Confession: I get jealous of other UIs

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I was watching a video comparing Android L and iOS 8 because I like to peek at what the other platforms are doing. Both platforms are getting some cool new features but that's not what impressed me the most. It was how the OS itself operated. Essentially, how one navigates between the different menus and apps. It just seemed like there's always some neat little thing you can do with the UI. Even BlackBerry 10 has its own unique and fun quirks. It makes me wish Windows Phone had a few more UI quirks of its own.

...but then I keep watching the videos

And everything that seemed cool and fun starts to look like a chore. iOS, despite the new tweaks, still looks boring and bland. I use iPads at work and the UI is simply lifeless. Android L looks bogged down with constant swipes. Google has really tried to fix the "kitchen sink" feel of Android but I doubt Google can ever completely eliminate it. It's a better looking UI than before but, IMO, it still looks cluttered and unpleasing.

I think that's why I still love Windows Phone's UI so much. I can create a start screen that's highly customized to my personality and needs while also eliminating unnecessary swipes. It's quick, easy, efficient and clean. There's no guessing or trying to remember where an app/setting is at. I can let the UI handle that for me. That is still one of Windows Phones biggest strengths to me. You can make the start screen simple, you can make it crazy, you can make it boring, but you're never stuck with it.

Unless you hate the whole tile concept, then yeah, you're kinda stuck with it. :winktongue:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think Windows Phone's UI is a happy medium between iOS and Android.

I really appreciate WP8.1 (especially with Dev Preview Update 1) even more during the brief time I had 8.0 back on when reverted to do the Cyan update on Thursday. WP8 was pretty boring, with the Live Tiles being about the only nice look, since backgrounds were so limited. That reminds me of iOS in a way. Even the newest iOS still has a boring and bland feel to it.

You're right about Android. It does allow everything but the kitchen sink, but that does seem to slow things down, especially if one doesn't remember where everything is or how to open/close it.

With the ability to use customized backgrounds, different size tiles, and Live Folders, I've gotten enough customization in WP8.1 to personalize it to my liking without making it cluttered, clunky and difficult to use.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
You have to admit, though, the Settings page on Windows Phone is a little bit of a disaster. They keep adding new stuff in there, which is great, but I'm really looking forward to some kind of effort to organize and clean things up.

I would like to see them implement a left-edge swipe for multi-tasking instead of the long-press on the back button. It would be consistent with Windows 8, and I find that feels much faster- especially if you're just jumping between two apps. Maybe just make that optional or a second way to do it. Someone else here suggested this months ago and I mocked him. But after using a DV8Pro for six months I have to say I love the edge-swipe. The HTC One W8 already incorporated a bottom swipe to access the on-screen back/start/search buttons, so why not take the next step?

The one little thing that drives me absolutely crazy is when I can't see the full names of files in the Office app; they're in this large font that just runs off the page! Let me talk or long-press so I can see the full name.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and I have to just laugh when people complain that a random start screen is too busy. Duh. Just make the whole thing small tiles and you'll have a nice bland start screen like iOS. :p

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I pretty much agree with the OP. My favorite mobile OS for UI look and feel is WP. My least liked is iOS. On android I've gotten to the point where I MUST have Aviate launcher installed because I'm too bored with the standard stock style of Android's home screens. I used to be an avid themer on android but I got burned out spending hours mucking around to make satisfactory layouts that I found functional as well as fast and visually appealing. Aviate took care of that in 5 minutes on first install. I can never go back now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077