Cortana meets Alexa

BobPro2

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
We got an Invoke for Xmas and parked it in the kitchen where she has been very helpful and fun. Hue lights were added also. Two little issues. First, since it is on my MS account any calendar entries are only on my calendar. Second, If we are in the living room and want to turn on the Hue lights we must get up and go to the kitchen.
We just got an Echo Dot and now we have Alexa in the living room. We use Alexa with my wife's Amazon Prime account so she keeps my wife's calendar. If we want to turn on the Hue lights, we just ask Alexa to open Cortana. Both issues resolved and it works great.

KrayMat

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
A workaround for the calendar is to "share" your calendar (in outlook.com settings) with her. Then she will see it and can update it on her devices as well. We did this with our invoke when we had it set up with my wife's MS account, but she just can't get away from a basic hand written calendar on the fridge... old school, so we put my account on there because I use the crap out of reminders and exchange calendars. I also shared wunderlists with her so we can both see when things are added from invoke. It is super irritating that we cant have two voice profiles and two accounts like every other digital assistant, but the only thing we are really missing right now is shared reminders. Other than that our invoke works great with our TP link kasa outlets, Honeywell thermostat and music. and I can pull up alexa for our Rachio sprinkler system and netgear router skills. One thing I wish is that it could "drop-in" or call our echo dot in the bedroom and vice-versa.

BobPro2

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Good stuff KrayMat, thanks for the info. Alexa can be better at some things and Cortana at others. It's great to have them both able to work together. I still marvel at Cortana when she reminds me to get certain things as I drive into the Lowes home store or Ace Hardware parking lot. If there are multiple locations she will ask which one by address when I set the reminder. Love it.

tflash

Aug 23, 2017
Visit site
This is what I hope will happen if I put an Alexa speaker, a Cortana device, and a Google Home in the same room.

From Alexa: Hey Cortana, I'd like to introduce you to a new friend. Hey Cortana, Please meet my neighbor Google. Hey Cortana, I'm sorry she doesn't have a real name, but you can refer to her by the company that made her. Hey Cortana, I don't really get along with my neighbor, but maybe you two will get along so that everything you hear will be known by Google and vice versa.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb