Connecting to linkedin with two factor authentication

Quitch

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
So I've run into a problem I can't solve.

I'd connected my Microsoft account to LinkedIn, but since enabling two-factor authentication it wants me to do it again. Problem is part of this process involves inputting a code received via SMS, but if I switch to the Messaging page to get the code I am booted back to the accounts list rather than the "enter the code" page, and when I go back through the connection process to use the code I am sent... a new code.

I cannot find a way (which doesn't involve a second phone) of collecting and entering this code, and therefore am unable to link to my Linkedin account.

Is there any way to make this work?

Need4Geek

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me when I was setting up SkyDrive. Try to put your Windows Phone in landscape mode so you can read the verification code when the toast notification pops up.

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
1) install the authenticator app (from MS) on your phone.
2) go to live.com and link the authenticator app to your ms account
3) run the app on your phone and take note of the number
4) go to the 3rd party app (in this case linkedin) on your phone and login

hope this helps
F

Quitch

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
How will that help? The authenticator is linked to my Microsoft account, but it's LinkedIn asking for the code, and LinkedIn use SMS codes for authentication not the authenticator I have linked to my Microsoft account.

Quitch

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
No, the code is from LinkedIn as you are logging into your account from an unknown device. This is verified by the e-mail which also comes from LinkedIn telling you this. The SMS also identifies itself as a LinkedIn code. The reason I have to relink my account is because I enabled two-factor authentication on my LinkedIn account.

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
sorry, then
the only thing i can think of is to add the linkedin sms number to your contacts and give it a very short name like A

hopefully that will save enough characters that the toast will be able to show the code, without needing to resort to landscape

hope this is more useful

f

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
No, the code is from LinkedIn as you are logging into your account from an unknown device. This is verified by the e-mail which also comes from LinkedIn telling you this. The SMS also identifies itself as a LinkedIn code. The reason I have to relink my account is because I enabled two-factor authentication on my LinkedIn account.

I recently did this on my 720. I don't recall having a problem. From what I remember I opened the messaging app first, then went to the account settings to do the linking. When the message came I long-pressed on the back button and selected the messaging app, got the code then long-pressed back again and selected the window to enter the code.

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I recently did this on my 720. I don't recall having a problem. From what I remember I opened the messaging app first, then went to the account settings to do the linking. When the message came I long-pressed on the back button and selected the messaging app, got the code then long-pressed back again and selected the window to enter the code.

I've got same problem on my 920. Tried this approach, but when I when I long press to return to account settings to enter the validation code, it flips me to the account list. Really frustrating, because screen shows the account setup page requesting validation code entry - as soon as I select it to open - bam I'm back to start of accounts list.

Seems like the only way to connect LinkedIn to Microsoft account is to have 2 factor authentication turned off in LinkedIn. Really don't want to do that if I can avoid it. I'm just coming over from Android, and this is first bug I've seen where WP is definitely lacking.

Quitch

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I resolved this by logging into my Microsoft account on my computer and fixing the connection there. This then appears to propagate to my phone.

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I resolved this by logging into my Microsoft account on my computer and fixing the connection there. This then appears to propagate to my phone.

Thanks! I did same and it worked for me too. One thing that surprised me - using this approach, I never got asked for validation code for LinkedIn, even though I have 2 factor authentication turned on!

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
One thing that surprised me - using this approach, I never got asked for validation code for LinkedIn, even though I have 2 factor authentication turned on!

You wouldn't if the computer you were using was a 'trusted' device for you LinkedIn account.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion