Cortana Natural Language Queries - Feedback (Will go to Dev Team)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drachen23

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Region/Language: US English
Exact Phrase Spoken: Remind me to watch the Yankee game at 7:10 tomorrow.
Did Cortana parse this correctly: Yes
Expected Results: Set a reminder for tomorrow at 7:10 PM
Actual Results: Cortana set a reminder for tomorrow at 7:10 AM
Feedback: Cortana should have asked to clarify any ambiguity. I wouldn't have noticed the time immediately, but I was surprised to see it in my calendar ahead of my work meetings. As a side note, it's interesting how many refer to Cortana here as "she".

bstalzer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Exact phrase spoken: Check the balances in my (checking, credit card(s), Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Citicard, etc.) account.
Did Cortana parse this correctly? No
Expected result: Request for passphrase, then return list of accounts and balances.
Actual result: None
Feedback: This would require setup and, likely, voice tagging, but would be something that could quickly lead into innovation in payments, transfers, etc. as well.

bstalzer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Exact phrase spoken: What podcast episodes haven't I heard yet?
Did Cortana parse this correctly? No
Expected result: List of podcast episodes recently added to my subscripted list.
Actual result: None
Feedback: Since the What's New feature seems missing in the podcast app, it would be nice to have a central point of new content aggregation - Cortana. It might also be nice to be able to set notifications with Cortana to alert me to new content like this when I ask "What's new?" and/or be able to say "Let's catch up on podcasts listening"

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much for doing this!

Ran into one this morning:

Exact phrase spoken: Tell Kate that I'm going with her mom to the grocery store.
Did Cortana parse this correctly? Yes
Expected result: It would text Kate and tell her that "I'm going with your mom to the grocery store"
Actual result: Offered to text Kate "I'm going with her mom to the grocery store"
Feedback: This one's probably tricky, but it'd be great if Cortana would recognize context and interpret it correctly. If it could change the pronoun from "her" to "your" based on context, that'd be fantastic. Makes it easy and more conversational.

JDags80

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Great idea doing this...

Region/Language: USA / English
Exact Phrase Spoken: Next time i'm in the car remind me to get gas" - also tried with "my car"
Expected Results: Next time I am in my car, detected by connecting to a bluetooth device that is linked to Driving Mode, trigger my reminder.
Actual Results: "Remind you when you get to car. Is this the one you want?" - proceeds to show list of companies nearby with "Car" in the name
Feedback: Would be great if the reminder could be set to trigger when I connect to a bluetooth device linked to Driving Mode.

Exact Phrase Spoken: Next time I connect to WiFi, remind me to download 'large file x'
Expected Results: Reminder created for the next time I connect to WiFi
Actual Results: Cortana responds with "Which Contact?"
Feedback: Would be great if a reminder could be set to trigger when I connect to WiFi (even better if it could be based on WiFi network name also, but I'm not sure the exact use case scenario for that one...if I know the network name I could probably just say "when i get home", "when i get to work", "when i'm in Starbucks"

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Region/Language: USA English
Exact Phrase Spoken: Did the pirates win today?
Did Cortana part this correctly: Yes
Expected Results: Cortana to read me the score of the Pittsburgh Pirates Game eityher completed or in progress
Actual Results: She speaks the completed score correctly, but if she speaks a score in progress she says QUARTER instead of INNING
Feedback: Since she only works in America, she should know that baseball is 9 INNINGS instead of 9 QUARTERS!! :)

ewood70

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Exact Phrase Spoken: Remind me to buy flowers for Susan on Mothers day
Did Cortana parse this correctly: yes
Expected Results: Ok, I'll remind you to buy flowers for Susan on Mothers day, May 11th
Actual Results: When would you like to be reminded?
Feedback: Cortana should learn about the holidays in my country, region and religion and correlate those to dates in the current year (if no year specified)

ewood70

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Exact Phrase Spoken: when is the Susan's birthday?
Expected Results: Susan's birthday is on November 2nd. She's turning 44
Actual Results: Web search for "when is susans birthday"
Feedback: Cortana should understand my family and friends from my social networks (Facebook, Microsoft) and understand that I have a friend named Kellie who is a female and is pinned to my start screen. From the information available from the Friends shared information, Cortana should see the birthday and read that back to me, along with the age she will be if the birth year is also available.:

Last edited:

ewood70

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Exact Phrase Spoken: Set today's Bing image as my wallpaper
Expected Results: Today's Bing.com image is set as my Wallpaper within Windows and on home screen image on my Windows Phone
Actual Results: Internet search for "set today's Bing image as my wallpaper"

ewood70

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Exact Phrase Spoken: Let me know when Microsoft's stock price reaches $45
Expected Results: "Ok"
Actual Results: Internet search for "let me know when Microsoft stock price reaches $45"

ewood70

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Exact Phrase Spoken: Can you read war and peace to me?
Expected Results: "Okay, I've found the book in your collection. It looks like you've last read page 214, would you like me to continue from there?"
Actual Results: Internet search for "can you read war and peace to me"

Justin Engel

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Exact Phrase Spoken: "Next Song"
Expected Results: Play the next track and speak the name of the song and artist
Actual Results: "Ok, next track"
Feedback: I would like Cortana to tell me the name of the song and artist. I should also be able to speak back to it. If I don't like the next track then I should be able to just say next or skip and Cortana should repeat the process by playing the next track and saying the song and artist.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Region/Language: US/US
Exact Phrase Spoken: How much is a cab ride from here to San Jose
Expected Results: She'd recognize that I'm asking about cab fare, determine the distance, and estimate how much it would cost based on regional rates.
Actual Results: "Maybe the information below will help" with a map of San Jose and the distance in miles
Feedback: This is the exact kind of thing that's a pain to look up online and that Cortana could really excel at. Edit: if this is implemented, it would make sense to show contact info for local cab companies alongside with this.

Last edited:

JudaZuk

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Region/Language: United States, Swedish (Sweden) / English (United States)
Exact Phrase Spoken: Whats the weather like today at home in celcius
Expected Results: Give me the weather today for the location stored as Home in celcius
Actual Results: Cortana actually gives me the weather at my home location in Celcius
(Worth to note here is that I was at home when I did the search..

Issue is with the search I did immediatly after the one above, that gave me the wrong result.

Region/Language: United States, Swedish (Sweden) / English (United States)
Exact Phrase Spoken: Whats the weather like today at work in celcius
Expected Results: Give me the weather today for the location stored as Work in celcius
Actual Results: Cortana actually gives me the weather for my home location in Celcius instead.
(Worth to note here is that I was at home when I did the search.. as well )

So Cortana just gave me the same result I just gotten for Home, when I asked for the weather at Work.

This indicates that she actually only gave me the weather for location Home previously because that was the location I was at when I did the search.
The word "home" or "work" in the search seems to be ignored
Searching for Work, a completly diffrent location, gives me a incorrect answer, with the same exact adress in the result as for Home.

I did a search at work for the same thing but in reverse yesterday and the result where similar. I got the result for my current location instead, not the location I was asking for

hwcheng

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Region/Language: US-EN
Exact Phrase Spoken: "Remind me to collect the documents when I'm back in the office."
Expected Results: I can confirm it by replying "Yes".
Actual Results: "Yes" was correctly parsed, but Cortana keeps asking for my decision of Yes, No, or Cancel.
Feedback: Cortana should understand simple keywords when they are correctly parsed. Seems "she" is disconnected with the question.

Similar issues like this are found when calling someone. Cortana seems disconnected with the hanging issue. e.g., Cortana suddenly doesn't understand the name of contact, or doesn't understand the type of phone to dial out, etc. Quite frustrated.

Last edited:

dbooth2

May 8, 2008
Visit site
Region/Language: EN-US
Exact Phrase Spoken: Tried 'find Remote Desktop Preview in the Store' and 'install Remote Desktop Preview from the Store'
Expected Results: Open the Store app and find or install the requested app from the Store
Actual Results: Displayed web results for the correctly parsed questions
Feedback: Combination of keywords 'install' and 'the Store' should tell Cortana to open the Store app and install if an exact match is found, show search results if ambiguous or multiple results

maks327

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Exact Phrase Spoken: "Is it foggy this morning" and "is it foggy"
Did Cortana part this correctly: Yes
Expected Results: There was a dense fog advisory for my area, so I expected her to say "yes" or something to that extent.
Actual Results: She said "No, it doesn't look like it" and displayed the screenshot below.
Feedback: See the screenshot below. The weather info clearly says there's a dense fog advisory, which was very true this morning. Cortana got this one wrong even though she present the correct visual information. She needs to incorporate weather warnings into her verbal weather report. I also tried "what's the weather like this morning" and she never mentioned the fog.

fog.png

MaXi32

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Region/Language: United States / English (United States)
Exact Phrase Spoken: Cortana reads text from someone and asks whether I want to 'read it' or 'ignore it'. So, The Exact Phrase Spoken in response to the question is: 'read it'.
Did Cortana part this correctly: N/A
Expected Results: Cortana reads the text message and ask for the other actions such as 'reply, done..'
Actual Results: Cortana asks me who I'd like to text.
Feedback: This might be bug. Sometimes it works, sometimes doesn't.

bug.jpg

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Region/Language: USA English
Exact Phrase Spoken: Did Chelsea win?
Expected Results: Cortana tells me the final score from the last Chelsea match, that is Chelsea vs Atletico Madrid (Cortana knows that Chelsea is my favorite team).
Actual Results: Cortana told me the score for a different match (Chelsea vs Sunderland).
Feedback: It seems like Cortana only knows about Chelsea matches in the Premier League. Chelsea vs Sunderland was the last match Chelsea played in the Premier League. But the last match played by Chelsea was against Atletico Madrid, this was a UEFA Champions League match. Cortana also didn't display this match (Chelsea vs Atletico Madrid) in the schedule updates/score updates but Cortana displays schedule updates/score updates for all Chelsea matches in the Premier League. This is why it seems like Cortana only knows about my favorite team's matches in the Premier League, it would be cool if Cortana knew about all matches my favorite team plays regardless of the league/tournament/cup. Bing Sports knows about all the matches so hopefully this would be relatively easy to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes