Could anyone explain to me why Android doesn't show how much memory Facebook app uses

Quinn FitzGerald

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Facebook on my friends Galaxy Nexus seems to "hide" how much memory the facebook is using.

Even when he has nothing else running, facebook tells the OS that it is using 30MB of RAM or so (in backround) and his device ends up over two hundred MB less free RAM than when he regularly has nothing else open (and with facebook application uninstalled). This problem happens (although to a much lesser degree) even when facebook is closed and not officially backrounding.

I believe he is on 4.3 (or whatever version that is officially supported on the phone is). He is not running a custom ROM.

Can anyone explain to me how facebook gets away with lying to the OS about how much RAM it uses.

As someone who used iOS (until about 8 months ago, jailbroken 5.1 I believe) and currently uses WP8, the idea that an application is allowed to lie to the OS is beyond me.

At least, an application that is officially on the store and one that I imagine is quite popular.

WHY is Android like that? I imagine google has competent coding team that made Android, and that it would have this huge issue confuses me.

-Q

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos