Clean installing windows 10 on laptop full of bloatware.

waddupsam

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
So basically I own a Vaio Pro 13 which is the laptop of my dreams, if not only for the bloatware. Since it runs 8.1 and update to 10 is right around the corner I was wondering if Ill be able to somehow clean install windows 10 on it. Is this possible? Can I somehow get the serial key to windows 10 copy so I can install it from USB-stick and start on a clean plate? Thank you for helping:cool:!

owensdj

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
From what I've heard you'll need to do an in-place upgrade from 8.1 to 10 to take advantage of the free upgrade to 10 offer. After you do the upgrade you can do as many clean re-installs as you wish.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Clean installing and removing bloatware is actually easier in Windows 10. Simply upgrade the machine, go to settings --> reset --> wipe entire drive (or whatever its called), then wait. Windows creates a bloat free image made from the system files and removes anything preinstalled.

instantk

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Clean installing and removing bloatware is actually easier in Windows 10. Simply upgrade the machine, go to settings --> reset --> wipe entire drive (or whatever its called), then wait. Windows creates a bloat free image made from the system files and removes anything preinstalled.
Would reset remove viruses also?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Would reset remove viruses also?

In theory, yes. I don't know if its possible, but I suppose there's a very small chance that if you got a virus that somehow infected system files and could trick Windows into using them while making a new image, then you could be stuck (that being said, just download an ISO from Microsoft and you'd be fine) with a virus on your computer, but I'd say for the vast majority of problems, it'll wipe out everything.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

This is unfortunately not always true. I've had HP devices with bloatware included in the recovery partition, which Windows uses to do the reset.

I don't know how other manufacturers configure the recovery partition, but it's pretty easy for OEMs to stuff whatever they want in there.

The only way to be 100% guaranteed bloatware free is a clean install from an MS ISO.

OP:

After your initial upgrade to W10, you no longer require a serial key to do a clean install. MS stores the hardware signature of your machine and the associated W10 license key in the cloud.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
This is unfortunately not always true. I've had HP devices with bloatware included in the recovery partition, which Windows uses to do the reset.

I don't know how other manufacturers configure the recovery partition, but it's pretty easy for OEMs to stuff whatever they want in there.

The only way to be 100% guaranteed bloatware free is a clean install from an MS ISO.

OP:

After your initial upgrade to W10, you no longer require a serial key to do a clean install. MS stores the hardware signature of your machine and the associated W10 license key in the cloud.

Not in Windows 10. Microsoft is changing how it Refreshes and Resets machines. Now, if you choose the right setting, Windows builds a clean ISO from system files.

Ed Bott explains the difference between Windows 8 and Windows 10's Reset here

http://www.zdnet.com/article/with-build-10122-windows-10-finally-starts-coming-together/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo