Cortana Natural Language Queries - Feedback (Will go to Dev Team)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrodoBaggins

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Tiny bit of a different issue:

Region/Language: US English
Exact Phrase Spoken: Remind me when I get to work to film the promotional video
Did Cortana parse this correctly: yes
Expected Results: Cortana will remind me when I get to work
Actual Results: Cortana reminded me at home
Feedback: I live about 700 meters from my work, and I mostly walk there. Cortana reminded me when I was at home. Don't know if much can be done about the Geo Fence Boundary and GPS accuracy, just putting it out there.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Region/Language: US
Exact Phrase Spoken: Open Spotify
Did Cortana parse this correctly: Yes
Expected Results: Cortana following me into the app. I saw this on a fake leaked demo, but it was a good idea. It was done with maps. Consider this idea.
You tell Cortana to "Open Spotify"
Spotify opens.....
She then considers previous listening's.
Makes a suggestion or two..... (Possibly artist, album, or song)
You tell her "The first one".
She plays the music and you carry on with whatever ....
She remains thinking with the app or you can ask her to exit.
A bit much for now, but the possibilities with a person with busy hands.
Actual results: Opens Spotify

anon(5352534)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Exact Phrase Spoken: Do not disturb me for next two hours
Expected Results: activate do not disturb mode for two hours (silent ringing and notifications)
Actual Results: Searched bing for 'Do not disturb me for next two hours'
Feedback: It would be great to activate do not disturb mode for naps, meetings, classes rather than putting the phone on silent.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Region/Language: US/English
Exact Phrase Spoken: "Turn on WIFI when I get home"
Did Cortana part this correctly: Yes
Expected Results: To automatically turn on WIFI when I reach home.
Actual Results: A reminder is created to "turn on WIFI" when I reach home.
Feedback: Cortana is able to turn on WIFI on command; it should also be able to do so at a certain time or trigger.

anon(5352534)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Exact Phrase Spoken: What is the current time in London
Expected Results: Cortana tells/displays the current local time for any location given (city, country)
Actual Results: Searched bing for 'Current local time in London'
Feedback: This is straightforward. It is much easier to ask cortana about different time zones rather than keeping track of all clocks in some app..

Chemilinski

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Region/Language: USA, English (US)

Exact Phrase Spoken: This was a two part dialogue:
Me: "Where am I?"
Cortana: "I'm not quite sure, but you seem to be at ..." (she was exactly correct, to the house number even)
Me: "Set this as home."
(I also tried again with a variety of different phrasings, 'Save this to places', 'Add this to my favourites' - all resulted in a Bing search, apart from once as shown below)

Did Cortana parse this correctly: No
Expected Results: For my current location to be saved to Places and saved as 'Home', for which there was none set at the time
Actual Results: Cortana: "Maybe the information below will help."
wp_ss_20140418_0003.png
(There was no information below, I have no idea what she was referring to, and you can see that speech recognition was correct)

Feedback: Cortana needs to be able to save a location that has been asked about to Places, rather than just suggesting them herself for either work or home.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
[NOTE]This thread isn't for any sort of chit chats or solution of making something work with Cortana. OP has specifically requested on a set format and MOST users have followed this format throughout the thread. This has helped OP a lot in collating this information and passing on further as intended. Can we please ONLY put information as required. Any other ideas/suggestions/solutions that you think may help a fellow members, please try and use PM and message them directly. [/NOTE]

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Exact Phrase Spoken: set up a meeting with Jon tomorrow at 3PM
Expected Results: Calendar update with Jon as invited through .ics
Actual Results: Calendar update with no invite
Feedback: Cortana should recognize a contact as a meeting attendee and send the attendee meeting request through email if contact has email specified if not, send through sms

vitor.rf

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Region/Language: USA/English (But I'm from Brazil)
Exact Phrase Spoken: Cancel My appointments for tomorrow
Did Cortana parse this correctly: Yes.
Expected Results: She cancelling the appointments on calendar, plus showing a list of them. Would be even nicer if she wished a nice day-off or something.
Actual Results: She just shows the appointments
Feedback: It would be nicer if Cortana could have a greater control and understading of appointments

Exact Phrase Spoken: Call my aunt
Did Cortana parse this correctly: Yes.
Expected Results: Call my aunt, which is in inner circle AND has her nickname set as "Aunt"
Actual Results: She asks who I want to call
Feedback: She gets my mom, my brother, but not my aunt, I can't imagine why. PLUS, one of the things I REALLY aprecciate about her, is that we can use Cortana with headphones, when she is in a bag/purse/pocket, so just showing things on screen is useless, she needs to read the information aloud. Sometimes she reads/parses contacts' name so wrong I can't help but to repeat until she gets it right.

Exact Phrase Spoken: Turn Quiet Hours On, Quiet hours on, Turn quiet hours on for the next hour, Cortana, turn quiet hours on
Did Cortana parse this correctly: 80% of the time
Expected Results: Actual command
Actual Results: Bing searches. Bing searches everywhere. Even with the last one.
Feedback: It should just work, it's a Cortana feature that doesn't work with Cortana. And I'm really shocked she Bing'd herself

Exact Phrase Spoken: Turn Quiet Hours On, Quiet hours on, Turn quiet hours on for the next hour, Cortana, turn quiet hours on
Did Cortana parse this correctly: 80% of the time
Actual Results: Bing searches. Bing searches everywhere. Even with the last one.
Feedback: It should just work, it's a Cortana feature that doesn't work with Cortana. And I'm really shocked she Bing'd herself

Exact Phrase Spoken: Turn NFC/Cellular data on/off
Did Cortana parse this correctly: Offline, she doesn't show, so I don't know
Actual Results: Online, Bing searches. Offline, "I can't connect" answers
Feedback: It should just work. Works perfectly with wi-fi and bluetooth.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Exact Phrase Spoken: Add this location to My Places
Expected Results: Cortana to add my current coordinates to My places and ask me for a name
Actual Results: Either shows me my location or bing search depending on the variation of the question asked.
Feedback: Would also be nice if Cortana shows a list places around me as suggestions allowing me to pick from list and associated address.

Florin Micle

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Region/Language: US/English
Exact Phrase Spoken: Search my notes for filter.
Did Cortana part this correctly: Yes.
Expected Results: Search through the notes I dictated to her and look for the word filter. Read me that note if found.
Actual Results: Bing search.
Feedback: I imagine this should be easy to implement, since she's already done speech to text when I dictated the note, so it should be a simple string search or some fuzzy matching for more complex search terms. I told her to add a note with the following text "I put the filter in the cabinet". I would like to tell her to remind me that I put the filter in the cabinet, without creating an actual reminder, since I don't know when I want to be reminded about that, I just want her to write that down and when I need the filter, I want her to know what I told her about it.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Region: US English
Phrase Spoken: Where is Clippy?
Parsed Correctly: No
Actual Results: Bing search for "Where is klippe"
Expected Results: Clippy Easter egg response.

It works if you type it, but for come reason won't understand when anyone asks by name

tomzorz

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Exact Phrase Spoken: When does the next tram 51 leave?
Expected Results: In 5 minutes
Actual Results: Bing search results.
Feedback: Now that bing maps does public transport, it'd be nice to be able to ask her about the timetable for the nearest stop. (Or to be reminded when to leave the house to catch the next ride.)

rangerdogy

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Exact Phrase Spoken: How are the Royals doing?
Expected Results: The Royals are leading 5-1 in the 7th inning
Actual Results: The Royals are leading the Houston Astros 5-1 in the 7th quarter.
Feedback: She needs to learn what the language for each sport is (e.g. innings in baseball, quarters in football, periods in hockey).

drachen23

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Exact Phrase Spoken: "What's the score in the Yankee game?" and "How are the Yankees doing?"
Expected Results: The spoken results of the current score in the Yankee game
Actual Results: A bing search for the sentence as spoken
Feedback: The only phrase that seemed to get the actual spoken game score that I tried was "What's the Yankees score?" note: I have the Yankees selected as a sports interest in the notebook.

Exact Phrase Spoken: "Are the Yankees winning?"
Expected Results: The spoken results of the current score in the Yankee game
Actual Results: A bing search for the sentence as spoken, but Bing pulls up the in-progress box score from foxsports.com as the first result

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Region/Language- US English
Exact phrase spoken- Am I beautiful..
Expected result- witty reply
Actual result- Started playing Kanye west my beautiful dark twisted fantasy album.
Feedback: Music should only be played when we say the Play command followed by song name and not without play command to avoid instances like this.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Region/Language: US/US
Exact Phrase Spoken: Remind me to swing by Costco when I'm in the neighborhood / remind me to swing by Costco when I'm in the area
Expected Results: Cortana responds to ask 'Which Costco' and sets location based reminder that will pop up within 2 miles from that location
Actual Results: she asks "where do I need to remind you?"
Feedback: I would really like more 'vague'/area-based location reminders, e.g. zip code based, or 'adaptive' proximity based version. For example, if I ask 'remind me when I'm near a Petsmart', Cortana could monitor if I'm driving, reminding me e.g. within 5 miles from a Petsmart, or when I'm walking / moving slowly, reminding me only if I get within 1 mile.

