Could a 'Real' Windows Edition iPhone ever be possible?

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Roll with me a sec. I was watching the MS build 2017. They used iPhones, a lot, during the presentation, and MS has embraced iOS and android for great Microsoft apps, even better than the ones on WP. And, after hearing about the Samsung S8 "windows edition" it got me thinking crazy things.
I am going to bypass the behind the scenes agreements that it would take for this to happen and just throw a wild idea out there.
MS goes to Apple, (kind of like they did with Samsung), and works out a deal that get Apple to release an iPhone that is an actual REAL Microsoft Edition iPhone. Not a fake deal like the bogus Samsung S8 version that isn't really a MS edition at all.
The core OS would of course be iOS but it would ship with Cortana, office, outlook email, calendar, etc. etc. as Core Defaults.
That would give MS full access to the bazillion iPhone apps in the app store, an OS that can be updated (unlike android) as well as get updates for MS apps and services thru the app store.

I know it sounds crazy, but this would open up new revenue for apple. Not only would they be able to sell the normal iPhone as they always have, but they would gain MS users who want to use MS services and apps, but also want their local bank app and 900,000 other missing in the window phone app store.
MS could add in Core iOS support to Windows desktop for things like Mac users enjoy such as handoff, cloud syncing etc.
Even if MS later decided to also have a Surface phone 4-5 years down the road, they wouldn't have to stop supporting the iOS alternative. Don't get me wrong, I would also love a WP / Surface phone, but even if the Surface phone came out tomorrow and had the best hardware and software that MS has EVER put on a device, it won't fix the massive APP GAP that keeps people from moving to Windows phone. The general public (not the tech nerds like us) want a phone that has access to everything out there, kids and Lots of adults won't but a phone that doesn't have Pokémon.

I am sure that MS 'could' work something out with apple if they wanted something like this to happen. Simply give Mac and iOS users free MS office. (maybe with in app purchases add on / upgrades, like more One drive storage or something)

This would also free up money on the Apple side because they could simply stop working on / updating Pages, Keynote and numbers that nearly no one uses anyways.
Apple would be able to have the added 'value' of saying, All macs/iOS devices come with Free Office Which means every time there is a Mac / iOS commercial, they also mention MS in nearly every ad.
[[ just Word, PowerPoint, Excel. Outlook for Mac could still be a paid add on service for MS, as well as One Drive would still default to 5GB with paid storage options ]]
Of course if you have a 365 account, you get EVERYTHING just as you do now.

Microsoft scores on this set up because no matter if people use mac or windows, they are still using MS products and services. MS could even make Edge Browser for Mac. (I would use it, I love Edge)
MS could also piggy back on iOS cloud services for syncing (something Apple is Very Good at)

I just feel like this is a win win for Apple and MS. Stop fighting each other so much, and see what you gain by Teaming up a little. There IS a way where both Apple AND Microsoft benefit from this.

I would never use another phone if my make believe Apple/Windows Phone existed.

I have said this a million times. Windows phone OS is the best OS EVER put on a phone. I WISH with all my heart that it was a viable 3rd option, but, because of apps, it is Not an option to 99% of the world. I literally sadden every time I pick up my windows phone sitting 2" to the left of my iPhone and know that if the WP had apps, I would ditch iPhone in a heartbeat.
MS can't fix this app gap. Universal apps will NOT fix this problem.
MS needs a new idea. Think Different.

I just wanted to throw this out there and hope people can respect the idea of companies leaning on each other to benefit both parties and not just be a hater because of some name brand at the top.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Roll with me a sec. I was watching the MS build 2017. They used iPhones, a lot, during the presentation, and MS has embraced iOS and android for great Microsoft apps, even better than the ones on WP. And, after hearing about the Samsung S8 "windows edition" it got me thinking crazy things.
I am going to bypass the behind the scenes agreements that it would take for this to happen and just throw a wild idea out there.
MS goes to Apple, (kind of like they did with Samsung), and works out a deal that get Apple to release an iPhone that is an actual REAL Microsoft Edition iPhone. Not a fake deal like the bogus Samsung S8 version that isn't really a MS edition at all.
The core OS would of course be iOS but it would ship with Cortana, office, outlook email, calendar, etc. etc. as Core Defaults.
That would give MS full access to the bazillion iPhone apps in the app store, an OS that can be updated (unlike android) as well as get updates for MS apps and services thru the app store.

I know it sounds crazy, but this would open up new revenue for apple. Not only would they be able to sell the normal iPhone as they always have, but they would gain MS users who want to use MS services and apps, but also want their local bank app and 900,000 other missing in the window phone app store.
MS could add in Core iOS support to Windows desktop for things like Mac users enjoy such as handoff, cloud syncing etc.
Even if MS later decided to also have a Surface phone 4-5 years down the road, they wouldn't have to stop supporting the iOS alternative. Don't get me wrong, I would also love a WP / Surface phone, but even if the Surface phone came out tomorrow and had the best hardware and software that MS has EVER put on a device, it won't fix the massive APP GAP that keeps people from moving to Windows phone. The general public (not the tech nerds like us) want a phone that has access to everything out there, kids and Lots of adults won't but a phone that doesn't have Pokémon.

I am sure that MS 'could' work something out with apple if they wanted something like this to happen. Simply give Mac and iOS users free MS office. (maybe with in app purchases add on / upgrades, like more One drive storage or something)

This would also free up money on the Apple side because they could simply stop working on / updating Pages, Keynote and numbers that nearly no one uses anyways.
Apple would be able to have the added 'value' of saying, All macs/iOS devices come with Free Office Which means every time there is a Mac / iOS commercial, they also mention MS in nearly every ad.
[[ just Word, PowerPoint, Excel. Outlook for Mac could still be a paid add on service for MS, as well as One Drive would still default to 5GB with paid storage options ]]
Of course if you have a 365 account, you get EVERYTHING just as you do now.

Microsoft scores on this set up because no matter if people use mac or windows, they are still using MS products and services. MS could even make Edge Browser for Mac. (I would use it, I love Edge)
MS could also piggy back on iOS cloud services for syncing (something Apple is Very Good at)

I just feel like this is a win win for Apple and MS. Stop fighting each other so much, and see what you gain by Teaming up a little. There IS a way where both Apple AND Microsoft benefit from this.

I would never use another phone if my make believe Apple/Windows Phone existed.

I have said this a million times. Windows phone OS is the best OS EVER put on a phone. I WISH with all my heart that it was a viable 3rd option, but, because of apps, it is Not an option to 99% of the world. I literally sadden every time I pick up my windows phone sitting 2" to the left of my iPhone and know that if the WP had apps, I would ditch iPhone in a heartbeat.
MS can't fix this app gap. Universal apps will NOT fix this problem.
MS needs a new idea. Think Different.

I just wanted to throw this out there and hope people can respect the idea of companies leaning on each other to benefit both parties and not just be a hater because of some name brand at the top.

Apple has enough cash, on hand (actual money not revenue), it could buy just under half of MS right now. Partnerships don't tend to run between "top dog" and "players aiming for the top". MS and apple are natural enemies.

MS approach appears to be the underdog play of seeking increased compatibility. Something that will probably pay off as the IoT rises, and incompatibility becomes a major headache for consumers.

Whilst you might lament UWP, its well ahead of any other scaling platform (ie there are none). Apple and Google will both make hybrid OSes, and like windows, to some extend they'll have to start from scratch (because scaling apps are something people don't write). UWP will also get some nice growth as windows on arm is released on tablets and notebooks, and windows 10, scorpio etc grows.

What may feel like "app gap" is actually "first to market".

For example, everyone knows VR will grow, but find me a AAA game that plays on HTC vive? Same with say IMAX - years ago it only had docos, now virtually every movie is in 3d IMAX. iPhone? Originally it had no apps. On and on. Scaling apps that work well on both desktop and mobile, or in fact any platform, are a new game. It's almost a reset point.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
This would be an interesting idea for sure. I would buy one myself.

I don't know if Apple would do it though.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
MS and Apple are not enemies. Apple is still in business because Bill Gates kept Apple alive (long time ago)
Microsoft NEEDS Apple to not be a monopoly. (Linux doesn't count, they never gained any real user base)
Gates knew this and is why he helped apple stay alive. MS was just poorly ran.
Ballmer literally Laughed at the iPhone and dismissed it like there was no way anyone would want a touch screen phone.
Ballmer had no vision what so ever. Jobs scored, Ballmer had the biggest botch in history. Missing the smart phone market nearly completely.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Apple doesn't allow anyone to preinstall stuff or otherwise tinker with iOS in any form so I doubt it. They're perfectly happy keeping users in their ecosystem by default.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Apple doesn't allow anyone to preinstall stuff or otherwise tinker with iOS in any form so I doubt it. They're perfectly happy keeping users in their ecosystem by default.

Well technically the Microsoft Edition S8 isn't any different from the regular S8 and doesn't have anything extra installed from the box either. The difference is you have to buy it and have it setup at the Microsoft store, and that is where all the apps are installed. At least that is my understanding.

Microsoft could do the same for the iphone, but I doubt Apple would ever let that happen.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I made my iphones work well with Windows apps. Now that you can "uninstall" Apple apps it makes it much cleaner, but I understand what you are saying, and have experienced both ecosystems Microsofted to the max. Either will work if you are entrenched in the Micorosoft ecosystem. Honestly if one would fully integrate Onedrive into their photos app (be able to browse all photos like you can on Windows) it would be the icing on the cake for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb