Cortana has become useless for me

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Cortana was never highly useful, to me, but it has been going downhill for some time.

Hey Cortana went away, way back, and has never reappeared. This is ridiculous!

Today, I brought up Cortana and said "set a timer for 10 minutes" she replied "I'm sorry, but I can't help with that yet".

Seriously!? Now she cannot even set a timer? This is beyond ridiculous.

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
there had been a lot of changes with cortana since the first of the year. it is getting away from consumer oriented to focus on business. There are a lot of features that will no longer work with it. You should be able to use alexa on your win10 computers to do what cortana used to do. check the microsoft store for it if interested.

Last edited:

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
My favorite Cortana feature was one of the first to be disabled, location-based actions. I used it to turn off sounds when arriving at some places I went to on a regular schedule. I think Cortana's peak was at its launch. It has been a long downhill slide since then.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Cortana was never highly useful, to me, but it has been going downhill for some time.

Hey Cortana went away, way back, and has never reappeared. This is ridiculous!

Today, I brought up Cortana and said "set a timer for 10 minutes" she replied "I'm sorry, but I can't help with that yet".

Seriously!? Now she cannot even set a timer? This is beyond ridiculous.

She still handles timers simply and effectively on my Lumia 950. I always say please :love:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
She still handles timers simply and effectively on my Lumia 950. I always say please

Just a few days ago my wife asked Google Assistant to set a timer, and she added "please!" She was amused when GA replied with something like "Thank you for the kind words!"

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
Just a few days ago my wife asked Google Assistant to set a timer, and she added "please!" She was amused when GA replied with something like "Thank you for the kind words!"

both alexa and google will respond to thank you, please and other polite phases.

RalphieD

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I still have four Invokes plugged in and so some things with it but now have three Alexa devices too. Cortana and the Invoke was so ahead when it first came out but no support from MicroSoft. I must say using Alexa now, it is so much better between what it can do and how it responds.

Also so sad when you touch the top and listen to what Cortana has to say :(

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
What irritates me most lately is Cortana keeps popping up all day long despite no one saying "hey Cortana". What is even worse is Microsoft apparently isn't filtering out what is being sent through the computers speakers so Cortana hears everything being said through the speakers. When I was in a MS teams meeting the other day Cortana kept popping up and trying to answer things people on the call were saying. So like every 5 minutes they kept hearing Cortana say "Sorry, I can't help with that yet"

The other thing that is broken, is that when she does open up and can't help anyway, about 10% of the time, that dialog box doesn't have a close X icon, so it just sits over top of my other windows until I reboot..

Such a terrible waste given how good Cortana was back in the WP 8.1 days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99