The main scenarios where this fails for me: Costco is a little off my drive home. It would be great if Cortana would notice that I'm approaching a turnoff to Costco, and remind me well before that turn. Similar, there's a supermarket a bit past my home. I would like a reminder to continue on to the store before I have parked the car, but I don't see a way to set that up. I tried setting a reminder for a specific location on my commute, but it looks like the location is not polled frequently enough to notice/anticipate drive-by's.

anseld1986

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Region/Language: USA English
Exact Phrase Spoken: "Let's go to the beach house"
Did Cortana parse this correctly: Yes
Expected Results: Bring up Here Drive+ with directions to the location saved as "The Beach House" in my notebook.
Actual Results: "Okay, getting you directions to [proper address]." Shows page saying "Start Driving Directions." Opens Here Drive+ with the beach house properly set as the destination.
Feedback: Yesterday this wasn't working - today, it consistently worked perfectly. Awesome!!

Exact Phrase Spoken: "Take me to the beach house."
Expected Results: Bring up Here Drive+ with directions to the location saved as "The Beach House" in my notebook.
Actual Results: Bing web search for "take me to the beach house"
Feedback: Seems like a nuance of phrasing versus the above (working) query.

As an update, I have had mixed results with this type of query:
Exact Phrase Spoken: "Take me to the Meyer's House." (The Meyer's House is one of the places I have saved in Cortana's Notebook)
Did Cortana parse this correctly: no "Take me to Myer's House"
Expected Results: Bring up Here Drive+ with directions to the location saved as "The Meyer's House" in my notebook.
Actual Results: Brought up Here Drive+ with directions to Myers House on the Washington University Campus in St. Louis...(which is over 820 miles away from my location...)
Feedback: Looks like Cortana may be having trouble recognizing when a location is saved in the notebook or not. On a separate note, if I was going to be making a long drive, if there was expected to be rain or stormy weather on my route, it would be really nice for Cortana to point that out for me.

Exact Phrase Spoken: "Take me to Karl's House." (Karl's House is one of the places I have saved in Cortana's Notebook)
Did Cortana parse this correctly: no "Take me to Carl's house"
Expected Results: Bring up Here Drive+ with directions to the location saved as "Karl's House" in my notebook.
Actual Results: Bing search for "carl's house"
Feedback: Looks like Cortana may be having trouble recognizing when a location is saved in the notebook or not.

Exact Phrase Spoken: "Text Karl" (Where "Karl" is the nickname for one of my inner circle contacts)
Did Cortana parse this correctly: yes "Text Karl"
Expected Results: Allow me to dictate a message to Karl *****
Actual Results: "Which one?" and brings up a list of people named "Karl/Carl" in my contacts.
Feedback: Initially this wouldn't work (it only wanted to text my contacts named "Carl" and didn't let me choose between Carl and Karl). Now, although it is working, it would be nice for it to recognize that I meant the Karl in my inner contacts, since I only used his nickname. If I wanted to text Carl instead, then I could say "Not that one" or something along those lines to then bring up a list of every Karl/Carl in my contacts.

Exact Phrase Spoken: "What hockey games are on tonight?"/"What hockey teams are playing tonight?"
Expected Results: A listing of what hockey games or teams are playing tonight, with times and tv channels based on my location.
Actual Results: Bing search
Feedback: There are usually a bunch of sporting events going on, being able to have Cortana tell me which ones are going to be played and how to watch them would be really useful.

Exact Phrase Spoken: "Remind me the next time the Cubs play."
Expected Results: create a recurring reminder for Chicago Cubs games
Actual Results: tried to create a reminder "The next time the cubs play"
Feedback: Keeping track of my favorite college and professional sporting team events would be a big function of a real-life personal assistant. In some households, this could be a make-or-break job responsibility =)

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Region/Language: US/US
Exact Phrase Spoken: Remind me to swing by Costco when I'm in the neighborhood / remind me to swing by Costco when I'm in the area
Expected Results: Cortana responds to ask 'Which Costco' and sets location based reminder that will pop up within 2 miles from that location
Actual Results: she asks "where do I need to remind you?"
Feedback: I would really like more 'vague'/area-based location reminders, e.g. zip code based, or 'adaptive' proximity based version. For example, if I ask 'remind me when I'm near a Petsmart', Cortana could monitor if I'm driving, reminding me e.g. within 5 miles from a Petsmart, or when I'm walking / moving slowly, reminding me only if I get within 1 mile.

The main scenarios where this fails for me: Costco is a little off my drive home. It would be great if Cortana would notice that I'm approaching a turnoff to Costco, and remind me well before that turn. Similar, there's a supermarket a bit past my home. I would like a reminder to continue on to the store before I have parked the car, but I don't see a way to set that up. I tried setting a reminder for a specific location on my commute, but it looks like the location is not polled frequently enough to notice/anticipate drive-by's.

I realize this thread is just for submitting comments and not chit chat, but I was about to submit the same thought with one more addition, so I'll tie them together. Just take my comment below as additional feedback.

Now, the options for geofencing are either leaving or arriving to the Place saved. There should be a Near option as mentioned above with a configurable radius/distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss