Congratulations Microsoft! I switched.

Renoktation

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
Today, the platform is doomed, the store is on life support, products are cancelled on a daily basis and it all seems like the Titanic is about to sink from consumer's perspective. New products like Surface Pro X has got a very bad start & it shows that the company has not learnt from it's mistakes.

But instead of sinking with this ship, I have decided to switch. Already placed an order for a Nokia smartphone running Android One. I tried to stick as long as possible but I think it is time now with less than 20 days left for official support to end, WhatsApp will be going too, who knows, people app may stop working.

This is a message to all the WP fans. Make the switch. Hope to see you all on Android Central.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
It's honestly kind of sad. MS at this point was in the best position to give Google and Apple a run for their money in the Mobile OS space. It's going to take either a good software development team with lots of capital (looking at you MS) or an OS that will shake up the entire mobile platform to do this. With MS bowing out, I guess we will have to wait for the innovation that will change the world.

Renoktation

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
It's honestly kind of sad. MS at this point was in the best position to give Google and Apple a run for their money in the Mobile OS space. It's going to take either a good software development team with lots of capital (looking at you MS) or an OS that will shake up the entire mobile platform to do this. With MS bowing out, I guess we will have to wait for the innovation that will change the world.

Someone somewhere is definitely working on something that will push the limits of our "possibilities". I am damn sure about that.
I don't think money is going to play any role here. Even a simple algorithm of few pages can change everything. That's the power of software.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's also unfortunate that Symbian never took off in the USA market. I had the Nokia E62 back in 2006, followed by the Nokia E71 in 2009. I never saw anyone else who owned those, but I knew they were very popular in Europe. I knew nothing about Windows Mobile in 2012, when I got the Nokia Lumia 900,but I knew the Nokia brand.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It's also unfortunate that Symbian never took off in the USA market. I had the Nokia E62 back in 2006, followed by the Nokia E71 in 2009. I never saw anyone else who owned those, but I knew they were very popular in Europe. I knew nothing about Windows Mobile in 2012, when I got the Nokia Lumia 900,but I knew the Nokia brand.
There was a following here, but not at the level Nokia wanted. T mobile had the 6600, 5800 Xpress music and the E72; Cingular had the E61, E71x. I owned an E63 - ugly as all hell but that keyboard and battery life was so beautiful. Also had a white and silver E71 that my ex at the time allowed to get stolen in Mexico City on a sabbatical. I enjoyed the N79 as well. I plan to get a N86 8MP for the collection too.

I suspect it was typical Nokia where it wasn't evolved the right way once the onslaught of touch devices from Apple and Android started to take hold. Plus at the time, lots of people were still on feature phones that were cheap and utter trash. The business people owned mostly Blackberry and Windows and Palm devices.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I hope you enjoy your new Nokia phone! Sadly I made the switch to Android some time ago. At least now have the Surface Duo to look forward to.

Renoktation

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
It's has been only a day and the UI of Android feels so dated as compared to W10M. Trying to limit its use as much as possible. Still dependent on L950 for News, Outlook, camera and other minor stuffs.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's has been only a day and the UI of Android feels so dated as compared to W10M. Trying to limit its use as much as possible. Still dependent on L950 for News, Outlook, camera and other minor stuffs.
You'll get used to it. I switched to Android back in March 2015,and it only took me about a week to forget I ever used Windows Mobile.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Congratulations indeed. Some of us came to this conclusion 3 years ago.

Tried Android for 2 years. Didn’t like it. Moved on to Apple. Could not be happier. Windows phone is now just a bad memory.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Congratulations indeed. Some of us came to this conclusion 3 years ago.

Tried Android for 2 years. Didn’t like it. Moved on to Apple. Could not be happier. Windows phone is now just a bad memory.
well it did save us WP diehards money by holding on our Lumia's xD .
Iphones are great but also expensive as fu*ck if you want a good camera and screen etc. ;)
While Android is expensive to in the long run if you value fast security updates (besides the obvious privacy issues).

J Dubbs

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
I hope you enjoy your new Nokia phone! Sadly I made the switch to Android some time ago. At least now have the Surface Duo to look forward to.

Give the Duo a few years to shrink and come down in price and we'll have the rumoured surface phone. If they can make it affordable and more reliable and less buggy than WM I'll give it another shot ;-)

J Dubbs

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
You'll get used to it. I switched to Android back in March 2015,and it only took me about a week to forget I ever used Windows Mobile.

It took me less than that...... the live tiles never did much for me, and that was the only thing that gave W10M any edge over Android imo. WM fought me tooth and nail the whole time we used it on every phone, all the way from 8 to 10. I hated it on my wife's phone at the end. I jumped for joy when she finally said "I'm sick of all these problems, get me an Android phone". So we just recently retired her "flagship" Alcatel Idol4s. What an expensive piece of crap that was :-[

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Give the Duo a few years to shrink and come down in price and we'll have the rumoured surface phone. If they can make it affordable and more reliable and less buggy than WM I'll give it another shot ;-)

Here's hoping MS keep the Duo alive that long!

It took me less than that...... the live tiles never did much for me, and that was the only thing that gave W10M any edge over Android imo. WM fought me tooth and nail the whole time we used it on every phone, all the way from 8 to 10. I hated it on my wife's phone at the end. I jumped for joy when she finally said "I'm sick of all these problems, get me an Android phone". So we just recently retired her "flagship" Alcatel Idol4s. What an expensive piece of crap that was :-[

I actually found the live tiles on W10M very useful, but it's down to personal experience. Hopefully you are both now enjoying Android.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Here's hoping MS keep the Duo alive that long!

I actually found the live tiles on W10M very useful, but it's down to personal experience. Hopefully you are both now enjoying Android.
The Live Tiles were great for me when they worked. The problem is many failed to update.

Renoktation

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
It took me less than that...... the live tiles never did much for me, and that was the only thing that gave W10M any edge over Android imo.

I will disagree. WP was much more than Live Tiles. Android today has evolved a lot but when you will compare Android from 2010 to 2016 with WP, you will realise that WP was way ahead in terms of core OS functionality.

1. File manager of WP8.1 and W10M was way better. Even today, file manager of W10M is way better than Android 9 (stock).

2. UI of W10M was more intuitive and clean than Android, be it settings menu, start screen, internet sharing option, action centre, notification centre, quick reply to notifications, multitasking feature, search option etc.

3. W10M offered regular security updates and feature updates. We all know the state of security & privacy on Android.

4. UWP and scalability. You will understand the importance of this when you try to mirror your Android phones screen on laptop or bigger screen. Most apps don't scale and look ugl.
Using apps that can be used on tablets, desktops, phones, mixed reality headsets is a really remarkable feature.

The only problem was lack of apps.

Live tiles and start screen could have improved had Microsoft not decided to kill this platform. Still it was bold approach.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I will disagree. WP was much more than Live Tiles. Android today has evolved a lot but when you will compare Android from 2010 to 2016 with WP, you will realise that WP was way ahead in terms of core OS functionality.

1. File manager of WP8.1 and W10M was way better. Even today, file manager of W10M is way better than Android 9 (stock).

2. UI of W10M was more intuitive and clean than Android, be it settings menu, start screen, internet sharing option, action centre, notification centre, quick reply to notifications, multitasking feature, search option etc.

3. W10M offered regular security updates and feature updates. We all know the state of security & privacy on Android.

4. UWP and scalability. You will understand the importance of this when you try to mirror your Android phones screen on laptop or bigger screen. Most apps don't scale and look ugl.
Using apps that can be used on tablets, desktops, phones, mixed reality headsets is a really remarkable feature.

The only problem was lack of apps.

Live tiles and start screen could have improved had Microsoft not decided to kill this platform. Still it was bold approach.

All of this is valid, and ultimately, as you say, the lack of apps killed the platform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)