Cortana only doing bing searches

Mike Santagata

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Anytime I ask Cortana a question, instead of receiving a personliazed response, I get a bing search. It's aggravating.
For example...
"who are you?
brings up bing search resuls for "who are you"
in most videos I've seen, cortana should respond by saying: I am your personal assistant... and so on and so forth.

why is cortana not responding propely?

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
This is happening to me a lot. It looks like it's going to work, since I see for example, "Who are you?" in the input box as the dictation, but it quickly changes to "who are you" and defaults to a search. All other tasks work fine, but questions have not been working.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
For some reason, mine won't tell me what the fox says, even though I got it to work in the emulator. Other than that, mine has been working mostly fine.

Blakey.

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, it's looking like a hard reset with a fresh install is the answer. I just did one and Cortana now does searches properly for me.

Blakey.

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
So did you reset your whole phone to do this? If you do this do you loose all your app installs?

That is what I did. And yes. However, the redesigned store allows you to see what apps you have previously installed and go through and select all that you'd like to reinstall. I just took a screenshot of how my homescreen was so I'd know how to arrange it again.

Blakey.

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Just got a new 1520 so I'm hesitant to do the reset. Did you do the reset from the settings?

Yes. Initially I tried a soft reset and it didn't work, so I did a full reset from the settings. Just make sure you have photos backed up to OneDrive along with anything else you want backed up. Just in case. I did a fresh install and am getting it all set back up now, but I am glad I did. I'm also pretty sure the Podcasts app wasn't present on my initial install, and now it is. And now my comma key has disappeared like it was supposed to in the keyboard.

Blakey.

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Mine is behaving like this also. No Witty responses. I also have a comma key on my keyboard. Was the comma key suppose to go away?

Could have sworn mine went away. It's back though. Perhaps it was just one of the keyboards that didn't have it for email or something. Admittedly, I mostly use an iPhone. But after a full reset, Cortana works completely for me now.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Patience seems to work best...2 hours after I installed 8.1, and playing with cortana, JUST now she wanted to learn more about me.... 2 hours later.

Blakey.

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if that's the only way to make it work. That's just the only thing that worked for me after going through all the different setting and trying different things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro