashback if you have a Discover Card and Sony's also offering 5x reward points. You're not going to match the Surface Pro 2 in 3D graphics performance as its HD4400 is superior to the HD4200 in the Tap 11.
ARK | Compare Intel? Products

touchthatpad106

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
@hot dawg I wouldn't say I made up my mind at all. Part of me thinks I can get by with something that has lower specs because I really don't do anything that intense on my computer. However the other part of me is saying I am going to have this for 3-4 years I'm going to want something with good specs.
@thejoyofsobe Thanks for pointing out the Dell tablets. I wouldn't consider the 8inch but the 11 is nice and is a good price. The HP is a little to big IMO. I'm looking for 10.6-13.0inches tops.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deadpool7788